National Transfer Portal news

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
What happens if someone enters the portal, doesn't get any offers that he likes, and pulls back out? Does he lose his scholarship? Does he move to the bottom of the depth chart? How long is he in Saban's dog house? What are the repurcussions?
100% up to the school.

Reactions: B1GTide

dabamafan

2nd Team
May 8, 2002
murfreesboro,tn USA
The minute that a player enters the portal, the school has the right to immediately pull all scholarship resources. Depending on the player and school, he could find himself without a scholarship offer from within or outside. It is a risk, to be sure, and many did not get picked up last year.
I saw an article that said 54% didnt get picked up last year but I cant recall where I read it.

Reactions: seebell and B1GTide

Krymsonman

Hall of Fame
Sep 1, 2009
River Ridge, LA
Man, what a bloodbath!! I hope Coach Saban has something working behind the scenes that we don't know about. This just seems like a lot of higher profile players hitting the road.

Whatever happened to the good old days where you signed a guy and knew you had him for four years. That later become three for the star players, and now it's just a revolving door. I'm too old for this stuff.:confused:

dWarriors88

All-American
Jan 4, 2009
Tulsa, OK
Man, what a bloodbath!! I hope Coach Saban has something working behind the scenes that we don't know about. This just seems like a lot of higher profile players hitting the road.

Whatever happened to the good old days where you signed a guy and knew you had him for four years. That later become three for the star players, and now it's just a revolving door. I'm too old for this stuff.:confused:
At the end of the day, less wealthy football teams and subsequent fans/media wanted more parity in college football. They were tired of the same teams running the table every year, they wanted this alt-style free agency in college football. The days of running dynasties in the fashion we've grown accustom too as fans are essentially gone. Every year for most programs across the nation, the 'end of season'/off season will be a circus. And it's basically a game of musical chairs where the last guy standing gets the chair yanked from under him when the music stops.

twofbyc

Hall of Fame
Oct 14, 2009
What I don't wanna do is get in the habit of making excuses for the players leaving "ya he didnt add weight like he was supposed to, he didn't ever pan out the way we thought" and then get excited about a potential incoming transfer who was a lesser recruit coming out of highschool. That blows, it feels like we're trading our talented recruits for busts that couldn't hack it at another program. :confused:

All this leads me to the conclusion that I just don't FEEL for college football like I did even just 5 years ago. Let alone 15 years ago
This times a gazillion. Each passing year I get less and less interested- it is now the NFL minor leagues, complete with contracts and unrestricted free agency.
Take away their scholarship and let someone else have their place in school; it used to be, that was their compensation. Now it’s an incredibly unfair perk that many of them don’t even use. I’m over all of this.

twofbyc

Hall of Fame
Oct 14, 2009
I kinda like what Kirby said about not bringing in transfers. Makes it to easy to not develop the guys you have.
This is true…but how many did Kirby lose last year? Outside of Burton who I never thought was all that.

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La
Losing Holden, Leary and Earle isn’t that huge. Burton, Prentice, Brooks, Bond, Law, Anderson, the Louisville kid and the freshmen leave us with 10+ receivers. None were elite. None showed the ability to get open regularly.

Booker was rising. Cohen losing minutes. Brockermeyer wasn’t getting much time. Jackson has been passed by Arnold. There was no room for him other than as added depth.

this wasn’t a mass exodus of starters.

smith5753

1st Team
Sep 12, 2010
Guntersville , AL
Losing Holden, Leary and Earle isn’t that huge. Burton, Prentice, Brooks, Bond, Law, Anderson, the Louisville kid and the freshmen leave us with 10+ receivers. None were elite. None showed the ability to get open regularly.

Booker was rising. Cohen losing minutes. Brockermeyer wasn’t getting much time. Jackson has been passed by Arnold. There was no room for him other than as added depth.

this wasn’t a mass exodus of starters.
My thoughts exactly; especially regarding the receivers . We saw the freshmen get more and more snaps as the season rolled on which tells you what You need to know about the upperclassman at that position. We likely didn’t even see one of the better freshmen receivers due to injury. Of course we don’t know where this freshman class will finish at, but just imagine trying to keep the class we had in 17 off the field.

Tidelines

All-American
Oct 19, 2022
Playing time is one factor with all these transfers ,but you are also losing quality competition in practice. I have heard several recruits use the term “ iron sharpens iron.” That is why they choose to sign with Bama. Our depth gets hurt with these transfers which is a bigger loss than appears on the surface. Not to bad a post for a “ newbee”

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La
Playing time is one factor with all these transfers ,but you are also losing quality competition in practice. I have heard several recruits use the term “ iron sharpens iron.” That is why they choose to sign with Bama. Our depth gets hurt with these transfers which is a bigger loss than appears on the surface. Not to bad a post for a “ newbee”
More iron is coming.

Also “to” vs “too” “newbie”

Tideflyer

Hall of Fame
Dec 14, 2011
Savannah, GA
Agree. Developing " quality " depth is infinitely more difficult now. Yes, that`s reflected in the quality of practice reps as well.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.