National Transfer Portal news

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
The portal is not the panacea that players think...only about 50% actually find another school...many give up scholarships too. Its more of a lottery than a certainty of success
The transfer portal is in effect for all scholarshipped sports, not just football and men’s basketball.

A while back I read some statistics showing more athletes in the portal than all the scholarships that can be awarded in all sports — and that doesn’t include an allocation for incoming freshmen.

A LOT of kids get hurt, and there’s no doubt some of it is self-inflicted.

I also wonder what portion of them are not there by choice, but have been asked to move on by their coach — whether that’s a new coach (e.g., Deion Sanders’ first speech to the CU team), or the one they originally signed with.

bamadwain

All-American
Oct 8, 2018
Jackson Tn
My last thought on the portal, I'm old school so you leave you quit on your team guys that you sweated, bleed with and now you want to take your ball and leave, these guy's transferring just didn't decide Monday they were leaving so they haven't been engaged for some time, this could of been not all but some of our issues

CB4

Hall of Fame
Aug 8, 2011
Birmingham, AL
Heard on JOX st lunch today that Earle was going to texas 5&7. I guess we'll see.
This is what I don’t get. Earle was penciled in as the primary return guy and in the wide receiver rotation until his injury at the start of the year.
Success is not promised. Opportunity is though. And almost everything indicates he had that opportunity and was having success until the injury. And even after the injury JoJo was working back into the rotation. So now you bail?

Someone got in JoJo’s ear.

Compare this to Trey Sanders. Grad transfer now but a young man dealt a terrible hand in terms of injuries. Yet he stayed and continued to press on. No things didn’t turn out for him the way we had all wished, but he leaves Tuscaloosa with a degree, an opportunity, and admiration of thousands of Alabama fans.

twofbyc

Hall of Fame
Oct 14, 2009
It may be time to go back and start re-evaluating three star recruits, looking a little harder at their potential, and start coaching three stars into five stars, aka Demeco Ryans to keep players in the program longer. If there are four stars not getting picked up in the transfer portal then that means three stars are even less in demand.

Here's the major flaw I see in expecting to consistently benefit from the transfer portal. There is a "thing" called team chemistry, it is the "humanness" of the sport that is as real as the oxygen in the air. I've been a part of teams and coached teams with talent all over the roster (baseball) yet won more with less talented teams and lost fewer games with less talented teams, because of continuity among the group that only comes with keeping the same core group of players together building something where the sum of the parts is much greater than the individual parts.

My fear for Alabama is this constant turnover of players going in and players going out is going to eat away at one of the foundational pillars of having a good team. Yes, all programs are going to have to deal with it, but Alabama has the furthest perch to fall from so we will see the greatest impact of it.
One team doesn’t have to deal with it; it would behoove not only his mentor but all coaches to try and figure out how he’s doing it.
They ain’t all 3 stars, either. Something he’s doing is getting the best who will stay; is any other P5 team doing the same?
And I agree; it does matter. I’ve said since this nonsense started that there would be team chemistry issues, and you could color me shocked if there has been none at Bama. Certainly doesn’t seem to be any in Athens.

• Thank You
Reactions: rtr90 and UAH

Bpilktree

1st Team
Jan 7, 2019
Denver Harris entered the portal and is a big name out there at cornerback from last year’s class. I believe he was one of the guys Saban was referring to in his beef as well.

bamacon

Hall of Fame
Apr 11, 2008
College Football's Mecca, Tuscaloosa
Do you mean Arizona WR Dorian Singer with 1,100 Yards?

He doesn't have a great 40 time but that guy makes some crazy good contested catches.

DBs will have him in Blanket coverage and he STILL comes down with the ball which is extra impressive because he's not very tall either.... listed at 6' 1" but he's gotta be 5'10" to 5'10.5" at best.

He will be a nice addition for some team...don't be shocked if Sark nabs him because Texas was in play for this kid when they canned Herman.
The ticker I saw said ASU but it is Az. Dude can flat out catch. Some WRs are just like that. Id love the 40 time but we need guys who can go get the dang ball.

Reactions: tusks_n_raider

BigPoppa52

3rd Team
Oct 25, 2020
They lost a good bit but the only ones that jumped out were JT Daniels who had no chance of starting this year and Burton. The biggest thing is they brought none in. If you get the wrong guys in it can impact the culture of your football team.
Speaking of JT, I saw this afternoon that he is in the portal too - going to his 4th team I think.

Tideflyer

Hall of Fame
Dec 14, 2011
Savannah, GA
This is what I don’t get. Earle was penciled in as the primary return guy and in the wide receiver rotation until his injury at the start of the year.
Success is not promised. Opportunity is though. And almost everything indicates he had that opportunity and was having success until the injury. And even after the injury JoJo was working back into the rotation. So now you bail?

Someone got in JoJo’s ear.

Compare this to Trey Sanders. Grad transfer now but a young man dealt a terrible hand in terms of injuries. Yet he stayed and continued to press on. No things didn’t turn out for him the way we had all wished, but he leaves Tuscaloosa with a degree, an opportunity, and admiration of thousands of Alabama fans.
Trey has something that`s often all to rare in occurrence, regardless of age. It`s called " character ".

• Heart
Reactions: B1GTide and CB4

Tenntiderman

All-American
Dec 1, 2017
Spring Hill, Tn
How would you like to put your whole soul into your freshman/sophomore years thinking that as a junior you will be ready and get your chance....only for the team to take transfers who immediately start? Players that werent at the early morning weight sessions, the off-season voluntary workouts, going 100% in practice knowing you werent going to get a rep on the weekend but thinking you would in a year or so....only to see someone gifted your spot....welcome to the transfer portal dynamic that will kill team morale
Well said...and everybody has had these thoughts. I am starting to think that something might be done if the collective outcry is enough. Can of worms it is. But if the purpose was to create parity of some kind..it seems to have worked.

Reactions: Tidelines

CB4

Hall of Fame
Aug 8, 2011
Birmingham, AL
Speaking of JT, I saw this afternoon that he is in the portal too - going to his 4th team I think.
Bru McCoy the WR at Tennessee went so many times back forth between Austin, TX and Los Angeles that he must have had some special frequent flyer program with Southwest.

Jan of 2019 commits to USC, signs and enrolls. Then two weeks later jumps into the portal transfers and enrolls at Texas. Then five months later in June of 2019 he transfers back to USC. Transfers twice in 5 five months. Then March of 2022 jumps in the portal again and transfers to Tennessee. Won’t be surprised to see him there again either for the fourth time.

Bru and JT have spent more time in portals than the crew of the Starship Enterprise.

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.