More postponements (and cancelations) of Week 12 (11/21) games

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Setting aside from the risk of spreading the disease, has anyone heard of college athletes that have become seriously ill? I'm not aware of any but certainly could have missed what would assuredly have been a blaring headline.
Jamain Stephens - Died from blood clots in his heart while suffering from Covid and pneumonia. 20 years old. College football player. Father was a 1st round draft pick for the Steelers.

TideMan09

Hall of Fame
Jan 17, 2009
Anniston, Alabama
Time will tell more, but there's evidence of at least some medium term problems with the heart of some athletes who contract COVID-19.
That's scary too think about for us suffering from heart failure & obviously not as well conditioned as college football players..

I hate wearing a freaking mask, but, I'm scared not too with this 2nd wave sweeping across the US right now

rolltide_21

Hall of Fame
Dec 9, 2007
NW AL
Jamain Stephens - Died from blood clots in his heart while suffering from Covid and pneumonia. 20 years old. College football player. Father was a 1st round draft pick for the Steelers.
I took his question as asking have any contracted Covid from football related activities and died from it. That was not the case with this young man.

Regardless, itā€™s a shame he died so young. Only 20 years old. So very sad.

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La
Whatā€™s going to be so ironic at the end of this, is when all the states regardless of lockdown and mask mandates all end up with the same percentage of infected people.

Because looking at that map ā€” all the hottest spots now werenā€™t hot earlier this year.

We are going to find out it was all a big social experiment and no matter what we did X% were going to get it and Y% were going to die from it

Padreruf

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2001
Charleston, South Carolina
Whatā€™s going to be so ironic at the end of this, is when all the states regardless of lockdown and mask mandates all end up with the same percentage of infected people.

Because looking at that map ā€” all the hottest spots now werenā€™t hot earlier this year.

We are going to find out it was all a big social experiment and no matter what we did X% were going to get it and Y% were going to die from it
You may be correct, barring a total shut down. The states with newly raging rates never really had mask rules in place. I do think that if I wear a mask, socially distance, and avoid crowds altogether, I dramatically lower my chances of being in X or Y. At the end of the day if we would all just act in that way, we would lower the infection rate incredibly. It's like what we used to tell teenagers: if you don't have sex then you don't have to worry about pregnancy or STD's. Behavioral modification lowers the odds of infection, but I'm sure it will never be 0.

CB4

Hall of Fame
Aug 8, 2011
Birmingham, AL
I took his question as asking have any contracted Covid from football related activities and died from it. That was not the case with this young man.

Regardless, itā€™s a shame he died so young. Only 20 years old. So very sad.
The more we *think* we know about this virus, the more we understand what we really donā€™t know. At first it was assumed this would follow patterns of similar coronaviruses, with patients having
respiratory issues (asthma, COPD, etc) at higher risk. What we are beginning to see now is it seems to have a much greater vascular inflammatory effect putting those vascular disease and diabetes at greater risk.

One thing for certain; the greater number of co-morbidities you have, the greater your risk for serious complications or death. The average number of co-morbidities in COVID related deaths in this country has been 2.6 (per CDC).

It is a absolute shame this young manā€™s life ended abruptly at age twenty. It is also a tragedy that we have an epidemic of morbid obesity, Type 2 diabetes (affecting even children in their early teens), metabolic syndrome, and cardiovascular disease in our nation. Viruses are opportunistic.They attack first the old, ill, and frail that are immunologically suppressed. But the next on the agenda are those with underlying medical conditions.

Did COVID kill this young man? Mostly likely it was a very large contributing factor. But just looking at him carrying 350+ lbs, and central (mid waist) obesity, Iā€™m guessing they will find he had other health issues as well.

Which then could bring the question a) if he had an inflammatory vascular issue, pre-diabetes, or co-morbid circumstances, shouldnā€™t it have been caught on a normal pre-season physical and b) should he have been playing football at all?

The major point is regardless of what media talking heads, politicians, or the most current medical expert may have to say, when it comes to this virus, they simply ā€œdo not know what they donā€™t knowā€. It is the proverbial riddle, surrounded by a mystery, wrapped in an enigma.

