News Article: NCAA Coronavirus panel discussing reality of not having 2020 season (no politics)

Status
Not open for further replies.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
They won't play because the players could either die or suffer from irreversible lung damage.

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
Schools will lose out on a lot of revenue with the NCAA tournament being canceled. I wonder how badly programs will be hurt if there is no football.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Schools will lose out on a lot of revenue with the NCAA tournament being canceled. I wonder how badly programs will be hurt if there is no football.
Football and basketball pay for all sports. But we can do without sports in college. The major programs will be okay. The rest may have to reconsider their priorities.

81usaf92

Hall of Fame
Apr 26, 2008
Sylacauga,AL
Im beginning to believe that unless something changes drastically, then this will be a year in which only professional sports will be played.

Tide&True

All-American
Sep 24, 2004
Murfreesboro, TN
Not even close, but certainly by the middle of July. NFL camps don't start until July.
If you look at the John Hopkins map it appears south of the equator has less cases by far...perhaps that is due to either the warmer climates or because the reporting is not as good in those locations. Hopefully warmer temps will help diminish the virus.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
If you look at the John Hopkins map it appears south of the equator has less cases by far...perhaps that is due to either the warmer climates or because the reporting is not as good in those locations. Hopefully warmer temps will help diminish the virus.
There are a lot of hopes, but our best hope is that the scientists develop antigen tests and live virus tests that we can take at home which can allow us to know whether we are contagious, immune, etc. Short of that, we need a vaccine. Otherwise, even where it is limited, it is killing people.

81usaf92

Hall of Fame
Apr 26, 2008
Sylacauga,AL
I think it's ridiculous they are suggesting this now. Give it some time. Why is it necessary to possibly say they can't play football in September while we are still in March? Overreach? But then consider the source!
The issue with college is the conditioning periods. There are good reasons for spring training, summer workouts, and fall camp. If this thing is still hitting hard by mid may then they are more than likely going to shut it down, and we are at best hoping for a NFL season to watch as far as football is concerned. The thing about college athletics is what 4QBC was hinting at... massive lawsuits.

colbysullivan

Hall of Fame
Dec 12, 2007
Gulf Breeze, FL
This whole thing is just crazy to me. Would all the players just lose a year of eligibility or what? I can’t believe canceling the season is even being discussed right now.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
This whole thing is just crazy to me. Would all the players just lose a year of eligibility or what? I can’t believe canceling the season is even being discussed right now.
I would hope three things:

1 - That they are talking about it now. Because that means that they are not ignoring this thing that is happening in every single country in the world. Because planning is important.

2 - That they do not decide to cancel the season until we are absolutely certain that they cannot play safely.

3 - That is it does become clear that it is not possible to play safely, we cancel the season and give these kids an additional year of eligibility as well as extending the 85 man rosters of teams.

Bamaboy16

Bamanation Citizen
Dec 6, 2019
I pray this isn’t the case. I’ve been so excited for the 2020 season since 2018. I thought “hey if this player and that player come back, and are seniors we will be loaded!” And they did. To wait another year and a half to see Bryce Young. Will Dylan Moses stay again? How does it work? I’m really depressed about this wait.

Reactions: Probius and B1GTide
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

TideFansStore.com