Murdaugh Murder and More

seebell

Hall of Fame
Mar 12, 2012
Gurley, Al
The Oxygen Channel had a two hour show on the Murdoughs. I found it intensely interesting. How the mighty have fallen. Thanks for the heads up Padre.

seebell

Hall of Fame
Mar 12, 2012
Gurley, Al
  • Thank You
Reactions: Padreruf

seebell

Hall of Fame
Mar 12, 2012
Gurley, Al

As NBC News reports, food trucks will be gathered in a parking lot across from the courthouse to feed what are expected to be throngs of legal team members, law enforcement, reporters, and, of course, gawkers. Hotel rooms are packed and homes in the area are being rented out on AirBnb for hundreds of dollars per night.
As Rolling Stone reports, Murdaugh has more than 100 other criminal charges waiting in the wings, from drug trafficking to insurance fraud. He is the subject of multiple state probes and more than a dozen lawsuits.

Oh how the Mighty have fallen!
Get the popcorn ready Padreruf :)

Last edited:

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
I do wonder where the money went. He’s admitted to stealing millions from his law firm, his clients and friends. My guess is that there’s more he hasn’t admitted.

Plus, Murdaugh would have legitimately made a lot of money from the law firm. Add what he stole, and it’s tough to spend up that kind of money on opioids and lifestyle — so where’d it go?

Reactions: Padreruf

Padreruf

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2001
Charleston, South Carolina
I do wonder where the money went. He’s admitted to stealing millions from his law firm, his clients and friends. My guess is that there’s more he hasn’t admitted.

Plus, Murdaugh would have legitimately made a lot of money from the law firm. Add what he stole, and it’s tough to spend up that kind of money on opioids and lifestyle — so where’d it go?
From what I've heard down here it was funding his opioid addiction and probably some gambling, etc. About 2-3 years ago he had put all his property in his wife's name. Supposedly she was going to leave him...and he would not be able to mortgage it.

The more I see of this the more I believe he is fighting for a hung jury on the murder charge. He knows he will spend time in prison...but he doesn't want to spend the rest of his life there. He has probably "funded" more jurors than you or I want to know...they may even be on this jury.

You can watch the daily proceedings on Youtube....not the TV subscription channel but the regular YouTube.

He is one arrogant sociopath at the very least....

• Thank You
Reactions: seebell

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
I don't care about the money - any monster that would murder his own wife and son doesn't deserve anything other than incarceration for the rest of their miserable lives.

This from a guy who used to support the death penalty and think in this case, it would be merited.

It's crushing to consider this guy has been walking among us. If he's such a sociopath that he'd murder his own child, throw away the key.

Reactions: Crimson1967

Padreruf

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2001
I don't care about the money - any monster that would murder his own wife and son doesn't deserve anything other than incarceration for the rest of their miserable lives.

This from a guy who used to support the death penalty and think in this case, it would be merited.

It's crushing to consider this guy has been walking among us. If he's such a sociopath that he'd murder his own child, throw away the key.
Totally agree...but justice does not always prevail at the courthouse.

Reactions: crimsonaudio

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA

One month last year, I had an heir of an estate I represent blow $100K on cocaine, in a month. He had been confronted the morning of the murders by the firm CFO with his embezzlement. I think, with drugged-up thinking on his part, he'd rather see his wife and son dead than know the truth. Probably would have killed the other son, had he been present...

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
One month last year, I had an heir of an estate I represent blow $100K on cocaine, in a month. He had been confronted the morning of the murders by the firm CFO with his embezzlement. I think, with drugged-up thinking on his part, he'd rather see his wife and son dead than know the truth. Probably would have killed the other son, had he been present...
I thought about that, but it occurred to me that opioids are less expensive than cocaine. Plus, if he did manage to run up an opioid drug tab of that magnitude, I would think he’d be in such a constant stupor that it would be impossible to hide.

Padreruf could very well be right about the gambling — that’s one way to run through mid-seven figures really fast.

I think you may be right on the motive — a drug-reasoned attempt to keep the family from finding out about his other crimes.

seebell

Hall of Fame
Mar 12, 2012
Gurley, Al
Not looking too good for Mr. Murdaugh. I'm glad.

A judge ruled Monday he will allow jurors to hear evidence that disgraced South Carolina attorney Alex Murdaugh was stealing money from his law firm and clients and committing other financial crimes long before his wife and son were killed in 2021.
In explaining his ruling, Judge Clifton Newman said the jury is entitled to consider whether Murdaugh's “apparent desperation” and “dire financial situation” resulted in the killings of his family

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
I thought about that, but it occurred to me that opioids are less expensive than cocaine. Plus, if he did manage to run up an opioid drug tab of that magnitude, I would think he’d be in such a constant stupor that it would be impossible to hide.

Padreruf could very well be right about the gambling — that’s one way to run through mid-seven figures really fast.

I think you may be right on the motive — a drug-reasoned attempt to keep the family from finding out about his other crimes.
Well, looks like the defense is trying to make the case that the money went to drugs.

This article (yeah, I know it's People magazine) says the defense is claiming Murdaugh was spending $50K a week on opioids.

Alex Murdaugh Was Paying Up to $50,000 a Week for Drugs, Lawyer Says (people.com)

I'm still not sure how he could be even remotely coherent and functional while spending nearly $300 for every single hour in a week -- $50K / (7 x 24) -- on opioids. Just doesn't pass the smell test. But so many things in this sordid situation don't.

Padreruf

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2001
Well, looks like the defense is trying to make the case that the money went to drugs.

This article (yeah, I know it's People magazine) says the defense is claiming Murdaugh was spending $50K a week on opioids.

Alex Murdaugh Was Paying Up to $50,000 a Week for Drugs, Lawyer Says (people.com)

I'm still not sure how he could be even remotely coherent and functional while spending nearly $300 for every single hour in a week -- $50K / (7 x 24) -- on opioids. Just doesn't pass the smell test. But so many things in this sordid situation don't.
Word down here is a severe gambling addiction...the murders may have been at the hands of syndicate types who were owed a considerable amount. He does not want that revealed for many reasons...the least of which is that he would not survive.

No way he could spend that much money on dope and be functional...

seebell

Hall of Fame
Mar 12, 2012
Gurley, Al
Maybe he sold some of the dope to support his gambling?

$80-$100 a pill for the good stuff! Don't know the date of this.

At $100 per pill, 50K would buy 500 pills

Last edited:
  • Thank You
Reactions: 4Q Basket Case

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
Maybe he sold some of the dope to support his gambling?

$80-$100 a pill for the good stuff! Don't know the date of this.

At $100 per pill, 50K would buy 500 pills
At 500 pills…of the good stuff, no less…over 168 hours, that’s one roughly every 20 minutes, assuming no sleep or breaks. If we limit using to waking hours, it’s more per unit time.

Murdaugh didn’t consume $50K of opioids in a week.

Might have used some and sold the rest to use for free and make money for gambling or whatever else he spent the money on. But he didn’t take 3 pills an hour for 168 straight hours by himself.

Murdaugh made a lot of money legitimately through his law practice. He also stole a lot from his firm and from his clients. I really believe if we know where that money went, we get a good idea as to the rest of the story.

Last edited:
Reactions: seebell

seebell

Hall of Fame
Mar 12, 2012
Gurley, Al
CNN just had a brief story about the trial. The prosecution played a tape recording in which Murdaugh said he (we?) spent 40, 50 or 60,000 on pills. I heard it myself.

I too doubt that Murdaugh used that amount of drugs himself but why would he admit to spending that much?

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.