News Article: Nate Oats on Alabama Roster: Article dated 22 Jun 2022

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
I don’t pretend to understand anything about coaching basketball. I do know that last year, we had what many said was our most talented team in decades.

But after a really nice start, it didn’t show on the court. To my untrained eye, we seemed to regress as the season wore on. Mental mistakes, inexplicable lapses in focus, and defensive effort way too often lacking any sort of “want-to.”

Serious question: Why was the 2020-21 season so different from the 2021-22 season, and what has changed to make us think that 2022-23 will revert back to two years ago? The player turnover has been heavy, and I’m not sure if that’s a good thing or a bad one.

I’d like to think of myself as a realistic, if biased, observer….neither a sunshine pumper nor an Eeyore. This is a sincere question, born of freely-acknowledged ignorance.

Anybody more knowledgeable out there? I’d truly appreciate some education here.

BAMAVILLE

Moderator (FB,BB,REC)
Staff member
Jan 9, 2014
Good question, it's a lot of unknowns at the moment. On the outside looking in, this year's team looks to have the same effect as Auburns team last season. We have two top 25 players on the roster in this year's class ... Brandon Miller is a legit one and done player.

It will be some growing pains but we should perform better this season.

BhamToTexas

1st Team
Dec 25, 2020
I don’t pretend to understand anything about coaching basketball. I do know that last year, we had what many said was our most talented team in decades.

But after a really nice start, it didn’t show on the court. To my untrained eye, we seemed to regress as the season wore on. Mental mistakes, inexplicable lapses in focus, and defensive effort way too often lacking any sort of “want-to.”

Serious question: Why was the 2020-21 season so different from the 2021-22 season, and what has changed to make us think that 2022-23 will revert back to two years ago? The player turnover has been heavy, and I’m not sure if that’s a good thing or a bad one.

I’d like to think of myself as a realistic, if biased, observer….neither a sunshine pumper nor an Eeyore. This is a sincere question, born of freely-acknowledged ignorance.

Agree with this. Also, I can hardly keep track now of who is even on the roster. So much changeover. It’s a different world.

TitleWave

All-American
Dec 3, 2012
Recent article from SI

Nate Oats comments on each newcomer joining the roster and his strategy on not filling the last scholarship spot.

Thought it was a good read.
Conversely - but not Converse-ly - Oates offers sage comments in The Athletic post-NBA draft on Davison and Ellis, and their capabilities and needed development in NBA terms and (he makes abundantly clear) coming from an NBA-style offense. If I'm a 4- or 5-star's guardian, I'm attuned to every word.

Reactions: dtgreg

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
Mountainous Northern California

The earlier team had Herb, the latter didn't.

IOW: Leadership, maturity, and desire. The intangibles.

Last year's team was talented enough to beat anyone, but it was a head case.

This year and next we get to see what Oats is really made of because there is arguably more talent for the upcoming season than we've had since the early 90's.

But as I said early last year: If they think they can walk out and win without putting in the effort...well, let's not find out again this season.

bvandegraff

All-American
Mar 13, 2014
Albuquerque, NM
It's very weird watching basically 2/3rds of a roster turnover from one year to the next, but I suppose that's the new normal in CBB.

A lack of depth down low and a lack of size at guard seemed to be major problems for last year's team. It looks like the 2023 roster will be taller overall (4 guards 6'3" and taller) and with luck Miller, Pringle, and Clowney will get quality time in games against bigger teams to help out Bediako.

We said it to the point of cliche in almost every game thread, but lack of leadership seemed to be a major issue last season. Who will this year's leaders be, and can Oats identify and nurture them? NT18 nailed it - we'll learn what he's made of. I personally think he's smart enough to have learned a lot from last year's disappointment and will show improvement in the non-X's and O's parts of big-time college coaching.

Let's just hope there are no major knee injuries this offseason.....

BAMAVILLE

Moderator (FB,BB,REC)
Staff member
Jan 9, 2014
It's very weird watching basically 2/3rds of a roster turnover from one year to the next, but I suppose that's the new normal in CBB.

A lack of depth down low and a lack of size at guard seemed to be major problems for last year's team. It looks like the 2023 roster will be taller overall (4 guards 6'3" and taller) and with luck Miller, Pringle, and Clowney will get quality time in games against bigger teams to help out Bediako.

We said it to the point of cliche in almost every game thread, but lack of leadership seemed to be a major issue last season. Who will this year's leaders be, and can Oats identify and nurture them? NT18 nailed it - we'll learn what he's made of. I personally think he's smart enough to have learned a lot from last year's disappointment and will show improvement in the non-X's and O's parts of big-time college coaching.

Let's just hope there are no major knee injuries this offseason.....
I always thought we had a leadership prep program but it just might be for football

AlexanderFan

Hall of Fame
Jul 23, 2004
Birmingham
The earlier team had Herb, the latter didn't.

IOW: Leadership, maturity, and desire. The intangibles.

Last year's team was talented enough to beat anyone, but it was a head case.

This year and next we get to see what Oats is really made of because there is arguably more talent for the upcoming season than we've had since the early 90's.

But as I said early last year: If they think they can walk out and win without putting in the effort...well, let's not find out again this season.
Let’s call it “peer accountability “, Oats can yell at you from court side all game, Coach his rear off inbetween, and give you all the tools to succeed, but until your teammates hold you accountable and light a fire under you it won’t matter.

Last year had no peer accountability.

Latest threads

Shop the TideFans.shop !

Your purchase through our TideFans.shop links helps support the site! Thanks!