News Article: Nate Oats Contract Extension

cjhadley

1st Team
Jan 1, 2007
Brewton, Alabama, United States
I realize it’s been quite a few years, inflation, etc, etc, but this is approximately the same salary as CNS’ first season. Considering it will likely be a while before anything is done about Coleman, it’s great to see the PTB showing this kind of commitment to CNO and the basketball program.
It might be a few years before it’s complete but I wouldn’t be surprised to see an announcement about the arena, either a new one or changes to Coleman, before long. Since that is something that Oats has mentioned as being something he thinks needs to be done in order to compete.

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
It might be a few years before it’s complete but I wouldn’t be surprised to see an announcement about the arena, either a new one or changes to Coleman, before long. Since that is something that Oats has mentioned as being something he thinks needs to be done in order to compete.
Coleman has had at least three facelifts since 1969. It’s no longer an issue of cosmetic surgery. It needs to be replaced, and everyone, including Oats, Byrne, Bell, the BoT, and big boosters recognize it.

It’s coming….but there are lots of drains on money. NIL, scholarships, escalating coaches’ and staff salaries, administration, facilities, marketing, etc., etc.

All it takes is money.…and I admit to being torn between funding legitimate needs (as defined by the marketplace) and sitting in front of a big TV, in climate controlled HVAC, with food done my way, beverages and clean bathrooms all within 10 steps.

We need to contribute or shut up. I’m currently a contributor who is admittedly reaching his choke point.

So for now I’ll add my voice to a replacement for Coleman. Having just coughed up a bunch of money for football Tide Pride and 2023 season tickets, that might or might not change.

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La
Opinion from a distance….

I think the cry for a new gym is less about the inadequacy of Coleman and more about “But Auburn got a new gym” whining.

But that may just be my view from afar.

Reactions: BamaMike05

CrimsonNagus

Hall of Fame
Jun 6, 2007
Montgomery, Alabama, United States
or changes to Coleman,
If that ends up being the plan then they should just not waste the money or time. It's already been done too many times.
Opinion from a distance….

I think the cry for a new gym is less about the inadequacy of Coleman and more about “But Auburn got a new gym” whining.

But that may just be my view from afar.
That's not fair because some of us have been dreaming, wishing for a new arena long before Auburn built theirs. Some have been calling for a new one before the last facelift of Coleman. Just because Auburn built one first means we have to change our tune?

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
If that ends up being the plan then they should just not waste the money or time. It's already been done too many times.

That's not fair because some of us have been dreaming, wishing for a new arena long before Auburn built theirs. Some have been calling for a new one before the last facelift of Coleman. Just because Auburn built one first means we have to change our tune?
Agree on both.

When the last facelift was done, I thought it was good money after bad, and said so here.

At the time, I wanted to bulldoze Coleman and build something better on that site. Since then, I’ve been convinced of the benefits of a Competition Arena, leaving Coleman alone.

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
Yep.

Coleman has needed to be replaced as a basketball arena for 20+ years. It's past time.
Foster Auditorium was built in 1939. Coleman (then called Memorial) replaced it in 1969. So Foster was 30 years old when it was replaced.

Facelifts acknowledged, Coleman is now 54 years old. You’re right….it’s well past time

Last edited:

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La
What does the a new gym do for the program?

I look at LSU -- Maravich was opened in 1972....and there are zero calls for it to be replaced. Occasional renovations, etc.

But do we really think players will be more likely to sign because of a gym?

Is Coleman in that bad a shape?

Reactions: Con

bamadwain

All-American
Oct 8, 2018
Jackson Tn
Congrats to Coach Oats! This show's Greg Byrne's commitment to coach and it also shows coach's commitment to Bama, he could easily have said wait to the end of the season to talk extension and entertain offers but he didn't do I think he's happy right here!

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.