National Transfer Portal news

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
Here's the list of Defensive Players...

I saw the list... I have feww thoughts on that and i'll be done with it :)

DL: Eboigbe career may be over due to Neck injury. We won't know for a while.
Oatis/Smith should be starter next year with Burrough and Latham pushing them I think they will be better. the DL depth is pretty good but need to get little more physical. I don't expect a transfer on DL

Edge Rusher: Turner/Braswell is a starter. Need to develop depth behind them. Kennedy should come back. Has opportunity to see playing time. Robinson/Alexander/Keeley/Pierre should have opportunites to push for playing time next year. I think we'll see 1 transfer out of the group by Spring/SUmmer.

Off Ball LB: Lawson/Blackshere should be okay as a starter. Campbell might get a shot. Do we see a transfer coming in at LB? I don't think so... It would require a player who's familar with scheme and can contribute quickly. Unless it's a transfer from Georgia, I don't see any transfer in/out of this group.

Secondary: Biggest questions in the group:
Kool Aid/Arnold should be returning CB, but I can see Robinson/Little battling them for spot. Little has impressed so much that I can see someone losing a spot.

Safety: Moore would be one to watch...Branch is gone, so I can see MOore as a full time starter with Story/Devonta Smith.

If we get the commits for 2023 as expected.. I can see Hurley Mitchell, Keeley, and Downs seeing playing time.

Reactions: Joe Bama 1990

smith5753

1st Team
Sep 12, 2010
Guntersville , AL
I
I'm going to point out something....

Part of the issue is BY often miss open receivers in early part when the ball is open. Receivers turns their head and they're open but he don't see them. That happened a lot against LSU and Ole miss game. Also there was open running lane for BY to run and he didnt take advantage of that. It has reached to the point that opposing team knew he wouldn't run and thats why they were comfortable sitting in zone defense often. If BY had run more.. you force team to respect that and receivers will be open more. Against Auburn... BY did that and guess what? REceivers were open. This is on BY and coaching staff for that.

Receivers- I don't put all on them. part of that is option routes.. its based on coverage they see. This is on BOB. We didnt' exploit one one matchup and wasn't often aggressive.
I agree and saw this as well. Bryce and the whole offense took a big step back this season. Thats why the drops by receivers in my mind hurt even worse; we’re already struggling to put together positive plays, whether on the ground or through the air, only to then drop some well thrown passes. Championship teams have players that make championship plays and we didn’t have that this year.

twofbyc

Suspended
Oct 14, 2009
IMO, Professionals are fair game because it's their job... :cool:
Well…if you’re getting NIL money, it ain’t for attending class. I don’t disagree with Saban’s take but I think it applies to college too; if you haven’t learned how to hold on to a pass by the time you get a college scholarship and that’s your position, somebody screwed up.
In this day and age, talent is more widespread but the drive to succeed is about the same, and if those with more talent don’t show the desire they get passed by the ones with the desire to be the best. I can guarantee, with no first hand knowledge, that every college receiver has been taught, for years, how to catch a pass. When they drop one, that’s on them; no one is perfect 100% of the time. But when it becomes a habit, it’s STILL on them.
When you own your own restaurant (not a chain), there is only one thing you cannot absolutely, positively totally control. You can control your prices, your food costs and the quality of the food that comes out of your kitchen; you cannot always control the service provided to your customers. Lack of focus, not concentrating on the task at hand and how to do it even though you’ve done it thousands of times causes mistakes; when they persist, a pattern develops. It’s no longer just a human error, it becomes a human shortcoming.
You can inspire, cajole, or even threaten; you can go overboard trying to improve focus and intensity. You can blame coaches for preparation, schemes and game plan. But when it all works in practice and fails in games, IMO it’s on the players, even at the college level. LSU had a championship team with two receivers who caught dang near everything in their zip code; now they are two of the best receivers in the NFL. Yes they run great routes, are big and physical and fast but they catch the damn ball; and they did in college. It’s not a coincidence. Smitty and JW aren’t far behind and they didn’t drop many either. (HR may not get a chance again anytime soon.)
I’m wondering if any team in the top 25 had as many drops as Bama this year; it’s not a stat commonly tracked or discussed except when it becomes habitual.

Last edited:

twofbyc

Suspended
Oct 14, 2009
When your QB is holding onto the ball for 9 seconds and still can't find an open receiver, there's a problem. Is it coaching or talent or most likely a combination of the two. Dropping passes that hit them in the hands is another issue altogether.
That’s why BY had the season he had; outstanding, but a step back from last year. He didn’t run when he could have (he can always slide), he’s never learned to to throw the ball away (a tough lesson to teach a competitor; Ewers threw the ball in the stands and got hurt, BY would’ve taken the sack). I don’t remember if his accuracy was off before the injury but after it there’s no question; didn’t he have a completion percentage below 60 in one of the last few games? His ability to extend plays helped more than it hurt, I think, but maybe not by as much as it should have.

gtgilbert

All-American
Aug 12, 2011
I saw the list... I have feww thoughts on that and i'll be done with it :)

DL: Eboigbe career may be over due to Neck injury. We won't know for a while.
Oatis/Smith should be starter next year with Burrough and Latham pushing them I think they will be better. the DL depth is pretty good but need to get little more physical. I don't expect a transfer on DL

Edge Rusher: Turner/Braswell is a starter. Need to develop depth behind them. Kennedy should come back. Has opportunity to see playing time. Robinson/Alexander/Keeley/Pierre should have opportunites to push for playing time next year. I think we'll see 1 transfer out of the group by Spring/SUmmer.

