Most Overrated Bama Player As A Pro?

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
Interesting perspective about Joe and you're probably right about Stabler. It's just a shame JoeWilly had bad knees/injury luck.

But, it's also hard to compare QBs from the pros in the 60's and 70's to now, when guys come out of HS, ready for college and some ready for the NFL in 3 short years.

The QB is SO MUCH better and more competitive today than back in those days IMO.
Well even Bart had a better career as a passer than BOTH of them. My point is Joe Namath is given legend status, and Bart and Kenny are rarely talked about amongst Bama fans as great NFL qbs.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
Well even Bart had a better career as a passer than BOTH of them. My point is Joe Namath is given legend status, and Bart and Kenny are rarely talked about amongst Bama fans as great NFL qbs.
Yeah, I understand. I was thinking more about how our expectations have probably changed about QBS. When Star died and they showed some of his footage I was amazed at how awkward he looked as a passer.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
I still wear my Trent tee shirt. I have no idea what happened to him in the NFL or afterward. Both he and Lacy just seemed to land in the wrong places. Another RB who failed to meet NFL expectations was Siran Stacy. I hope that he is doing okay now. I know that his life was torn apart in a car accident a while back.

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
I still wear my Trent tee shirt. I have no idea what happened to him in the NFL or afterward. Both he and Lacy just seemed to land in the wrong places. Another RB who failed to meet NFL expectations was Siran Stacy. I hope that he is doing okay now. I know that his life was torn apart in a car accident a while back.
He lost his wife and all but one child. To a drunk driver. The last I had heard he was a minister, maybe he was before the wreck, but that he was traveling and speaking.

I have no doubt that any of these players could have made it in the NFL, they were good enough, but circumstances simply did not allow it. It happens in all walks of life.

• Thank You
Reactions: Con and B1GTide

BamaHoosier

All-American
Jan 17, 2011
Noblesville Indiana
I think it’s a good question, and there’s a pretty obvious answer that will be mentioned more than any other. It’s Trent Richardson.

I absolutely loved him coming out of Tuscaloosa and thought he’d be a hall of famer. I also thought his rookie year was largely overlooked. People forget how close he got to 1000 yards, and that was with him missing several games to end the year.

When my Colts traded for him I told everyone I knew that he was the missing piece of the franchise. That between him and Luck we’d replace the Patriots as the perineal AFC Super Bowl contender. Even after he’d fallen off the face of the earth, I still went to bat for him with everyone thinking he’d eventually sort it out... but as we all know that never happened.

There are a lot of reasons why he didn’t succeed, and they’ve all been beaten to death. I always thought the big bruiser had just fallen out of style. Although Derrick Henry, who has similar measurables just a different running style, has proven me wrong since entering the league. Unfortunately something just never clicked for TR and we’ll never know how good he could have been had it all come together.

I know the offensive style in the NFL has changed drastically over the years, but I’m staunchly convinced though that Trent’s career will be a factor in why you’ll never see a RB taken top 3 again. A handful will sneak into the top 5, as we’ve seen with Fournette and Elliott, but I don’t think we’ll ever see another RB go as high as Trent did. Too much positional risk.

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
The funny thing is, Kenny was just as larger than life than Joe. But I think being in New York helped amplify Namath's star power.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
I'm not as big of an NFL fan as a college football fan. But I know that getting in the right place with the right system plays a significant role in a player's NFL success. I don't want to derail the conversation with the next name I'm about to mention. But I don't see Tom Brady being "Tom Brady" if he was drafted by Cleveland in 2000. Not saying he wouldn't have had ANY success. But I'm guessing he wouldn't be headed to the HOF either.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
I'm not as big of an NFL fan as a college football fan. But I know that getting in the right place with the right system plays a significant role in a player's NFL success. I don't want to derail the conversation with the next name I'm about to mention. But I don't see Tom Brady being "Tom Brady" if he was drafted by Cleveland in 2000. Not saying he wouldn't have had ANY success. But I'm guessing he wouldn't be headed to the HOF either.
I've thought about that too.

The same thing we are saying about QBs getting matched with the right situation actually applies to most type of careers. A good match is very underrated for success.

CoachJeff

Suspended
Jan 21, 2014
Shelby County Alabama
Very true.Brady owes his success to playing under the greatest NFL coach ever. If he has gone to any other team he’d never have won any Super Bowls.

Imagine Aaron Rodgers with that defense!

Reactions: B1GTide

CrimsonProf

Hall of Fame
Dec 30, 2006
Birmingham, Alabama
If Vontez Burfict doesn't act like an idiot, AJ would have taken the Bengals to the divisional round in the playoffs and then who knows. Either way, the guy has the tools to take the reigns of a team but it just hasn't worked out.

