National Transfer Portal news

Tideflyer

Hall of Fame
Dec 14, 2011
Savannah, GA
More iron is coming.

Also “to” vs “too” “newbie”
True, CC. The problem is keeping the " iron ". If a program ( UGA currently ? ) can develop some way to keep at least a significant portion of the " iron ", then that will be a foundation for domination over time. JMO.

Tenntiderman

All-American
Dec 1, 2017
Spring Hill, Tn
This times a gazillion. Each passing year I get less and less interested- it is now the NFL minor leagues, complete with contracts and unrestricted free agency.
Take away their scholarship and let someone else have their place in school; it used to be, that was their compensation. Now it’s an incredibly unfair perk that many of them don’t even use. I’m over all of this.
I wish this wasn't true but it is.

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La
True, CC. The problem is keeping the " iron ". If a program ( UGA currently ? ) can develop some way to keep at least a significant portion of the " iron ", then that will be a foundation for domination over time. JMO.
Kirby and Harbaugh stood pat for years. They didn’t figure it out. They waited until 2012 football was the outlier and most defenses didn’t have the weight and mass to defend it.

Jimbo was trying the same thing. He’s just not as good at it.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
This times a gazillion. Each passing year I get less and less interested- it is now the NFL minor leagues, complete with contracts and unrestricted free agency.
Take away their scholarship and let someone else have their place in school; it used to be, that was their compensation. Now it’s an incredibly unfair perk that many of them don’t even use. I’m over all of this.
I've not only lost some interest in CFB, I've regained interest in the NFL - if I'm going to watch professional athletes, I'd rather see them performing at the highest level.

CFB will never be able to provide the level of play the NFL does, so the more we make CFB akin to the NFL-lite, the less interest I have - just as I don't care about watching the service academies, G5, or FCS football.

CajunCrimson

Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La
I've not only lost some interest in CFB, I've regained interest in the NFL - if I'm going to watch professional athletes, I'd rather see them performing at the highest level.

CFB will never be able to provide the level of play the NFL does, so the more we make CFB akin to the NFL-lite, the less interest I have - just as I don't care about watching the service academies, G5, or FCS football.
You mean 1950s football doesn’t do it for you? ;)

• Haha
Reactions: crimsonaudio

gtgilbert

All-American
Aug 12, 2011
Losing Holden, Leary and Earle isn’t that huge. Burton, Prentice, Brooks, Bond, Law, Anderson, the Louisville kid and the freshmen leave us with 10+ receivers. None were elite. None showed the ability to get open regularly.

Booker was rising. Cohen losing minutes. Brockermeyer wasn’t getting much time. Jackson has been passed by Arnold. There was no room for him other than as added depth.

this wasn’t a mass exodus of starters.
I kinda get it with all but Cohen. yes, Booker earned some time in that spot, but there were going to be 2 wide open starting spots (Steen and Ekiyor) where Booker could earn a spot without taking Cohens and it's completely possible Booker slides out to the open OT spot. Dalcourt and Bowles already gone so very few other 2nd team guys left making a push. Ferguson got time in 4 mop up games, and Roberts in 2. As I said earlier, perplexing...

tusks_n_raider

Hall of Fame
May 13, 2009
Mobile, AL
Arizona St. has its top WR in the portal…1200 yards aint bad.
Do you mean Arizona WR Dorian Singer with 1,100 Yards?

He doesn't have a great 40 time but that guy makes some crazy good contested catches.

DBs will have him in Blanket coverage and he STILL comes down with the ball which is extra impressive because he's not very tall either.... listed at 6' 1" but he's gotta be 5'10" to 5'10.5" at best.

He will be a nice addition for some team...don't be shocked if Sark nabs him because Texas was in play for this kid when they canned Herman.

Reactions: bamacon and Cruloc

Cruloc

Hall of Fame
Sep 1, 2019
on3.com has 912 players in the portal overall.

Jimbo's got 15 in the portal.
Bama has 13 it appears.

Looks like Stanford has the most at 16. New coach coming.

Cruloc

Hall of Fame
Sep 1, 2019
Its interesting that Tommy Brockermeyer is in the portal but his brother isn't? Just making sure their decisions are separate maybe?

gtgilbert

All-American
Aug 12, 2011
Its interesting that Tommy Brockermeyer is in the portal but his brother isn't? Just making sure their decisions are separate maybe?
With Dalcourt graduating, J Brockermeyer is one of only two players on the roster or incoming who have ever played OC.