There will be vaccines in the short term to offer treatment and hope. But it could be years before we truly understand this virus.

• Thank You
Reactions: Padreruf

dtgreg

All-American
Jul 24, 2000
Tuscaloosa
www.electricmonkeywrench.com
The more we *think* we know about this virus, the more we understand what we really donā€™t know. At first it was assumed this would follow patterns of similar coronaviruses, with patients having
respiratory issues (asthma, COPD, etc) at higher risk. What we are beginning to see now is it seems to have a much greater vascular inflammatory effect putting those vascular disease and diabetes at greater risk.

One thing for certain; the greater number of co-morbidities you have, the greater your risk for serious complications or death. The average number of co-morbidities in COVID related deaths in this country has been 2.6 (per CDC).

It is a absolute shame this young manā€™s life ended abruptly at age twenty. It is also a tragedy that we have an epidemic of morbid obesity, Type 2 diabetes (affecting even children in their early teens), metabolic syndrome, and cardiovascular disease in our nation. Viruses are opportunistic.They attack first the old, ill, and frail that are immunologically suppressed. But the next on the agenda are those with underlying medical conditions.

Did COVID kill this young man? Mostly likely it was a very large contributing factor. But just looking at him carrying 350+ lbs, and central (mid waist) obesity, Iā€™m guessing they will find he had other health issues as well.

Which then could bring the question a) if he had an inflammatory vascular issue, pre-diabetes, or co-morbid circumstances, shouldnā€™t it have been caught on a normal pre-season physical and b) should he have been playing football at all?

The major point is regardless of what media talking heads, politicians, or the most current medical expert may have to say, when it comes to this virus, they simply ā€œdo not know what they donā€™t knowā€. It is the proverbial riddle, surrounded by a mystery, wrapped in an enigma.

There will be vaccines in the short term to offer treatment and hope. But it could be years before we truly understand this virus.
The game we love has a dirty, dark side. He might have "failed his physical" to be recruited by a power 5 or ethical program. But, if his size and ability was tempting to a better program and he was desperate enough, he could find a lower tier program willing to "give him a chance" even though doctors recommended against it. I know we've had guys transfer because our doctors thought they should not play; risk to their lives and health was too great. Some managed to find other programs with doctors who had a "different opinion". Some players are from such desperate backgrounds they feel they really have nothing to lose. Kind of an indictment but I'll stop.

The Ols

Hall of Fame
Jul 8, 2012
Cumming,Ga.
You may be correct, barring a total shut down. The states with newly raging rates never really had mask rules in place. I do think that if I wear a mask, socially distance, and avoid crowds altogether, I dramatically lower my chances of being in X or Y. At the end of the day if we would all just act in that way, we would lower the infection rate incredibly. It's like what we used to tell teenagers: if you don't have sex then you don't have to worry about pregnancy or STD's. Behavioral modification lowers the odds of infection, but I'm sure it will never be 0.
...and that worked so well that we got.....Milennials!!! šŸ¤£ (Kinda blue)

jashleyren2

1st Team
Aug 27, 2018
I hate wearing a freaking mask, but, I'm scared not too with this 2nd wave sweeping across the US right now
It's the reason why I've stopped visiting the gym since Friday the 3rd of November. This thing ramped up fast after Halloween and election day. My frivolous fitness goals can take a break. Still enjoying sunny days outdoors on my bike. Lord, please don't let Alabama adopt California's "mask if outside your home" ordinances.

Reactions: TideMan09

bamamick

All-American
Feb 22, 2005
This is why we should celebrate every single game we get to play like it's a bowl game. I just got back from Colorado and Boulder County went into a serious lockdown, so much so that I doubt they play another homegame this year. This is the way of things, and we are just going to have to appreciate what we have had and look forward to what we hope will be better days.

