National Transfer Portal news

Con

Hall of Fame
Dec 19, 2006
Northern Hemisphere
One of the things teams like 2022 Tenn, 2021 & 2022 UGA, 2020 Bama, and 2019 LSU have eerily in common is/was "older" quarterbacks.

2022 Tennessee's QB- 24
2021 and 2022 UGA's QB- 25
2020 Bama's QB- 22
2019 LSU's QB- 23

No way this is just a coincidence with their success for that season.
Seems like the teams in general had a few more years on them. Kids coming back for that senior year.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Bamabuzzard

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Yes, but he's been injured - they've not had him as a player for most of the season (unless I'm mistaken).

IOW, not the same as just quitting your team to focus on your own future.
He was and is still injured. He said that we would not be medically cleared to play in the CFP, so he is leaving school and going all in on his recovery and draft prep. Definitely not quitting as he would play if cleared.

twofbyc

Hall of Fame
Oct 14, 2009
One of the things teams like 2022 Tenn, 2021 & 2022 UGA, 2020 Bama, and 2019 LSU have eerily in common is/was "older" quarterbacks.

2022 Tennessee's QB- 24
2021 and 2022 UGA's QB- 25
2020 Bama's QB- 22
2019 LSU's QB- 23

No way this is just a coincidence with their success for that season.
It’s not - bribe Selma to go back the last forty years (maybe a little more) and look at slightly better than mediocre teams who had a QB in their mid-20’s who made them look like world beaters, even national champs, and said QB’s failed (some spectacularly) in the pros.
Older QB’s just seem to do much better in college than the regular 18-22 year olds.

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
I do question how much money boosters are willing to drop on athletes realizing there is no way for them to get a ROI for that. I love Alabama but money is money.
I’m with you. I want some return on my investments.
They do get return on their investment….it’s just not a monetary return.

They get to rub shoulders with the star players. They feel like they have something to do with wins. They feel like they’re helping their school, and get to feel like insiders. Also invitations to the President’s Box, pregame parties at the President’s Mansion, maybe even a visit to the HC’s house.

None of that has any monetary value — it’s all about feeling like you’re “somebody who knows all the scoop.”

In my banking career, I saw several formerly-rich guys develop gambling problems. So I do worry that, somewhere along the way, an NIL sponsor with a big gambling debt will pay a college player to drop a key pass, not see a DB, or lose a fumble at a highly convenient time.

It’s coming. The question is whether it’ll be a one-time aberration, or a recurring theme across a number of programs and players.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
Looks like Jermain Burton is returning to Bama for his senior year. I think that is a good thing and hope he can get even better next year with whoever the QB is. At least he has some experience.
This isn't necessarily a bad thing. He will be truly "a grown man" and just like older QB's, I think older WR's with his experience could be invaluable next season to our offense.

Tenntiderman

All-American
Dec 1, 2017
Spring Hill, Tn
There was a recruit who reportedly said that BoB told him he might not be around next year. His contract is up. You don’t even hint at that if you’re staying. If report is accurate, he’s gone.
I’m not sure he wants to stay, number one, and number two, I think CNS would only bring him back if there’s literally no one to replace him with. There are better OC’s out there, but do they want to work for Saban? There are definitely many worse.
PG is in a different category. He is, IMHO, responsible for both of Bama’s losses this year; but he is Saban’s wunderkind, and somebody’s gonna swallow a lot of pride to cut him loose.
I don’t think either comes back, but I’m less sure about PG. So if everything goes according to Hoyle, PG is gone and BoB returns, if the last week is any indication…
I would think that a OC would know the talent that he would inherit, and would want to continue building his resume..a coveted job. Shouldn't be so hard to find a replacement. I will say this...when BOB was hired I was recalling Penn St and how nobody wanted to play those guys when he was HC up there. I haven't seen at Bama what I saw at PSU. He wasn't OC there.

Last edited:
Reactions: UAH

twofbyc

Hall of Fame
Oct 14, 2009
I would think that a OC would know the talent that he would inherit, and would want to continue building his resume..a coveted job. Shouldn't be so hard to find a replacement. I will say this...when BOB was hired I was recalling Penn St and how nobody wanted to play those guys when he was HC up there. I haven't seen at Bama what I saw at PSU. He wasn't OC there.
People are human, and I don’t think many coaches work as hard as Saban; talent level will only matter to someone willing to work as hard as he does, and that dang sure ain’t everybody.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.