Reactions: B1GTide

CajunCrimson

Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La
on3.com has 912 players in the portal overall.

Jimbo's got 15 in the portal.
Bama has 13 it appears.

Looks like Stanford has the most at 16. New coach coming.
10 since the Auburn game. None are surprises except maybe Earle.

I know this stuff feeds the Eeyore mentality. But this may mean we get to upgrade and sign more recruits.

I love blue diamond almonds. Every so often they come out with new flavors. I will buy each one to try it. Sometimes I love them. Sometimes I give them to my kids. Occasionally I threw some away.

the portal Is like that.

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
10 since the Auburn game. None are surprises except maybe Earle.

I know this stuff feeds the Eeyore mentality. But this may mean we get to upgrade and sign more recruits.

I love blue diamond almonds. Every so often they come out with new flavors. I will buy each one to try it. Sometimes I love them. Sometimes I give them to my kids. Occasionally I threw some away.

the portal Is like that.
This is necessary for Bama. It needed to be done. To get back to Bama standard, Saban has to re plant the roots and establish the culture we desperately need. The Transfer portal may be the best thing that ever happened to Saban and the program. Yesterday we saw lot of offensive players going into portal, and I still think we arent' done. We're looking at 7 to 10 more players announcing in coming days.

Bama currently has 13 players in portal.
Texas A and M has 15 players in portal.
Georgia has 0 players in portal

This is for context. Georgia has 0, and the number will double in coming weeks.

Here's to think about:
703 players in D1 entered in portal yesterday.
FBS- 600 players.
FBS scholarship-457!!!!!!!!!!!

The Ols

Hall of Fame
Jul 8, 2012
Cumming,Ga.

All of this....but especially the bold....I hate to be the one to say it out loud but it's crappy football.

Cruloc

Hall of Fame
Sep 1, 2019
This is necessary for Bama. It needed to be done. To get back to Bama standard, Saban has to re plant the roots and establish the culture we desperately need. The Transfer portal may be the best thing that ever happened to Saban and the program. Yesterday we saw lot of offensive players going into portal, and I still think we arent' done. We're looking at 7 to 10 more players announcing in coming days.

Bama currently has 13 players in portal.
Texas A and M has 15 players in portal.
Georgia has 0 players in portal

This is for context. Georgia has 0, and the number will double in coming weeks.

Here's to think about:
703 players in D1 entered in portal yesterday.
FBS- 600 players.
FBS scholarship-457!!!!!!!!!!!
I'd imagine that the playoff teams won't have many in the portal right now.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
It may be time to go back and start re-evaluating three star recruits, looking a little harder at their potential, and start coaching three stars into five stars, aka Demeco Ryans to keep players in the program longer. If there are four stars not getting picked up in the transfer portal then that means three stars are even less in demand.

Here's the major flaw I see in expecting to consistently benefit from the transfer portal. There is a "thing" called team chemistry, it is the "humanness" of the sport that is as real as the oxygen in the air. I've been a part of teams and coached teams with talent all over the roster (baseball) yet won more with less talented teams and lost fewer games with less talented teams, because of continuity among the group that only comes with keeping the same core group of players together building something where the sum of the parts is much greater than the individual parts.

My fear for Alabama is this constant turnover of players going in and players going out is going to eat away at one of the foundational pillars of having a good team. Yes, all programs are going to have to deal with it, but Alabama has the furthest perch to fall from so we will see the greatest impact of it.

The Ols

Hall of Fame
Jul 8, 2012
Cumming,Ga.
It may be time to go back and start re-evaluating three star recruits, looking a little harder at their potential, and start coaching three stars into five stars, aka Demeco Ryans to keep players in the program longer. If there are four stars not getting picked up in the transfer portal then that means three stars are even less in demand.

Here's the major flaw I see in expecting to consistently benefit from the transfer portal. There is a "thing" called team chemistry, it is the "humanness" of the sport that is as real as the oxygen in the air. I've been a part of teams and coached teams with talent all over the roster (baseball) yet won more with less talented teams and lost fewer games with less talented teams, because of continuity among the group that only comes with keeping the same core group of players together building something where the sum of the parts is much greater than the individual parts.

My fear for Alabama is this constant turnover of players going in and players going out is going to eat away at one of the foundational pillars of having a good team. Yes, all programs are going to have to deal with it, but Alabama has the furthest perch to fall from so we will see the greatest impact of it.
It's why the Gonzagas and Butlers of the CBB world succeed...3-4 years playing together is immeasurable...

Reactions: bamamc1 and Cruloc

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.