My daughter has an ovarian tumor

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
Well my daughter had the first surgery this morning. They didn't complete it, pending a pathology report. That will be three weeks, in Lyon, second largest city in France. Again, this is "free," not-for-profit medicine, or, at least, single payer...
Earle —

I’m so sorry your daughter is going through this. It’s just unconscionable, and she’s paying for additional coverage on top of the “free” version.

If this were happening here in the US, there’d be a 60 Minutes piece on it.

It’s a huge lesson in our own debate over healthcare and how we should pay for it. “Free” isn’t all it’s cracked up to be, even in highly developed Western European countries.

MobtownK

All-American
Nov 20, 2004
Mobile, Alabama, United States
Thanks y'all. Surgery went great - took longer to prep and recover than actual surgery. Slept off the anesthesia yesterday afternoon. Slight pain this morning, so in trying to stay ahead of it I took a painkiller. I should have just taken the strong ibuprofen- I hate painkillers - they make me dizzy and my eyes hurt. I can't read and it just makes me mad.
No strenuous activity for a few weeks, and my Mama is here to help with the kids for a few days and so my husband could take me yesterday, and he made one of my favorite meals for me last night.
Thank y'all for thinking of me. Really hoping this fixes everything.

Go Bama

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
16outa17essee
Mia and my wife left for the hospital yesterday morning. Her third five days of chemo session started yesterday. Before starting chemo she has a day of several tests then a meeting with her oncologist. Our main concern is whether her AFP, the protein marker made by the tumor, is going down. Yesterday it measured 9. She started at 4000, then 1500, then 500, then 75, and now 9. Her oncologist is encouraged by this as are we.

The plan now is to finish this five day chemo, chemo next Wednesday and again the following Wednesday. This should finish chemo then Mia will be monitored monthly. If the AFP does not increase the port will be removed in September or October. Mia will continue to be monitored for years.

While we are still nervous, the sense of relief is palpable.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Mia and my wife left for the hospital yesterday morning. Her third five days of chemo session started yesterday. Before starting chemo she has a day of several tests then a meeting with her oncologist. Our main concern is whether her AFP, the protein marker made by the tumor, is going down. Yesterday it measured 9. She started at 4000, then 1500, then 500, then 75, and now 9. Her oncologist is encouraged by this as are we.

The plan now is to finish this five day chemo, chemo next Wednesday and again the following Wednesday. This should finish chemo then Mia will be monitored monthly. If the AFP does not increase the port will be removed in September or October. Mia will continue to be monitored for years.

While we are still nervous, the sense of relief is palpable.
More great news. 🥳

So happy to hear it!

• Thank You
Reactions: Go Bama

Go Bama

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
16outa17essee
Mia had her last chemo yesterday. While she's pretty listless today, she has been feeling pretty good.

My oldest daughter got married last Saturday. We didn't know if Mia would get to attend. She was given the go ahead on Wednesday. Here is a picture of Mia and my niece's children taken at the wedding. I think she looks great.

Mia at wedding.jpg

Jon

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2002
Atlanta 'Burbs
Mia loves Marvel movies. I think the women of Wekanda helped. If you aren't familiar with the movies, these women are all bald and beautiful. Mia has completely bought into being bald as good look.

View attachment 16719
my wife's best friend went through chemo while pregnant and rocked the bald look. So much respect for her doing it. Her Son just turned 19 and is 100% fine

Go Bama

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
16outa17essee
About three weeks ago, Make-A-Wish called us and said they could fulfill Mia's wish on April 15. She had asked to go to a Lindsey Stirling concert. Mia plays violin, and Lindsey Stirling was the violinist who inspired Mia to want to learn the violin.

Last Thursday, we went to the Make-A-Wish office in Memphis where they surprised Mia with a lot of gifts. Afterwards, we were sent to Grisanti's Italian Restaurant. Grisanti's paid for our meal.

The next day, Friday, they flew Mia, my wife, and me to Las Vegas where they rented us a car to drive to St George, Utah. MAW picked up the tab for everything including hotels, gas, and food. They even gave us a prepaid credit card for expenses like souvenirs and food.

On Saturday, we went to Snow Canyon State Park and hiked a couple of easy trails. At 5:00 PM, a limo picked us up at the hotel to take us to the concert. Mia got to sit down and talk to Lindsey Stirling for 3-4 minutes which was very exciting for her. Lindsey was super nice to Mia and told her to get anything she wanted from merchandise. The concert venue was at a gorgeous amphitheater called Tuachan which is set among the red rocks. Lindsey Sterling is an amazing performer and all enjoyed the show.

It was an extremely special weekend.

Lindsey and Mia.jpg

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.