More Trouble for LSU & Orgeron Dodges an Invitation from the Legislature

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
Couldn’t decide if this is Football or NS, but because the NS aspects involve football, I put it here.

Today, USA Today published some damning articles involving LSU.

The big one is that Sharon Lewis, LSU’s Associate Athletic Director for Recruiting, is filing a lawsuit against a laundry list of people for harassment, retaliation and creating a hostile workplace. She alleges that it all started when she reported Les Miles’ initial Title IX violation, pretty soon after he arrived on campus.

Among others, she’s suing her direct supervisors and Taylor Porter, the Baton Rouge law firm that LSU AD hired to conduct an internal investigation that Lewis alleges was a whitewash.

The Husch Blackwell law firm was hired by the Louisiana legislature to conduct a more objective investigation, and blew the top off of the situation several months ago.

Related to that, the Louisiana State Senate asked Ed Orgeron to answer questions related to all this. Orgeron declined personal testimony, and instead plans to offer a written statement. USA Today didn’t confirm reports that the written statement was an indecipherable crayon scrawl, in a language not believed to be English.

Lewis is also filing a civil claim under RICO. I always thought of that as a criminal statute, but apparently it as a civil aspect to it.

Interesting sidelight is that Title IX and RICO are federal statutes. So trials, if any, would be in federal court before a federal judge. Point being, it’s a lot harder to wrangle legal home cooking in federal court than it is a friendly state or municipal court.

DogPatch

Suspended
Dec 4, 2018
Tuscaloosa
It seems like she’s trying for penalties for all of them because some of them committed a crime. The idea being that the University is the criminal organization. I’m probably closer to being a coin flipping maniac than a lawyer.
Oh yeah, I get that, BUT there has to be some level, however small, of truth behind the LSU athletic department being run more like the Mafia, than a traditional athletic department, or you would never even mention it, much less file such a lawsuit.

Reactions: dtgreg

AlexanderFan

Hall of Fame
Jul 23, 2004
Birmingham
Oh yeah, I get that, BUT there has to be some level, however small, of truth behind the LSU athletic department being run more like the Mafia, than a traditional athletic department, or you would never even mention it, much less file such a lawsuit.
It could just be a philosophical argument to the judge that a group of people all working for the same entity, committing various crimes would qualify as a “criminal organization “ and thus make available stiffer penalties for the individuals because of the idea they work together.

She’s trying to nuke them from orbit to be sure.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.