MSU vs Memphis

twofbyc

Hall of Fame
Oct 14, 2009
State got hosed. Worst officiating I have ever seen in one game. That whole crew needs to be go back to selling used cars.

Reactions: CB4

twofbyc

Hall of Fame
Oct 14, 2009
The punt return for a TD when Memphis has two number 4’s on the field was a monumental screw up.
Ref threw his beanbag, and started to wave his hands after Memphis player picked the ball up and started running. Never seen anything like that.

Reactions: Isaiah 63:1 and CB4

CB4

Hall of Fame
Aug 8, 2011
Birmingham, AL
The SEC officials in the Auburn- PSU game not having the best night either. Just call intentional grounding on PSU when it was clear the receiver broke off the coverage. Then they didn’t change the down maker. Made penn state punt on third down.

The head of SEC officials needs his rear kicked putting these jokers on the field.

DogPatch

Suspended
Dec 4, 2018
Tuscaloosa
The SEC officials in the Auburn- PSU game not having the best night either. Just call intentional grounding on PSU when it was clear the receiver broke off the coverage. Then they didn’t change the down maker. Made penn state punt on third down.

The head of SEC officials needs his rear kicked putting these jokers on the field.
You're complaining about a bad call against Penn State?

bamadwain

All-American
Oct 8, 2018
Jackson Tn
The punt return for a TD when Memphis has two number 4’s on the field was a monumental screw up.
Exactly, should been penalty on Memphis to begin with and i thought when defensive player touches ball on punt it's dead? Mat Austin just said the same on sec now

Reactions: twofbyc

CB4

Hall of Fame
Aug 8, 2011
Birmingham, AL
Also an issue with an onside kick. The play was reviewed to see if it went ten yards. It did and State recovered. However they penalize State for an illegal block (no flag was thrown).

“He (Leach) was less understanding about a late onside kick in which Mississippi State was again called for illegal touching, seemingly making contact with the ball before it traveled 10 yards. That penalty was overturned on replay, but an illegal block on the Bulldogs was added, forcing a rekick.”

You cannot use review to a find a penalty if it wasn’t called live. (With the exception of possible targeting I believe)

Last edited:

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
Literally no excuse for how poorly officiated this game was.

But that MSU is so bad that a G5 team like Memphis can beat them is sad. This loss is on Leach, who has sucked badly since arriving in the SEC. Hope he stays at MSU forever, but I suspect he'll be back in the MW/PAC12/whatever after this season.

twofbyc

Hall of Fame
Oct 14, 2009
Also an issue with an onside kick. The play was reviewed to see it it went ten yards. It did and State recovered. However they penalize State for an illegal block (no flag was thrown).

“He (Leach) was less understanding about a late onside kick in which Mississippi State was again called for illegal touching, seemingly making contact with the ball before it traveled 10 yards. That penalty was overturned on replay, but an illegal block on the Bulldogs was added, forcing a rekick.”

You cannot use review to a penalty if it wasn’t called live. (With the exception of possible targeting I believe)

This is what I mentioned earlier. But they blew the initial call - MSU recovered the kick and it was plain as day. As far as I know, no penalty can be called in replay on any foul not flagged in game except targeting.
Officiating has always had issues every year, but this year the flagrant screwups seem to be happening at a breakneck pace, and they are more egregious.

Reactions: CB4

CB4

Hall of Fame
Aug 8, 2011
Birmingham, AL
I’m still trying to figure out how they missed a blatant hold on the outside on a Florida wide receiver on UF’s last touchdown. Not to mention the holding going on in the Florida secondary.
After our game, MSU and Auburn games some serious discussions need to be happening in the SEC office and the head of officiating.

Last edited:
Reactions: Al A Bama

uafanataum

All-American
Oct 18, 2014
Literally no excuse for how poorly officiated this game was.

But that MSU is so bad that a G5 team like Memphis can beat them is sad. This loss is on Leach, who has sucked badly since arriving in the SEC. Hope he stays at MSU forever, but I suspect he'll be back in the MW/PAC12/whatever after this season.
Mississippi State is one of the worst schools in the SEC. Going .500 there is normal. They have only had 3 10 win seasons in their history. I think Leach is safe.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
Mississippi State is one of the worst schools in the SEC. Going .500 there is normal. They have only had 3 10 win seasons in their history. I think Leach is safe.
I very familiar with their history, but they're not going to be satisfied with losing to Memphis or going .500.

For perspective, in 2020 they fired Joe Moorhead after two seasons with a record of 14-12.

jthomas666

Hall of Fame
Aug 14, 2002
Birmingham & Warner Robins
I very familiar with their history, but they're not going to be satisfied with losing to Memphis or going .500.

For perspective, in 2020 they fired Joe Moorhead after two seasons with a record of 14-12.
It's not helping that both Ole Miss and Arky have both gotten substantially better.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
I've spent years pointing out that most of the time the refs do get it right - as well as the generally true fact that bad calls even out over time.

But what I saw yesterday - in an era where we DO have review/instant replay - was mind-boggling in the extreme. It's almost like the MSU-MSU (it will always be Memphis State to me folks) referees were watching the Alabama-Florida game and saying, "Hold my beer."

And then - setting new records for extreme incompetence - we got the nonsense that occurred in the Auburn-Penn State game, officiating so bad even our own classy AUDub was admitting what was obvious to everyone. The Alabama-Florida officials were admittedly more favorable to UF (and you won't hear me acknowledge that very often), but they were still goshawful in all directions. Alabama still wins an evenly called game by more than two points, even with Bryce Young deciding "not gonna run here."

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.