National Transfer Portal news

CrimsonJazz

All-American
May 27, 2022
Oh no doubt this is what has happened and it's impacted me as well. Be it right or wrong, I now have little to no interest in taking what amounts to half a day every Saturday to watch not-great football. Even though what I'm watching is good football, just not great football. I guess my daddy's saying "once you've had a steak you don't want to go back to hotdogs" applies here. LOL!
The one thing that always made college football such a superior product to the NFL was the pageantry and passion. Most players understood that there was no career in the pros for them when their time was up; they played for pride and a genuine desire to win. Sadly, those days are (mostly) over. NIL and the quitter hole has absolutely ruined the game I once so loved. It won't push me to watching a bunch of overpaid man-babies on Sunday, but my interest is clearly starting to wane a little.

UAH

All-American
Nov 27, 2017
Not that its important, but if BOB and PG return for 2023, I may have to take a year off from football or just follow the scores or something. I'm not gonna sit and watch with frustration all the same stuff that keeps happening. Doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different outcome.......nah.
I am pretty negative on the situation with the changes that have come to the game. The NCAA has continued to prove themselves incompetent in creating consistent regulation of NIL and transfers. ESPN's and television influence in general is creating a game for 18 - 25 year olds who have an attention span of 30 seconds.

It is reasonable to believe that traditional programs will suffer without dramatic changes to their approach to coaching and recruiting.

We are attempting to change our focus and expectations away from college/semi professional football.

Change Is Coming for Everyone in College Football—Even Alabama
The Ringer

CB4

Hall of Fame
Aug 8, 2011
Birmingham, AL
I am pretty negative on the situation with the changes that have come to the game. The NCAA has continued to prove themselves incompetent in creating consistent regulation of NIL and transfers. ESPN's and television influence in general is creating a game for 18 - 25 year olds who have an attention span of 30 seconds.

It is reasonable to believe that traditional programs will suffer without dramatic changes to their approach to coaching and recruiting.

We are attempting to change our focus and expectations away from college/semi professional football.

The Ringer
I think the article hit for the most part on my thoughts. The student/athlete is going to use the portal as a tool to “evaluate or re-evaluate” their NIL value. It isn’t without risk though as a player could find no takers and be left without a program/scholarship.

It did make a very valid point about Kiffin/Riley/Kelly and others that used the portal to turn programs quickly. CNS has always been about buying into a process. It will be more difficult going forward most likely to sell the notion of commitment and dedication to a system when the easier course of the portal looms.

Last edited:
  • Thank You
Reactions: UAH

bamaslammer

All-American
Jan 8, 2003
Argo, AL, St Clair
www.kirkwoodhouse.com

The Ringer
It's worth noting that the number of roster spots in the NFL has not changed and is not going to change. So all this moving around might give a hand full of players a shot at playing time that will matter, but the vast majority, like 98% probably will end up exactly where they were always going to end up. Getting a regular job. except now they will be a legacy of no program. There were a lot of Alabama and Auburn players who never made noise beyond the campus but used their fame as former players to kick start careers. That won't work when you played at 3 different schools.

Tidelines

All-American
Oct 19, 2022
I have always thought the big pro contracts and now these NIL deals in college are a hidden form of reparation. Putting more money In minority communities. The athletes work for it, but pro salaries far out paced non sports salaries. When you have owners willing giving up bigger slices of the pie some unseen pressure is in play. Now colleges are following suit.Not political just my thoughts on what is going on in college sports and why it is here to stay.

Last edited:
  • Thank You
Reactions: Padreruf and UAH

Cruloc

Hall of Fame
Sep 1, 2019
Given how transfers work now....I expect Prime @ Colorado to have an 80% roster turnover, if not more. There are a bunch of kids that will go out there just to play for Deion.

Without the portal the way it is now, it would take him longer to win, longer to turnover the roster, and longer to even sniff winning out there. Now, he could quite literally turn them into a potential Pac 12 contender in 2023.

twofbyc

Hall of Fame
Oct 14, 2009
I have heard on a site that I watch on YT....that BOB and PG are expected to return. I have no idea, but if that is the case? I do know that some of the current players are not pleased..and there is no doubt whatsoever that the ex-players are not pleased. I think those changes MUST be made, but I am not CNS. He will make a decision soon on that..and I really hope he decides for the future. We still have a game to play, so he wouldn't do anything now. The man knows what he is doing.
There was a recruit who reportedly said that BoB told him he might not be around next year. His contract is up. You don’t even hint at that if you’re staying. If report is accurate, he’s gone.
I’m not sure he wants to stay, number one, and number two, I think CNS would only bring him back if there’s literally no one to replace him with. There are better OC’s out there, but do they want to work for Saban? There are definitely many worse.
PG is in a different category. He is, IMHO, responsible for both of Bama’s losses this year; but he is Saban’s wunderkind, and somebody’s gonna swallow a lot of pride to cut him loose.
I don’t think either comes back, but I’m less sure about PG. So if everything goes according to Hoyle, PG is gone and BoB returns, if the last week is any indication…

Reactions: B1GTide

davefrat

Hall of Fame
Jun 4, 2002
Hopewell, VA
I’m with you. I want some return on my investments.
The time may come where schools sign players to employment contracts and pay them directly from athletic department revenues.

I'm not saying I want that to happen, but it may be the only way to control the constant mobility.

Then again, the next step might be player's having buyout clauses in their contracts.

The entire thing is a gigantic mess that was in part created by the NCAA's refusal to budge on player compensation.

The transfer portal was an attempt to placate players while denying them the ability to make money.

Now that the courts ruled in favor of players getting paid it's totally out of control.

• Thank You
Reactions: UAH

twofbyc

Hall of Fame
Oct 14, 2009
I think the article hit for the most part on my thoughts. The student/athlete is going to use the portal as a tool to “evaluate or re-evaluate” their NIL value. It isn’t without risk though as a player could find no takers and be left without a program/scholarship.

It did make a very valid point about Kiffin/Riley/Kelly and others that used the portal to turn programs quickly. CNS has always been about buying into a process. It will be more difficult going forward most likely to sell the notion of commitment and dedication to a system when the easier course of the portal looms.
You left out Heupel.

• Thank You
Reactions: UAH and CB4

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
You left out Heupel.
One of the things teams like 2022 Tenn, 2021 & 2022 UGA, 2020 Bama, and 2019 LSU have eerily in common is/was "older" quarterbacks.

2022 Tennessee's QB- 24
2021 and 2022 UGA's QB- 25
2020 Bama's QB- 22
2019 LSU's QB- 23

No way this is just a coincidence with their success for that season.

Last edited:

JDCrimson

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2006
Irrespective of the value of the scholarship etc. Per NCAA rules, programs were allowed to provide $4000 per month stipend to each student-athlete. In addition at Alabama, each football player received a $25,000 per year NIL royalty. That is nearly $75,000 per player in support. For a full 105 roster, that's nearly $8mm in player cash support each year!

Instead of 85 scholarship athletes per roster I wouldn't be surprised to see that being lowered to 75 and the walk-on program eliminated altogether with the advent of NIL to reduce costs and provide more individual instruction of players.

Last edited:
  • Wow
  • Thank You
Reactions: UAH and Con

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
Irrespective of the value of the scholarship etc. Per NCAA rules, programs were allowed to provide $4000 per month stipend to each student-athlete. In addition, each football player received a $25,000 per year NIL royalty. That nearly $75,000 per player in support. For a full 105 roster, that's nearly $8mm in player cash support each year!
"Fair" ain't cheap is it? :sick:

Reactions: UAH and Tidelines

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.