My trip to Williams-Brice

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
This past weekend I have been on vacation with purose. Ive wanted to X off another SEC stadium and I wanted to finally go to Gettysburg, so I also stopped by Washington on my way to Pennsylvania since the Braves were playing to get another MLB stadium off my list also (which I would highly recommend that you skip Nationals Park unless you are trying to complete the 30 or are a die hard Nats fan). So a lot of driving and sight seeing. So this was the reason I asked Selma to do my weekly thread for me this week (thanks again Selma).

My Review of Williams Brice:

Stadium:

Positive:

Its a pretty Nice looking Stadium. It has a modern feel to it. A lot of parking, and pretty easy to get in and out of it compared to many stadiums. It was also cool to see a live mascot up so close and personal (even if it was a chicken)

Negative:

But the concourses reminded me of Legion Field. Parking on the Fairgrounds can be a journey in finding your space and dodging the endless amount of humanity that is oblivious of the fact that there are moving cars behind them while they are in the middle of the road about 5 wide.

WB.jpg

Williams Brice.jpg

Sir Big Spur.jpg
Atmosphere:

Positive:

USCe fans are loud when they have something to cheer for, and they put most of the SEC fans to shame doing it. Really until the middle of the 3rd quarter it was one of the loudest experiences I've had. The 2001 Space Odyssey is one of the coolest entrances ever.

Negative:

Like many things others do that is somewhat cool, it can be done so much that it becomes annoying. The Rooster crow, Sandstorm, and the "GAME-COCKS" chant gets very old very fast at how often they do it.

Fans:

I really have nothing bad to say about THEIR fans in my experience (but I do have a lot to say about ours that showed their posteriors in my section to some of their fans for no reason). Ive heard the 2010 horror stories, but I encountered nothing but nice fans who really never expected to win and just told Alabama fans to "beat Clemson for us".

Moments:

Here are two TD's I recorded from last Saturday near my section. Maybe not the best of quality, but I tried lol.

Ranking my SEC road venues after USCe :

1a. aTm
1b. LSU
3. USCe
4. Tennessee
5. Mizzou
6. Mississippi St
7. Auburn
8. Ole Miss

Side Note:

Like I mentioned earlier. There were some bad apples in my section, and they were Alabama fans. One issue right in front of me was this husband and wife (alabama) who out of nowhere started dog cussing this mid 20's USCe law student and her family who were minding their own business, and sitting through the 4th quarter to stay and cheer their team when the game was over. They started turning around saying "Take yalls butt back to the freaking ACC because yall don't belong here", " If Nick didn't just kick your butt for us, then I would've because yall are just butts waiting to be kicked by better people than yall", and a bunch of uncalled for stuff. Then we had idiots throwing things at South Carolina folks (peanuts, ice, rally towels, and popcorn) .

Look I can take a good smack talk and a good ribbing, but there is a clear line between class and ignorance. I just wish some would learn that line.

Overall:

It was a very enjoyable time (aside from our donkeys being donkeys), and I would totally recommend it if you have a chance to go.

Last edited:

CoolBreeze

Hall of Fame
Sep 18, 2002
Hoover
Great snapshot of your experience 81. And I just loved your perspective of the Najee leap touchdown catch / run. Welcome home!

ccc2259

All-American
Oct 29, 2010
Lower Alabama
Thanks for sharing the pics and videos. You nailed everything 81. Especially their fan noise and the parking lot driving lanes. I lost count how many Gamecock fans had to move their chairs, grills, or cornhole games to allow us to drive to our parking spot....I'm shocked we didn't hear about someone being hit by a moving car that day.

We were in one of the Bama sections, but on a low row, and thus surrounded by Gamecocks. Overall, they were pretty welcoming. There was a 9-year old kid sitting next to me that had to be their number one fan....As young as he was, he knew the game, knew the players, and had a stronger grasp of what was going on that some adults I've sat with. He yelled and twirled that dang towel the entire game. But, after the final whistle, he turned and gave me fist bump and a sad "Good Game"....a lot of adults could take some lessons from that kid.

bamafaninbham

All-SEC
Jul 19, 2004
Homewood
Loved the view you had on the Najee td. I didn't realize how much number 24 was grabbing and holding Jeudy on his route, right up until Najee caught the ball. And then Jeudy just runs 24 out of the play with a nice block. But of course no flag on 24. :rolleyes:

BayouBama75

All-SEC
Dec 7, 2001
Knoxville, TN
I went to the last two games Bama played there. The one in 2010 also had GameDay on the campus that they had shuttles for. My experiences were positive both times. it was definitely loud in 2010 and they played the same music with the white towels last week that they did back then.

