National Transfer Portal news

Krymsonman

Hall of Fame
Sep 1, 2009
River Ridge, LA
Maybe I missed this, but what if total chaos reigns this weekend, and we somehow make it into the playoffs. Are all of the guys that have announced they are transferring, no longer part of the team?

merino

BamaNation Citizen
May 5, 2017
Leary’s departure is not unexpected. At the Spring game, according to what I read, he had the best game amongst the receivers. And then he vanished, hardly any playing time, if any, for unknown reasons. Was it bad hands, attitude, drop off in speed( allegedly the fastest on the squad), could not follow routes, argument with BOB, or what?

bamaclimber

3rd Team
Nov 28, 2016
The bigger question seems to be, how many WRs do we have left???
Great write up here:

WIDE RECEIVER
This one is a little tougher. In 2021, Alabama found themselves short-handed at the position late in the season and Nick Saban vowed not to let that happen again. Thus, they have a deep group of young talented receivers.

• Jermaine Burton JR - ? He came on strong in the last few games, but he could use another year of seasoning. However, it is very possible he could test the NFL waters.
  • Traeshon Holden JR - TRANSFER PORTAL: He had 6 touchdowns but all in blowout games. He often disappeared in the big games. Is it time for him to move on to another team or might he try for the NFL?
  • Ja’Corey Brooks SO - STAYING: Potential to be the next big ace receiver at Alabama if he can stay consistent.
  • Isaiah Bond FR - STAYING: Getting better every week.
  • Kendrick Law FR - STAYING: Improving, had all of his receptions in November games.
  • Kobe Prentice FR - STAYING: A surprise starter early in the season, led all Tide freshmen in receptions and yards.
  • JoJo Earle SO - STAYING: He needs a full year to show what he can do.
  • Shazz Preston FR - STAYING
  • Emmanuel Henderson FR - STAYING
  • Aaron Anderson FR - STAYING: An injury kept him out all year. Bama could have used a guy like him in the slot this year.
  • Tyler Harrell R-SR - ? He previously used his redshirt at Louisville and is a fifth year player. He has been injured most of this past year and did not play until October 22. Could Saban bring him back for a bonus year? If he is healthy and still has that breakaway speed, it could benefit both parties.
  • Christian Leary SO - TRANSFER PORTAL: Lost in the shuffle.
  • Thaiu Jones-Bell JR - TRANSFER? Passed up by younger players.

twofbyc

Hall of Fame
Oct 14, 2009
Leary’s departure is not unexpected. At the Spring game, according to what I read, he had the best game amongst the receivers. And then he vanished, hardly any playing time, if any, for unknown reasons. Was it bad hands, attitude, drop off in speed( allegedly the fastest on the squad), could not follow routes, argument with BOB, or what?
I’m curious about the drops - there were 21 or 22 before Austin Peay, IIRC. It seems from reports Holden dropped some but I’m curious about the rest.
Back in the day when Saban wasn’t a big fan of throwing the ball, he threw his receivers under the bus at a Dolphins press conference; something like “I can’t catch the ball for them” and “at this stage in their career they should know how to catch the ball”. In the game a tight end dropped a pass and maybe it was a critical point in the game (said tight end never became a “star”, might have left the game a year or two later, not sure.) Curious if that’s why some of them are leaving.

Reactions: B1GTide

AlexanderFan

Hall of Fame
Jul 23, 2004
Birmingham
Great write up here:

WIDE RECEIVER
This one is a little tougher. In 2021, Alabama found themselves short-handed at the position late in the season and Nick Saban vowed not to let that happen again. Thus, they have a deep group of young talented receivers.

• Jermaine Burton JR - ? He came on strong in the last few games, but he could use another year of seasoning. However, it is very possible he could test the NFL waters.
  • Traeshon Holden JR - TRANSFER PORTAL: He had 6 touchdowns but all in blowout games. He often disappeared in the big games. Is it time for him to move on to another team or might he try for the NFL?
  • Ja’Corey Brooks SO - STAYING: Potential to be the next big ace receiver at Alabama if he can stay consistent.
  • Isaiah Bond FR - STAYING: Getting better every week.
  • Kendrick Law FR - STAYING: Improving, had all of his receptions in November games.
  • Kobe Prentice FR - STAYING: A surprise starter early in the season, led all Tide freshmen in receptions and yards.
  • JoJo Earle SO - STAYING: He needs a full year to show what he can do.
  • Shazz Preston FR - STAYING
  • Emmanuel Henderson FR - STAYING
  • Aaron Anderson FR - STAYING: An injury kept him out all year. Bama could have used a guy like him in the slot this year.
  • Tyler Harrell R-SR - ? He previously used his redshirt at Louisville and is a fifth year player. He has been injured most of this past year and did not play until October 22. Could Saban bring him back for a bonus year? If he is healthy and still has that breakaway speed, it could benefit both parties.
  • Christian Leary SO - TRANSFER PORTAL: Lost in the shuffle.
  • Thaiu Jones-Bell JR - TRANSFER? Passed up by younger players.
And four incoming, so it’s not done yet.

Reactions: seebell

JDCrimson

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2006
If a regular student transfers, they have to worry about whether their degree credits transfer. This can be a pain and oftentimes is a deterrent in the student transferring. Sometimes in a transfer, a student loses a semester or two of transferable credits.

I wonder if academic eligibility, credit transfer could be factored or influenced in the transfer? Don't prohibit the athletic eligibility but stress the academic eligibility and limit the periods where the portal is open. Like after the competitive season I'd over.

The above would put the athletes on more equal footing with regular students.

Think about it when is the last time you heard of a player being academically ineligible?

Reactions: TexasBama

TexasBama

TideFans Legend
Jan 15, 2000
Houston, Texas USA
I wonder if academic eligibility, credit transfer could be factored or influenced in the transfer?
I have to believe it depends on where you're transferring to. Big State school to big state school, they probably make the academic transfer work.

For grins I looked up Stanford, and it appears they have had a total of one player transferring in, a guy that had completed his master's in economics in 4 years at OU and was a grad transfer.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
I have to believe it depends on where you're transferring to. Big State school to big state school, they probably make the academic transfer work.

For grins I looked up Stanford, and it appears they have had a total of one player transferring in, a guy that had completed his master's in economics in 4 years at OU and was a grad transfer.
One of the reasons that Shaw retired.

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.