My thoughts on Iron Bowl rivalry.

BAMA 22 HEISMAN

1st Team
Dec 13, 2009
Let me say I have been watching the Iron Bowl for approximately 35 years and these are just my thoughts. I always felt the team that came into this game that was obviously superior was a lock to win. It has really been in the last 5 to 7 years I have changed my opinion. There have been many times Bama was a clear favorite but both teams gave it their all and it came down to the end.

I know it is a huge cliché, but yes throw the records out for the Iron Bowl because I will never again just guarantee Bama is a lock even if we are unbeaten and the barn has not won a game. To see tonight's game and how every player gave it their all. Fans (including myself) crying at home, or in the stadium, I am realizing more and more what this rivalry is all about. And I have been part of it for almost four decades. I am still learning what the Iron Bowl is about and really means.

Oh and let me just say, I respect the Auburn players and team as people. BUT, I HATE auburn football with a passion!

TopBamaBloke

Bamanation Citizen
Jun 7, 2021
There have been a few games where the underdog came up just short, but there hasn’t been a major upset in this rivalry since 1984 when a 4-6 Alabama team denied auburn a conference title. We were very lucky to win last night, but it will go down in the books as one where the favored team with the better record won.

I love this rivalry only when we win the game.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
Iron Bowl... A game in which Bama cant afford to lose and Auburn must win. Really winning the Iron Bowl for Alabama fans is just a relief that they wont be hounded for a whole year and wont have to see the t-shirt for the next 10 years about that Iron Bowl. The game is far more important to Auburn.

I dont feel hatred is in it as much as people try to make it out to be. I would say Ohio St- Michigan and Florida-Florida St have deep hatred to one another wheras Alabama and Auburn more are closer to a brotherly rivalry. Its an important game on the schedule every year, but lets face it... Alabama rarely circles the Iron Bowl on the schedule before the week we play them.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
Wishing I was somewhere close to Duluth
I know it is a huge cliché, but yes throw the records out for the Iron Bowl because I will never again just guarantee Bama is a lock even if we are unbeaten and the barn has not won a game.
This is where I part company.

Let me be crystal clear: if Auburn had held on for another two minutes and won today, this would have been a mammoth upset, one of the biggest in the history of the IB. It surely would have been the biggest since 1984. But that throw out the records cliché doesn't apply because you simply don't have times where Team A is really good and Team B is bad, but Team B wins. What this rivalry DOES have is "well, the records are close, but we think Team A is a lot better than Team B" and then Team B wins.

Today's game was basically the 1997 game in reverse.

Now that's not to say that we don't have times where the lesser gets in and slugs toe to toe for 2-3 quarters and is eventually overwhelmed by the better team. But if you bet your house on the game every single year and you simply picked the team whose won-loss record was at least two games better than the other one, you'd own an entire estate with several houses on it and occasionally lose one.

That's not to say it's not a good rivalry, although I've reached my limit with Auburn's consistent refusal to stand in and go toe to toe and be men, win or lose. Pat Dye was willing to do that. Auburn keeps hiring coaches who teach backyard sandlot sissy ball that is designed largely on trickery and not on playing football. (It was an immense relief to not feel like Les Miles was on the other sideline smoking crack with a playbook open).

And that damned officiating, I'm sorry, I'm not getting over it. We don't have this much trouble with ANY other team basically mugging our receivers and daring the refs to call it on every single play.

Windsortide

1st Team
Nov 11, 2019
This is where I part company.

Let me be crystal clear: if Auburn had held on for another two minutes and won today, this would have been a mammoth upset, one of the biggest in the history of the IB. It surely would have been the biggest since 1984. But that throw out the records cliché doesn't apply because you simply don't have times where Team A is really good and Team B is bad, but Team B wins. What this rivalry DOES have is "well, the records are close, but we think Team A is a lot better than Team B" and then Team B wins.

Today's game was basically the 1997 game in reverse.

Now that's not to say that we don't have times where the lesser gets in and slugs toe to toe for 2-3 quarters and is eventually overwhelmed by the better team. But if you bet your house on the game every single year and you simply picked the team whose won-loss record was at least two games better than the other one, you'd own an entire estate with several houses on it and occasionally lose one.

That's not to say it's not a good rivalry, although I've reached my limit with Auburn's consistent refusal to stand in and go toe to toe and be men, win or lose. Pat Dye was willing to do that. Auburn keeps hiring coaches who teach backyard sandlot sissy ball that is designed largely on trickery and not on playing football. (It was an immense relief to not feel like Les Miles was on the other sideline smoking crack with a playbook open).

And that damned officiating, I'm sorry, I'm not getting over it. We don't have this much trouble with ANY other team basically mugging our receivers and daring the refs to call it on every single play.
Officiating was atrocious last night. Missed many holds and the pass INT on Williams that was t called was horrendous and Danielson barely addressed the issue.

Reactions: REDSEA

lowend

1st Team
Feb 20, 2005
I think Harsin will smooth things out some. He's not going to run his mouth like Tubs or do goofy stuff and come up with unlikely wins that breaks the hearts of Bama fans. There just going to play good football under him.

Reactions: CoolBreeze

We_are_Bama

All-American
Dec 11, 2008
@selmaborntidefan 1997 in reverse is exactly right! I was talking to someone last night who was comparing this win to 1996 and 2009 and I explained to them that even though both of those were last minute comebacks, neither really stood out. In 1996, we blew a 17-0 lead and were trailing auburn 20-17 at the half. Auburn did little to nothing in the second half and on that final drive, we had worn them down enough to put everything together that resulted in Dennis Riddle’s game winning TD.