I think the fans are nicer to the opposition than they were at LSU...

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
Look I can take a good smack talk and a good ribbing, but there is a clear line between class and ignorance. I just wish some would learn that line.

Overall:

It was a very enjoyable time (aside from our donkeys being donkeys), and I would totally recommend it if you have a chance to go.
It sounds like these folks didn't just cross the line; they obliterated it. I hate to hear that it was some of our folks doing it.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
I think the fans are nicer to the opposition than they were at LSU...
In terms of overall nicest fans my experience with USCe fans on Saturday ranks up there with aTm and Mizzou fans. I think LSU fans are nice depending on the type of game it is before the game and if you are sitting by a LSU fan or a LSU drunk. I have two friends with horror stories about going to LSU while I and a bunch of my other friends had good times going. Those two friends went to 2008 and 2018... So Saban's return and that bull about the Devin White suspension are probably not two games I want to go into hostile territory with the that cloud of craziness building for two weeks.

The absolute worst fan experiences on the road by opposing fans that Ive had were 2016 Ole Miss, 2015 Auburn, and 2019 UGA (NCG). Im told that the 2016 Ole Miss fan experience is way different than what many have experienced since and prior, so it could be due to Freeze having the locals high on the Rebel juice.

Last edited:

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
It sounds like these folks didn't just cross the line; they obliterated it. I hate to hear that it was some of our folks doing it.
Yeah I was embarrassed about it even though I didn't know those fans that wore our colors. I told them (the USCe fans) that REAL Alabama fans don't act like this.

Ive been in funny and civil smack talk with opposing fans at games, but we both usually understand it isn't personal and we shake hands afterwards and probably go to a tailgate. But personal insults and bullying to folks that haven't said a smack or cross word to you is just ignorant. And the throwing of objects speaks for the character of those folks.

But yeah it really irks me when so called Alabama fans represent this way.

Ole Man Dan

Hall of Fame
Apr 21, 2008
Gadsden, Al.
This past weekend I have been on vacation with purose. Ive wanted to X off another SEC stadium and I wanted to finally go to Gettysburg, so I also stopped by Washington on my way to Pennsylvania since the Braves were playing to get another MLB stadium off my list also (which I would highly recommend that you skip Nationals Park unless you are trying to complete the 30 or are a die hard Nats fan). So a lot of driving and sight seeing. So this was the reason I asked Selma to do my weekly thread for me this week (thanks again Selma).

My Review of Williams Brice:

Stadium:

Positive:

Its a pretty Nice looking Stadium. It has a modern feel to it. A lot of parking, and pretty easy to get in and out of it compared to many stadiums. It was also cool to see a live mascot up so close and personal (even if it was a chicken)

Negative:

But the concourses reminded me of Legion Field. Parking on the Fairgrounds can be a journey in finding your space and dodging the endless amount of humanity that is oblivious of the fact that there are moving cars behind them while they are in the middle of the road about 5 wide.

View attachment 4406

View attachment 4407

View attachment 4408
Atmosphere:

Positive:

USCe fans are loud when they have something to cheer for, and they put most of the SEC fans to shame doing it. Really until the middle of the 3rd quarter it was one of the loudest experiences I've had. The 2001 Space Odyssey is one of the coolest entrances ever.

Negative:

Like many things others do that is somewhat cool, it can be done so much that it becomes annoying. The Rooster crow, Sandstorm, and the "GAME-COCKS" chant gets very old very fast at how often they do it.

Fans:

I really have nothing bad to say about THEIR fans in my experience (but I do have a lot to say about ours that showed their posteriors in my section to some of their fans for no reason). Ive heard the 2010 horror stories, but I encountered nothing but nice fans who really never expected to win and just told Alabama fans to "beat Clemson for us".

Moments:

Here are two TD's I recorded from last Saturday near my section. Maybe not the best of quality, but I tried lol.

