NCAA 08, Madden 08, All-Pro Football 2K8 to run at 60fps on 360. 30fps on PS3

Queasy1

Hall of Fame
Sep 1, 2003
Atlanta, GA
Link

We have confirmed the Xbox 360 versions of Madden NFL 08 (August), All-Pro Football 2K8 (July), and NCAA Football 08 (July) will run at 60 frames per second, whereas the PS3 editions are locked at just 30fps. In the simplest of terms, this means that the 360 versions will run smoother and faster, and you'll have an easier time noticing subtle animations.

While we haven't had the opportunity to see the difference with EA's titles (the publisher hasn't sent us PS3 builds of either), All-Pro Football 2K8 definitely runs better on Xbox 360.

bamapride79

All-SEC
Aug 10, 2003
1UP doesn't have the best reputation.

Were both platforms tested at the same resolution?

I'm thinking maybe not.

Queasy1

Hall of Fame
Sep 1, 2003
Atlanta, GA
either way you wont notice....your eyes only see 30-40 fps anyway. its not like the screen will be tearing or skipping i am sure.
On a HDTV, I've found that I can notice. Especially if something happens to a game running at 30fps that makes it dip momentarily. It is almost completely unnoticeable if a game running at 60fps takes a dip momentarily.

60fps definitely makes for a much smoother viewing experience IMHO whether it be on consoles or PCs.

Last edited:

BEATtutorsee

Hall of Fame
Mar 14, 2006
either way you wont notice....your eyes only see 30-40 fps anyway. its not like the screen will be tearing or skipping i am sure.
Yes you can notice the difference between a game running at 60fps as opposed to one running at 30fps, which is why this is a pretty big deal. The game will run much noticeably smoother and that's a plus in my book.

bamapride79

All-SEC
Aug 10, 2003
I'm not convinced that you can tell the difference between 30fps and 60fps if both frame rates are rock solid.

I'll say this... the 360 may be ahead of the PS3 right now but that will change of the next year or so.

P.S. I own a 360.

BEATtutorsee

Hall of Fame
Mar 14, 2006
I'm not convinced that you can tell the difference between 30fps and 60fps if both frame rates are rock solid.

I'll say this... the 360 may be ahead of the PS3 right now but that will change of the next year or so.

P.S. I own a 360.
I'm certainly not convinced of this. IMO it will take more than a year for the PS3 to catch up to the 360.

bamapride79

All-SEC
Aug 10, 2003
The epic battle between Microsoft and Sony has only begun. :wink:

Ok. On the fps issue.

It appears that 30 fps is ok for movies, TV, etc. Video games are a little different. 60fps is better than 30fps. According to this guy anyway.

Thats almost ten years old though. This topic is still being debated by much more knowledgable guys than myself.

Queasy1

Hall of Fame
Sep 1, 2003
Atlanta, GA
The epic battle between Microsoft and Sony has only begun. :wink:

Ok. On the fps issue.

It appears that 30 fps is ok for movies, TV, etc. Video games are a little different. 60fps is better than 30fps. According to this guy anyway.

Thats almost ten years old though. This topic is still being debated by much more knowledgable guys than myself.
Not just regular TV either but people sometimes say that it is better to watch sports in 720p (60fps) over 1080i (30fps) because the fast action in sports looks smoother at the higher frame rate.

bamapride79

All-SEC
Aug 10, 2003
Not just regular TV either but people sometimes say that it is better to watch sports in 720p (60fps) over 1080i (30fps) because the fast action in sports looks smoother at the higher frame rate.
I'm really not sure how you're arriving at 720p= 60fps or that 1080i= 30fps.

I'm thinking that movies (broadcast not theater) and television is set at 30 fps. I'm almost positive thats the case.

Movies in theaters are played only at 24 fps.

crmsnrevelation

All-American
Nov 8, 2005
Mobile Alabama
frame rate test.... go stick college hoops 2k7 or 2k8 (i cant remember the last one) in your 360... then go and put forza 2 in.... THERE IS A HUGE DIFFERENCE IN 30 and 60. I despise games that run at 30 fps. I doubt it has anything to do with my 20/10 vision though.

Queasy1

Hall of Fame
Sep 1, 2003
Atlanta, GA
I'm really not sure how you're arriving at 720p= 60fps or that 1080i= 30fps.

I'm thinking that movies (broadcast not theater) and television is set at 30 fps. I'm almost positive thats the case.

Movies in theaters are played only at 24 fps.
Wiki
Some broadcasters use 720p50/60 as their primary high-definition format; others use the 1080i standard. While 720p presents a complete 720 line frame to the viewer between 24 to 60 times each second (depending on the format), 1080i presents the picture as 50 or 60 partial 540 line "fields" per second (24 complete 1080-line fields, or "24p" is included in the ATSC standard though) which the human eye or a deinterlacer built into the display device must visually and temporally combine to build a 1080 line picture - in CRT type display. To get all 1080 interlaced lines to appear on the screen at the same time on a progressive high-definition display, the processor within the HD set has to weave together both 540-line segments to form the full-resolution frame. It does so by holding the first field in its memory, receiving the next field, then electronically knitting the two fields together. The combined fields are displayed at once as a complete 1080p frame. The main tradeoff between the two is that 1080i shows more detail than 720p for a stationary shot of a subject at the expense of a lower effective refresh rate and the introduction of interlace artifacts during motion.

In the USA, 720p is used by ABC, Fox Broadcasting Company and ESPN because the smoother image is desirable for fast-action sports telecasts, whereas 1080i is used by CBS, NBC, HBO and Discovery HD due to the crisper picture particularly in non-moving shots.

CrimsonNagus

Hall of Fame
Jun 6, 2007
Montgomery, Alabama, United States
Saw this on another message board and thought it might be useful here. I really enjoyed last year's NCAA on the 360 but, the 30FPS did hurt the game. There was very clear evidence of slow down and stutter (especially when the frame rate dip well below 30), not enough to ruin the game for me but, it was there. This year's game should be very smooth, at least on the 360.

This is for those who're unsure about the difference between Madden 08 & Madden 07 (FPS wise). I hope this won't get deleted since it is related to this years madden in some way...

(Let it load so you can see the normal speed)

60 FPS Top
24 FPS Bottom

Yes 24 is not 30, but the difference between 30 FPS and 24 FPS is very subtle so would it be sae to assume the difference in this years madden will be somewhat similar to this?

Last edited:

jps1983

Hall of Fame
Aug 30, 2006
That's a good demonstration of the smooth graphics. That will help those on the fence of whether to go 360 or PS3. I'm looking forward to this year's game since it sounds like they are completely revamping it to better suit the next gen consoles.

jeremy

Suspended
Nov 22, 2004
Alabama
As a long time PC gamer, there's a significant difference between 30 and 60fps. You can see the difference. Everything looks much smoother.

HammerJammer

Suspended
Sep 4, 2004
that picture demonstration is BS. there are 64 images in that gif. First of all, it cant' be a straight up comparison of 60 fps and 24 fps because 60 because the number of fps don't divide up into each other. secondly, on my computer, it take 2 seconds more or less for the 64 frames to run meaning that the FAST ball is running more like 30 fps and the slow ball running at more like 12fps, but there is additional stutter because there are a couple additional frames where the slow ball cannot translate due to the 60 not being divisible by 24.

i make no comment as to how big a deal the difference is between 360 and ps3

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.