More conference expansion talk

thunderz7

1st Team
Nov 6, 2001
northeast alabama usa
Everyone seems to want to overload the SEC with powerful football programs. I think the SEC should invite the whole ACC, it would expand to several large markets, includes several powerful basketball programs, and would give some relief weeks in football, no need to have a killer opponent every week.

Reactions: NoNC4Tubs

Toddrn

All-SEC
Nov 29, 2006
Woodstock, Ga
Everyone seems to want to overload the SEC with powerful football programs. I think the SEC should invite the whole ACC, it would expand to several large markets, includes several powerful basketball programs, and would give some relief weeks in football, no need to have a killer opponent every week.

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB)
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La
Thanks for posting. Two things.
1. Please make yourself familiar with our rules. Your title should always be very clear. Anything that is vague or ambiguous is what we call a “teaser title”. We want our posters to know what the subject matter is before they dig in to the thread. In this case, “expansion” likely refers to the conference. But just try to make sure you add a few extra words to make it clear.

2. Please try to scan down the message board to make sure that you are not creating a new thread for something that’s already been discussed elsewhere. It keeps the board from getting cluttered with multiple threads all talking about the same thing.

happy posting. Welcome.

NoNC4Tubs

Hall of Fame
Nov 13, 2010
There is a lot of merit to that idea, actually. :unsure:

But not necessarily ALL of the ACC...:cool:

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
Do North Carolina, Duke and UVa make up in basketball for what they lack in football? I honestly don't think so.

Then there's the rest of the conference that doesn't bring much of anything to the table beyond lacrosse and soccer.

I'd certainly take Clemson. The rest of them, not so much.

Note: I know Notre Dame is sort of a member of the ACC. But for a lot of reasons, they won't join a conference like that. I have zero doubt the SEC would welcome them....but it takes two, and I just don't see it happening.

Reactions: NoNC4Tubs

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
www.myspace.com
Do North Carolina, Duke and UVa make up in basketball for what they lack in football? I honestly don't think so.
I can say unequivocally yes for North Carolina. I've dug into some of these aspects over the years and North Carolina is remarkable in that they are far from a Kansas or Duke in football (so reasonable attendance/popularity/ratings) but they are massive in terms of a basketball brand.

To give an example in merch sales they are usually around the top 10 overall. That's right there with Oklahoma, FSU, and well ahead of Clemson. Their top basketball ratings are second to none and rival the top football games, I remember looking at t3 rights before they all got absorbed and North Carolina's tier 3 rights where right there with Alabama's, which were far more valuable than most other schools. North Carolina's T3 rights were around ten times as valuable as Arkansas's for example.

This whole thing is then magnified by the SEC Network which still generates a lot of revenue. There's something like 200 baseball and basketball games on the network, and North Carolina has the most valuable of this type of content. Then there's the new state aspect, I think I came up with a number of about 7 million per year more in SEC network money going to the SEC simply by adding North Carolina over Clemson.

Virginia is lesser in all of this, the primary thing being comparing the value of the state of Virginia against Clemson as a football brand. I would favor Virginia due to the fact that this is basically a zero sum game. For one SEC team to win, another has to lose. The Big 10 actually has done wonderfully with the addition of Maryland and Rutgers. Their ratings have gone up, their top programs have thrived and they are due to a big payday. This is owed somewhat to realizing that football powers vs. football powers still only produces one winner.

Reactions: BhamToTexas

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
No sense in taking on the whole thing. Too much redundancy and too much dead weight in the northeast.

UNC, Virginia, or NC State, Virginia Tech are probably the most valuable pairs from the standpoint of new territories and large populations bases. The flagships are probably preferred, but NC State and Virginia Tech will produce quality football with strong football fan bases, and decent success in other sports. But again, the SEC is going to prefer UNC and Virginia as the overall value is greater with both.

Beyond that, Clemson, FSU, Miami, and even Louisville are strong athletic departments that do make money but are simply redundant. I could see the SEC adding them only to block the Big Ten if the Big Ten were interested in any of them.

The rest of the conference is trash. Throw it away to the AAC or Sun Belt.

Reactions: KrAzY3

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama

Then there's the rest of the conference that doesn't bring much of anything to the table beyond lacrosse and soccer.

I'd certainly take Clemson. The rest of them, not so much.

Note: I know Notre Dame is sort of a member of the ACC. But for a lot of reasons, they won't join a conference like that. I have zero doubt the SEC would welcome them....but it takes two, and I just don't see it happening.
Clemson has rich alumni but thats really it..

In terms of value for the ACC

1) Notre Dame
2) North Carolina
3) Virginia
4) Florida St

Everyone else goes from meh to just outright bad. Yes Clemson carries football but what else? Virginia and North Carolina are multi sport teams other than football that have strong fan support. Florida St is just Florida in value. Miami is a fake fanbase that only gets up when they think they have a chance at something big. There are far more Gator and Noles fans in Miami than Canes fans. It is why anyone who is saying "Im hearing that the SEC and Miami are in talks" should be instantly dismissed as a pot stirrer.

Virginia and North Carolina are the last battlegrounds to have because both the SEC and B1G desperately want both.

Reactions: KrAzY3

JDCrimson

All-American
Feb 12, 2006
I would consider annexing all the ACC team below the Mason Dixon line and south of the Ohio River and call it a day. Let the Big 10 absorb Pitt, BC, and Cuse.

The SEC would get some significant brand value in basketball and a little bump in football without upsetting the power structure in football.

While maybe not in contention for the SEC championship. There would be a lot competition in mid-tier football within the conference. Vandy v Wake or Duke would create academic rivalries within the conference.

Reactions: deliveryman35

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - Bryce Young NIL Jersey

Your purchase through our TideFans.shop links helps support the site! Thanks!