National Transfer Portal news

twofbyc

Hall of Fame
Oct 14, 2009
$25000 x 105 = $2,625,000

Saban believes each player should get the same amount. Although a few might get a little extra.
I don’t disagree - but then, I also thought a 4 year free ride and a respectable monthly stipend is enough. I also think all elections should be “publicly” funded, meaning by x amount of tax dollars, period.
But, yeah, money may not be the root of all evil; if it’s not, it must be it’s most powerful fertilizer.

Tidelines

All-American
Oct 19, 2022
Reactions: Go Bama

DrollTide

All-SEC
Oct 18, 2008
Hunts Patch
Alabama NIL Values

It looks like we saved 636 thousand off our 14.1 million dollar budget
Unreal. But I feel sorry for our big uglies, many of whom labor in obscurity for relatively paltry sums. Oatis seems like a bargain at $38k. Dalcourt, $27k, Steen $26k.

gtgilbert

All-American
Aug 12, 2011
Unreal. But I feel sorry for our big uglies, many of whom labor in obscurity for relatively paltry sums. Oatis seems like a bargain at $38k. Dalcourt, $27k, Steen $26k.
The on3 numbers are not what the guys are really getting. It's just their estimate of what they could be worth, but it's true, OL types other than your LT, aren't going to get the big $. Holds true in the pro ranks also.

NoNC4Tubs

Hall of Fame
Nov 13, 2010
Does Saban believe that all head coaches should get the same pay? If Saban said this then he might really need to head to the lake.
I'm thinking that he meant that some players don't get anything and that they should get something. Also, if there is a lot of disparity, it could create problems in the locker room.

I dunno... :unsure:

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
I'm thinking that he meant that some players don't get anything and that they should get something. Also, if there is a lot of disparity, it could create problems in the locker room.

I dunno... :unsure:
Once the dominoes fell on players being able to get money just like the coaches, then the players are going to have to be treated like the coaches, which means, the player can get whatever a willing "buyer" is willing to pay, without restrictions. So no, everybody "getting the same" isn't going to fly.

lowend

All-SEC
Feb 20, 2005
Once the dominoes fell on players being able to get money just like the coaches, then the players are going to have to be treated like the coaches
To me that means a contract with the university, an employee code of conduct, etc. It's time to give up the student-athlete charade and make them employees.

NoNC4Tubs

Hall of Fame
Nov 13, 2010
To me that means a contract with the university, an employee code of conduct, etc. It's time to give up the student-athlete charade and make them employees.
NIL deals are not connected to the school in any way (or at least they aren't supposed to be). :cool:

Reactions: B1GTide

day-day

Hall of Fame
Jan 2, 2005
Bartlett, TN (Memphis area)
Rick Neuhuisel said in his radio show that he had heard that Dallas Turner was being offered one million dollars to transfer to Miami.
College football is going crazy.
For something like this, is the school involved (Miami in this case) or is someone making an NIL offer without knowing there is a spot for the player at the school? I'm guessing that players cannot be contacted by schools unless the player contacts them first. I don't know if the player has to be in the transfer portal for this or not.

Before the transfer portal existed, I think players and often their current coaches would reach out to other schools if the player was interested in leaving.

Anyone have any clarification on how this works now?

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
For something like this, is the school involved (Miami in this case) or is someone making an NIL offer without knowing there is a spot for the player at the school? I'm guessing that players cannot be contacted by schools unless the player contacts them first. I don't know if the player has to be in the transfer portal for this or not.

Before the transfer portal existed, I think players and often their current coaches would reach out to other schools if the player was interested in leaving.

The obvious loophole to get around this is the independent NIL party really isn't independent, but is being communicated with by the school. Information from within the program "leaks" to the third party regarding potential targets, available roster spots, etc. Then the "independent" third party approaches the player. That is more than likely what is going on everywhere.

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL

This is part of the problem. The ncaa ought to be providing this clarification but apparently they are indefinitely out to lunch.

AlistarWills

All-American
Jul 26, 2006
I truly wonder what these kids are taking in school. Does their destination school have the same program? Do their credits transfer? Are they starting anew on something else? Will they perpetually take freshman level courses?
At some point all of these kids will be told by their body or someone else, that they are done with ball. Saban has said he’s trying to prepare his young men for a life after football. Seems to me a lot of this portal business is kids chasing money now (of which they have zero clue how to manage it and will blow it) and chasing money later through the NFL (of which a vast majority will never make) and not preparing for life outside of ball. Would be a good research article to write for some person. Figure out to what degree this portal mess has helped or hurt those who get in it.

Reactions: Ole Man Dan

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.