In 2009, we got down 14-0 very quickly but had it all tied up at halftime. While auburn lead late in the game, our 15 play, 9 plus minute drive broke their backs. All throughout that drive, their defense was gassed.

Yesterday had a very different feel. I was trying to put my finger on what IB it was most similar to, and 1997 hits the nail on the head 🙂

jashleyren2

1st Team
Aug 27, 2018
The Iron Bowl is nearly always one of the most frustrating games, because nothing seems to make sense. All during this game, we struggled to just do basic things. Blocking comes to mind. But, we also made some hero level plays, and that was the difference in this game. There was nothing special about this Auburn team at all. They have now lost 4 in a row, and are .500. They’ll go to a very low level bowl, and likely be very pedestrian in that game.

As someone else mentioned, if we never played again, I’d not lose a minute of sleep over it.

Reactions: We_are_Bama

CB4

Hall of Fame
Aug 8, 2011
Birmingham, AL
What I thought was almost comical was Danielson didn’t hardly breath hard at the mugging of Williams on the deep ball or the blatant hold on Williams on the very first series.

But then an Alabama DB makes a very good play on an Auburn receiver, batting the ball away with the right hand while the left was on the receiver’s left shoulder. Didn’t grab him, didn’t turn him, just made a quality play. And Danielson makes the “no call” sound questionable saying the Alabama DB needed to “be careful”. Seriously?

It’s like calling attention to a jaywalker while grandma is getting mugged on the opposite corner.

My daughter and son in law (both Auburn grads) were at the game. They admitted they got nearly every call possible. Even my daughter questioned the roughing call on Finley that overturned the interception, stating “he took one step and hit him just after he released it. Didn’t hit high. I’ve seen a lot worse not called”.

I’m with @selmaborntidefan on this. Yes, I’m happy with the win. But we had to overcome our own poor play AND some dubious officiating. And it happens every time we set foot in that cow pasture.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
I think someone on Tidefans said it: " Alabama has come to look on the Iron Bowl and Auburn as just another game and opponent. Auburn considers Alabama the Great Satan. "
Well Auburn is very inconsistent. LSU for years has become Alabama’s number 1 rival. Although it’s looking more like Georgia is overtaking them in that distinction.

For the fans yes the IB ranks high in terms of games on the schedule but it’s not the same hatred as Ohio St- Michigan it’s more closer to Michigan-Michigan State in which it’s embarrassment or relief kind of game.

CB4

Hall of Fame
Aug 8, 2011
Birmingham, AL
I think someone on Tidefans said it: " Alabama has come to look on the Iron Bowl and Auburn as just another game and opponent. Auburn considers Alabama the Great Satan. "
I think just about every team we play consider us the evil empire of college football. When you get circled on everyone’s calendar. Alabama cannot afford to Circle games on the calendar. Because we know we are going to get the other teams best every week.
Even Coach Bryant had opponents that were head scratchers. Even at times during his runs in 60’s and 70’s a really marginal Vandy team would give us fits. And it seems particularly Auburn in Auburn is that way with CNS. They play “up to us” and in many cases we play “down” to them.

twofbyc

Registered
Oct 14, 2009
What is the nature of other rivalries? Let’s take Michigan/OSU.
Former players (and coaches) of both teams said yesterday pregame this game is circled on their schedule every year; Woodson even said every week there was at least a few hours of practice dedicated to OSU. Did he lie? I don’t think so - but I’ve never heard Saban or any of his former players or staff admitting Bama does this, yet no one can deny this rivalry at least equals any other.
I’m not talking about bye week practices either; but I have a feeling everybody Bama plays has that game circled on their schedule. Every year. And I don’t doubt some practice for it well before game week.

Mystical

All-American
Sep 28, 2009
Fairhope, Alabama
The Iron Bowl is nearly always one of the most frustrating games, because nothing seems to make sense. All during this game, we struggled to just do basic things. Blocking comes to mind. But, we also made some hero level plays, and that was the difference in this game. There was nothing special about this Auburn team at all. They have now lost 4 in a row, and are .500. They’ll go to a very low level bowl, and likely be very pedestrian in that game.

As someone else mentioned, if we never played again, I’d not lose a minute of sleep over it.
I would miss it tremendously. It's one of the only games where we have people gather with us, who normally don't even watch football, but they watch this game. There are some games I will record and watch latter but never this one. In our home yesterday we had Alabama and Auburn fans, mostly Alabama, watching the game together. I have to be honest most of the Alabama fans had given up on the game and the Auburn fans were gloating and dancing. It looked bleak for while. I kept thinking I sure don't want to hear my uncles mouth for the next month when we lose. Was a beautiful sight when the game ended to see the look of disgust on their faces. We ribbed them hard and for the most part they took it with out tears.

Reactions: alabama mike1

CoolBreeze

Registered
Sep 18, 2002
Hoover
This is the greatest rivalry in the country and hats off to Auburn for playing their best game of the year trying take us down. That game demonstrated the makeup of this team, flawed yet relentless, and we saw a coming of age for a group just in time to propel us down the stretch for another National Championship run. We really needed this game and I could not be more proud of these boys for not hanging their heads, grinding and eventually bringing home the victory. Not sure we are going to win it all but I tell you what...we are in a much better position mentally today to win three more games than we were yesterday at this time. Roll Tide people!

Reactions: UAH

Latest threads