Ranking my SEC road venues after USCe :

1a. aTm
1b. LSU
3. USCe
4. Tennessee
5. Mizzou
6. Mississippi St
7. Auburn
8. Ole Miss

Side Note:

Like I mentioned earlier. There were some bad apples in my section, and they were Alabama fans. One issue right in front of me was this husband and wife (alabama) started out of nowhere started dog cussing this mid 20's USCe law student and her family who was minding their own business, and sitting through the 4th quarter to stay and cheer their team when the game was over. They started turning around saying "Take yalls butt back to the freaking ACC because yall don't belong here", " If Nick didn't just kick your butt for us, then I would've because yall are just butts waiting to be kicked by better people than yall", and a bunch of uncalled for stuff. Then we had idiots throwing things at South Carolina folks (peanuts, ice, rally towels, and popcorn) .

Overall:

I saw USCe several years ago. I had a positive experience. Good fans, Parking no worse than what Legion Field was. Nothing bad to say. I think it has been renovated since my time there, so I'll compare it to legion field.(Then) USCe was cleaner. We had a good trip.

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
New Smyrna Beach, Florida
Good stuff, 81! Thanks also for the videos....nice touch!

Sorry to hear about the ill behaved Bama fans. I'm positive all fan bases have them including of course Florida and it's more frustrating than words can describe, but I think everyone pretty much understands it's always the exception, not the rule.

For what it's worth, I've had nothing but fantastic conversations & experiences with any of the Bama folks I have run into. Pure class all the way!

Thanks again for your informative post and thread, sir. :p

USCBAMA

All-SEC
Sep 21, 2001
Columbia, SC, Richland
Great post, glad you enjoyed the trip.

The East and South concourses (where you were sitting) both stink. The concourses on the West side are better. I believe the next round of improvements are supposed to address East & South concourses & restrooms.

Fairgrounds parking is tight, they cram cars in there (more cars, more $$). If you ever go back to WB and can find a parking spot for sale online that is in the old farmer's market, grab it. Much more room and nicer tailgating surroundings there, though the fairgrounds parking isn't exactly shabby (just crowded).

USC has done a lot to improve the atmosphere around and inside the stadium, glad you enjoyed it. Not sure what it was about this particular game, but I think I saw less unruly behavior from fans of both schools than I recall at any SEC game - I basically saw none.

allybama2009

1st Team
Jan 1, 2009
Conway, SC
We went again this year. This was my 3rd time seeing Bama and Scar play in Columbia. 2010 was much louder than this year. If you sat on the sunny side, you sweat like I did. Still a great experience and we had fun. They have several places where tailgating is really good. The cockaboose area is really cool experience. The parking on the fairgrounds is definitely an adventure. Glad you had fun!! roll tide

EnterBama

Scout Team
Oct 24, 2018
Loved the view you had on the Najee td. I didn't realize how much number 24 was grabbing and holding Jeudy on his route, right up until Najee caught the ball. And then Jeudy just runs 24 out of the play with a nice block. But of course no flag on 24. :rolleyes:
I noticed that to but it ended up hurting him because he took himself out of the play by holding Jerry Jeudy.

CB4

Hall of Fame
Aug 8, 2011
Birmingham, AL
Great post. I’m glad you got to make the game and Gettysburg. I’m a huge civil war guy and hit the battlefields whenever possible. I was at Gettysburg about this time last year. The drive up from Baltimore/Washington is beautiful once you get into northern Maryland and into Pennsylvania. The old historic homes, small towns and rolling hills of the countryside is captivating.
Plan on getting back up there again very soon.

When it comes to rude and crude fans, unfortunately we have our fair share. I hate to hear of such situations. I had a situation about 20 years ago at Bryant Denny at a LSU game. I had a young guy and his girlfriend sitting next to me that were LSU fans. They were waxing us pretty good and a couple highly intoxicated locals started in on them. My then eight year old son turned, picked up one of their shakers and began chanting “LSU...LSU...LSU...” . Funny because he was also wearing an Alabama jersey at the time. Basically he was showing these clowns how childish they were acting, almost to say “I would rather cheer for the opponent than be associated with you”. It shut them down pretty quickly.

As said earlier, sometimes we can learn much from the kids.

Last edited:

GP for Bama

All-American
Feb 3, 2011
Great videos! Especially the TD catch and run by Najee.
I really hate when our fans act the fool in opposing stadiums. So many fans forget that part of the Bama tradition is to show class.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.