My small protest today

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
I have been in Auburn this week for work. I wore a Bama shirt every moment I was in public.

But the shirt thing wasn't my only protest. As I left on my way home (a two hour drive) I stopped at a gas station for a snack for the trip.

I walked in and grabbed two Cokes and a small bag of chips. On my way to the register I saw tacked to the front of the counter was what appeared to be a big beach towel. Printed on it was an image of a dollar bill with Trump's picture in the middle. "2024" was in each corner.

So without saying a word I put the Cokes and chips back and left and went to another station for my snacks. Perhaps that owner is also a Trumpie but he at least isn't obnoxious about it.

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
Never wrestle a pig in mud...the pig loves it and you get dirty as well...or something like that.
The cashier was a rather large good old boy who was about 20 years younger than me. I doubt an argument would have gotten physical but you never know. But he'd be bragging to his buddies how he told off a libtard snowflake so at least I denied him that pleasure.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
I have been in Auburn this week for work. I wore a Bama shirt every moment I was in public.

But the shirt thing wasn't my only protest. As I left on my way home (a two hour drive) I stopped at a gas station for a snack for the trip.

I walked in and grabbed two Cokes and a small bag of chips. On my way to the register I saw tacked to the front of the counter was what appeared to be a big beach towel. Printed on it was an image of a dollar bill with Trump's picture in the middle. "2024" was in each corner.

So without saying a word I put the Cokes and chips back and left and went to another station for my snacks. Perhaps that owner is also a Trumpie but he at least isn't obnoxious about it.
And I am thankful we live in a country where you have the right to do that and take your business elsewhere. I'm not sure which Tidefans member has it in his signature, but I love it. It goes something like:

"I may not agree with what you're saying, but will fight with you for your right to be able to say it".

I think I brutalized the quote but I can't remember the exact words. But either way, I am glad that you and the owner of the business you "protested" had the right to express yourselves. (y)

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
And I am thankful we live in a country where you have the right to do that and take your business elsewhere. I'm not sure which Tidefans member has it in his signature, but I love it. It goes something like:

"I may not agree with what you're saying, but will fight with you for your right to be able to say it".

I think I brutalized the quote but I can't remember the exact words. But either way, I am glad that you and the owner of the business you "protested" had the right to express yourselves. (y)
I totally agree it is the owner's right to display what he wants on his property. If you told me I had to say something I'd have said I put my stuff back because I didn't like his Trump banner. I wouldn't have insisted he remove it.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
I never do - it's not my job to coach a business owner out of making stupid decisions.
And in this specific situation, the business owner more than likely already knows this will happen, yet does it anyway. If '67 would have told him why I'm sure the business owner would have said "There are other stores down the street". So, I think he handled it perfectly. Just put the stuff back and walk out.

CrimsonJazz

All-American
May 27, 2022
Sadly, nincompoop decisions like this store owner's is just further proof that literally every political issue in this country has been transmogrified into an identity issue. There was a time when a business owner would have been completely out of his or her mind to pull a stunt like this. Incredibly, it is fast becoming the norm.

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
Sadly, nincompoop decisions like this store owner's is just further proof that literally every political issue in this country has been transmogrified into an identity issue. There was a time when a business owner would have been completely out of his or her mind to pull a stunt like this. Incredibly, it is fast becoming the norm.
Given where the store is located I doubt it costs him much business. It was also several miles from another gas station so people who live nearby don't have a choice.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
I think there's a component of it that is purely a business decision and the owner knows the majority of the people in his/her area are Trump supporters and is using it for financial gain. I highly doubt he pulls this stunt if his store was in an area of majority Biden supporters.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Other than obvious financial gains, I really do not understand why any business, regardless of size, includes any form of politics in its place of business, marketing, etc. There's just so much that could go wrong, and to be honest, misinterpreted. Granted, there are some people who are so convicted about things that fall into the realm of politics that they don't care. They'd be willing to go broke over it, which on some level I respect. But, in most cases, you can have a passionate conviction about something and accomplish the same thing without mixing it with business.

Again, I'm just glad we live in a country that still allows businesses and business owners to do that and for customers to respond likewise. I just know there have been a lot of businesses (mostly local) that have lost my business because it was too much for my tastes.

CrimsonJazz

All-American
May 27, 2022
Other than obvious financial gains, I really do not understand why any business, regardless of size, includes any form of politics in its place of business, marketing, etc. There's just so much that could go wrong, and to be honest, misinterpreted. Granted, there are some people who are so convicted about things that fall into the realm of politics that they don't care. They'd be willing to go broke over it, which on some level I respect. But, in most cases, you can have a passionate conviction about something and accomplish the same thing without mixing it with business.

Again, I'm just glad we live in a country that still allows businesses and business owners to do that and for customers to respond likewise. I just know there have been a lot of businesses (mostly local) that have lost my business because it was too much for my tastes.
Well said! It reminds me of what Michael Jordan once said when asked why he wasn't politically active and he responded along the lines of, "Republicans buy shoes, too."

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Well said! It reminds me of what Michael Jordan once said when asked why he wasn't politically active and he responded along the lines of, "Republicans buy shoes, too."
I think Jordan is politically active, just in other ways. "Active" doesn't have to mean in front of every camera that has a red light on. There are people who are active givers (hundreds of millions given to charity) and workers in the community that hardly anyone knows anything about. Just because they aren't in front of cameras doing their good deeds for all to see, doesn't mean they aren't active.

Reactions: CrimsonJazz

CrimsonJazz

All-American
May 27, 2022
I think Jordan is politically active, just in other ways. "Active" doesn't have to mean in front of every camera that has a red light on. There are people who are active givers (hundreds of millions given to charity) and workers in the community that hardly anyone knows anything about. Just because they aren't in front of cameras doing their good deeds for all to see, doesn't mean they aren't active.
Yes, but in this country, there are clearly some that think if you aren't virtue signaling, it doesn't count. This is an absurd notion, of course, but the result of this type of thinking is on full display. I don't have the slightest idea what Jordan's politics are. For me, this is a huge part of his appeal. I applaud the people you just described. There are a lot of people out there who work tirelessly for what they believe in and aren't concerned about who is watching. I tip my hat to them.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.