Reactions: teamplayer

BamaNation

Publisher and Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Apr 9, 1999
Silicon Slopes
TideFans.com
He's not the only one. And for what? Freaking money! I sincerely hope the NCAA and the conference offices can sleep well snuggling with their blood money checkbooks.
Individual agency anyone? I realize the times we live in we (you / others) want to blame everybody but the person who actually makes an individual choice, but, nobody forced him to play. We're not in a despot country, yet, where athletes are required to perform by the PTB. In fact, there were easy outs provided for all who wished to use them. That may be a harsh way to view it but it's the only way to rationally react to these types of anecdotal stories when people are flinging accusations all over the place.

Just in case you missed it since you're new ...

Last edited:

rolltide_21

Hall of Fame
Dec 9, 2007
NW AL
Individual agency anyone? I realize the times we live in we (you / others) want to blame everybody but the person who actually makes an individual choice, but, nobody forced him to play. We're not in a despot country, yet, where athletes are required to perform by the PTB. In fact, there were easy outs provided for all who wished to use them. That may be a harsh way to view it but it's the only way to rationally react to these types of anecdotal stories when people are flinging accusations all over the place.

Just in case you missed it since you're new ...

Add to the fact this kid played for a D2 school which is not playing football this fall. So, this example doesnt support his thesis, no matter how misguided it is.

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
Mountainous Northern California

Yep. Wearing black at night and walking onto a busy highway will have zero bearing on your being injured or killed. Makes perfect sense.

I'm not a calvinist - your destiny is not predetermined. It is often what you make it, for better or worse, though chance does play a role.

Thankfully, Coach Saban is doing things pretty much the right way and it has paid off. I hope everyone else will follow his lead on that. Just a bit longer to go before a vaccine, people.

Reactions: Tide Rev

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La
Yep. Wearing black at night and walking onto a busy highway will have zero bearing on your being injured or killed. Makes perfect sense.

I'm not a calvinist - your destiny is not predetermined. It is often what you make it, for better or worse, though chance does play a role.

Thankfully, Coach Saban is doing things pretty much the right way and it has paid off. I hope everyone else will follow his lead on that. Just a bit longer to go before a vaccine, people.
Iā€™m not saying you shouldnā€™t take precautions. Iā€™m saying that When all is said and done, whether your tactic was herd immunity or spread it out over time, the number will be the number. And they will all be relatively similar. Even now 80%+ of the states are within 3% points of each other

Thatā€™s pretty even.

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
Mountainous Northern California
Iā€™m not saying you shouldnā€™t take precautions. Iā€™m saying that When all is said and done, whether your tactic was herd immunity or spread it out over time, the number will be the number. And they will all be relatively similar. Even now 80%+ of the states are within 3% points of each other

Thatā€™s pretty even.

And my point is it's all dependent on individual behaviors. If more people behave stupidly then more people will win stupid prizes or suffer from the stupid decisions of others. Same for good decisions. We both know the mandates have been a joke with no enforcement and limited buy-in from the public. We're seeing the results now of that. Change it at the individual level millions of times over and we could see a different result.

• Thank You
Reactions: B1GTide and Con

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
And my point is it's all dependent on individual behaviors. If more people behave stupidly then more people will win stupid prizes or suffer from the stupid decisions of others. Same for good decisions. We both know the mandates have been a joke with no enforcement and limited buy-in from the public. We're seeing the results now of that. Change it at the individual level millions of times over and we could see a different result.
The proof is in countries like South Korea and Australia - Democratic societies that allowed their government to set rules for their behavior that followed the science. As a result of their decisive action, very few lives have been lost in these countries, the spread has been controlled, and their economies are still thriving.

None of this is inevitable. We decide - we, the people. We are Americans. WE can do this. Will we choose to?

We can do this safely in football. We can do this safely in every aspect of our lives.

DzynKingRTR

TideFans Legend
Dec 17, 2003
Vinings, ga., usa
The proof is in countries like South Korea and Australia - Democratic societies that allowed their government to set rules for their behavior that followed the science. As a result of their decisive action, very few lives have been lost in these countries, the spread has been controlled, and their economies are still thriving.

None of this is inevitable. We decide - we, the people. We are Americans. WE can do this. Will we choose to?

We can do this safely in football. We can do this safely in every aspect of our lives.
MLB, NBA and NHL showed everyone how it can be done.

Reactions: B1GTide

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!ā€></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.