• Thank You
Reactions: TideEngineer08

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
Why are we talking about this?

So far, it's been a civil discussion, and hasn't devolved into bashing of players, and therefore doesn't rise to the level of shutting down a thread.

But, again, why are we talking about this?

We know who they are. They themselves know who they are. Let's leave it to other fanbases to dig up the bodies.

• Thank You
Reactions: crimsonaudio

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
If Vontez Burfict doesn't act like an idiot, AJ would have taken the Bengals to the divisional round in the playoffs and then who knows. Either way, the guy has the tools to take the reigns of a team but it just hasn't worked out.
I would say it was more Pac Man trying to punch Joey Porter than Burfict. Burfict hit while unnecessary can be defended as trying to make sure Antonio Brown doesnt catch the ball. Had it just been Burfict's penalty then Reed is still attempting a 50 yard field goal on a wet field.

But lets not pretend AJ was playing great in that game either. It was 15-0 heading in the 4th Steelers. The Bengals didnt start to make a run until Ben Roethlisberger got hurt on the last play. AJ was also going against one of the worst passing defenses in the NFL that year. It was literally a game that changed because two injuries (BR and AB).

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
I would say it was more Pac Man trying to punch Joey Porter than Burfict. Burfict hit while unnecessary can be defended as trying to make sure Antonio Brown doesnt catch the ball. Had it just been Burfict's penalty then Reed is still attempting a 50 yard field goal on a wet field.

But lets not pretend AJ was playing great in that game either. It was 15-0 heading in the 4th Steelers. The Bengals didnt start to make a run until Ben Roethlisberger got hurt on the last play. AJ was also going against one of the worst passing defenses in the NFL that year. It was literally a game that changed because two injuries (BR and AB).
My memory is not Selma's by any stretch, but I remember being so incredibly frustrated with the Bengals offensive plan that game. They didn't really ever give AJ a chance to do anything. To me, it goes back to the spectacularly mediocre Marvin Lewis.

DzynKingRTR

TideFans Legend
Dec 17, 2003
Vinings, ga., usa
My memory is not Selma's by any stretch, but I remember being so incredibly frustrated with the Bengals offensive plan that game. They didn't really ever give AJ a chance to do anything. To me, it goes back to the spectacularly mediocre Marvin Lewis.
Yeah, I think they took the Mike Shula approach to Bama football. Then Burfict and Jones really screwed it up for him.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
No one ever believed in AJ and I'm not sure why. I know on draft day there were draft rumors of his cockiness and arrogance being off putting to some of the teams in his interviews. But I have a hard time believing any display of arrogance and cockiness was any worse than what they've seen over the years from other players. I watched AJ play enough in the NFL to believe he could have been a serviceable starter and in the right system may have done better than that. I've watched a lot worse quarterbacks get more opportunities than AJ did. It is still something I don't understand.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
No one ever believed in AJ and I'm not sure why. I know on draft day there were draft rumors of his cockiness and arrogance being off putting to some of the teams in his interviews. But I have a hard time believing any display of arrogance and cockiness was any worse than what they've seen over the years from other players. I watched AJ play enough in the NFL to believe he could have been a serviceable starter and in the right system may have done better than that. I've watched a lot worse quarterbacks get more opportunities than AJ did. It is still something I don't understand.
I've wondered, "what if AJ could have stepped in at New England" when he came into the league (if TB hadn't still been playing well). I've always thought they had alot of similarities and AJ is probably the better scrambler of the two. Think AJ would have fit like a hand in a glove in that system.

Reactions: TideEngineer08

Padreruf

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2001
Charleston, South Carolina
I've wondered, "what if AJ could have stepped in at New England" when he came into the league (if TB hadn't still been playing well). I've always thought they had alot of similarities and AJ is probably the better scrambler of the two. Think AJ would have fit like a hand in a glove in that system.
I rewatched the 2013 Championship game vs. Notre Dame...AJ was spectacular at finding receivers. But...most of his down the field throws had some arc in them...he did not throw a missile. If you compare his passes to Tua's you can see an immediate difference. I think that has held him back as much as a coaching situation. TB's passes had a lot more steam on them....

Con

Hall of Fame
Dec 19, 2006
Northern Hemisphere
This is why I think it is very difficult to label any of our guys a "bust" in the pros. If they are in the best situation then they would thrive. In the NFL they can't do like the rest of us normal people do which is try to find the best job for us and our family. They are at the mercy of the draft and trades. Then there is the whole maturity issue. The NFL is tough.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.