Off Ball LB: Lawson/Blackshere should be okay as a starter. Campbell might get a shot. Do we see a transfer coming in at LB? I don't think so... It would require a player who's familar with scheme and can contribute quickly. Unless it's a transfer from Georgia, I don't see any transfer in/out of this group.

Secondary: Biggest questions in the group:
Kool Aid/Arnold should be returning CB, but I can see Robinson/Little battling them for spot. Little has impressed so much that I can see someone losing a spot.

Safety: Moore would be one to watch...Branch is gone, so I can see MOore as a full time starter with Story/Devonta Smith.

If we get the commits for 2023 as expected.. I can see Hurley Mitchell, Keeley, and Downs seeing playing time.
Don't sleep on Murphy making a push for one of the ILB spots. When HTT was out against aubarn tending to his busted nose, it was Murphy who took the reps versus Moody or Campbell and I think Campbell has played enough on special teams that it's not like we were trying to save a redshirt.

Con

Hall of Fame
Dec 19, 2006
Northern Hemisphere
Don't sleep on Murphy making a push for one of the ILB spots. When HTT was out against aubarn tending to his busted nose, it was Murphy who took the reps versus Moody or Campbell and I think Campbell has played enough on special teams that it's not like we were trying to save a redshirt.
Was Murphy #11 on defense?

gtgilbert

All-American
Aug 12, 2011
Was Murphy #11 on defense?
11 is Kristen Story. He got some reps in real game time last weekend also -looked like in Dime so was down around the spots the LBs would be sometimes. Murhpy is #43. Played all the reps when HTT was getting his nose fixed.

• Thank You
Reactions: Con and B1GTide

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
Not sure about who started, but I also noticed Deonte Lawson getting most of the ILB snaps alongside TooToo, even early in the barn game.

Looks like he passed Moody late in the season.

gtgilbert

All-American
Aug 12, 2011
Not sure about who started, but I also noticed Deonte Lawson getting most of the ILB snaps alongside TooToo, even early in the barn game.

Looks like he passed Moody late in the season.
I thought the same thing...he's a better athlete than Moody and plays the RB's and TE's better.
Pretty sure lawson started and he certainly got most of the snaps - Moody had zero stats for the game and I don't recall seeing him play so I think Moody might have been dinged or something else was going on since he didn't go in even when HTT was out.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
Pretty sure lawson started and he certainly got most of the snaps - Moody had zero stats for the game and I don't recall seeing him play so I think Moody might have been dinged or something else was going on since he didn't go in even when HTT was out.
New LB recruit was a teammate of Lawson's and the article I read said his minutes in the system this year was one of the factors to giving his verbal to Bama.

bamaslammer

All-American
Jan 8, 2003
Argo, AL, St Clair
www.kirkwoodhouse.com
Love how the Youtube guys bring up our now yearly exodus to the portal as if the players are abandoning a sinking ship. This is pretty much going to be normal at any top program. But this is a good time to Pile on Alabama.

Couple of thoughts on this

We used to have this attitude of not criticizing players for several reasons, they were kids, and they were not pro football players and weren't getting paid. Well not our guys specifically but a lot of people worked to get these guys paid and got them freedom to move, and now they are paid and can move. But with the $$ comes a whole different world. Now you're performing for money and if you, say drop every 3rd and important pass that comes your way.... I as a fan have every right to express my opinion of you, and as a coach, I have every right to replace you with someone who will catch those passes, because I know that if you feel you're not getting a "fair shake" you'll be out the door. Loyalty is irrelevant now. Every team is going to be a collection of guys who committed to play THAT year.

Now further changes are coming with the 12 team playoff. This adds more pro like components. On the up side a 1 point loss in Tiger Stadium no longer ends your season. But on the down side you're going to have to play more games to win it all. More games means more injuries, more injuries means managing your 2's is going to be the difference between championships and everyone else. Ask yourself, if we had the 12 team playoff now, would saban have rested Young for 2 to 4 weeks to get him back full strength, hoping he could scrabble enough wins together to still make the playoffs? I don't know that answer but I do know the question would have to be answered in the football building. It's also going to be more imperative that you're 2's are ready to play winning ball, but there is a problem with this.

We still have some old rules that are now way out of date. One is the 85 scholarship limit, that needs to go up by 10 at least. And practice time restrictions, those need to stay but they need to increase to a more reasonable figure. Remember these guys are students, but they are not JUST Students any more, they are paid athletes. Also note these restrictions were not always in place and those full time students still graduated and didn't die on the practice field. The increased time is needed to ensure that the 2's are getting trained. This after all benefits everyone, the team and the player. 2's who are now going to be the difference between winning and losing at some point. And let me say that historically Saban in my opinion has not done a good jobs with having backups ready to play. Part of that might have been his singular focus on winning every game, and that was how you made the playoff, but starting in 2024 that's not necessary, but getting there and being at your best going into the playoffs will be. Does his coaching change? Can he change? history says yes, but we will have to see.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
We used to have this attitude of not criticizing players for several reasons, they were kids, and they were not pro football players and weren't getting paid. Well not our guys specifically but a lot of people worked to get these guys paid and got them freedom to move, and now they are paid and can move. But with the $$ comes a whole different world. Now you're performing for money and if you, say drop every 3rd and important pass that comes your way.... I as a fan have every right to express my opinion of you, and as a coach, I have every right to replace you with someone who will catch those passes, because I know that if you feel you're not getting a "fair shake" you'll be out the door. Loyalty is irrelevant now. Every team is going to be a collection of guys who committed to play THAT year.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.