Alabama: NCAA Needs Change, Emmert Doesn’t Have Answers for Congress

kyallie

FB Moderator
Staff member
Jan 17, 2010
Shakopee Minnesota, via Birmingham Alabama
NCAA Needs Change, Emmert Doesn’t Have Answers for Congress

Don't much general news but some changes are needed to modernize CFB. To name a few changes, IMO:
XFL kick off rule for ncaa cfb
XFL PAT
" " "
PRO fb pass interfe- " " "
rence
spot foul rule
" " "
I'm not saying all their rules but the ncaa cfb should institute some xfl and nfl rules imo
This link points out the xfl rules that differ from pfl

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
The odd thing is that the XFL is using NCAA officials, and they look competent. If the XFL takes off with their rules, then maybe college football will become more of a football game than a basketball game again.

Reactions: The Ols and kyallie

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
The issues with the spot foul in college is that 1) there are no reviews for penalties currently and 2) college football is too offense oriented in the first place. It works in the pros because defense matters a whole lot more than it does in college

Reactions: selmaborntidefan

colbysullivan

Hall of Fame
Dec 12, 2007
Gulf Breeze, FL
Major penalties (personal foul, facemask, pass interference, etc) are 15 yard penalties, period. If a guy commits a personal foul 30 yards up the field, it’s still a 15 yard penalty. Why should pass interference get special treatment?

The NFL has way too many goofy rules as it is. I can’t believe players are allowed to fall down with the ball and get back up, it’s ridiculous. Don’t even get me started on the overtime rules. The only NFL-exclusive rule that I agree with is having 2 feet down for a reception instead of just 1.

Reactions: prattalumni

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
Major penalties (personal foul, facemask, pass interference, etc) are 15 yard penalties, period. If a guy commits a personal foul 30 yards up the field, it’s still a 15 yard penalty. Why should pass interference get special treatment?
Because all you have to do when you get beat by a home run play is to tackle the open receiver before the ball gets there instead of giving up a touchdown. I don't understand why more college defenders aren't smart enough to utilize this concept. If the 15 yard rule was a thing in the NFL then you would have an overlong game of people tackling receivers to prevent long bombs. It would be like the Hack a Shaq bull crap that goes on in the NBA.

Last edited:

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
Plus it's too severe of a penalty considering how inconsistent CFB officials are. I could realistically see this type call losing games for a lot of teams.
With how college football is officiated it probably should remain 15 yards in college. But the crazy thing was that the same officials we cuss at in the SEC were officiating great in the XFL. It seems it is a college football problem more than a college ref problem.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
With how college football is officiated it probably should remain 15 yards in college. But the crazy thing was that the same officials we cuss at in the SEC were officiating great in the XFL. It seems it is a college football problem more than a college ref problem.
They've only played one weekend. Give it time.

Reactions: colbysullivan

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
I did not watch the games this past weekend, but I wonder - did they actually call the games better, or were the fans just less emotionally involved? I have noticed that I am more critical of the officials in games in which my teams play than other games. That isn't to say that I am okay with horrible mistakes in those games - just that I notice fewer mistakes.

Reactions: IndyBison

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
I did not watch the games this past weekend, but I wonder - did they actually call the games better, or were the fans just less emotionally involved? I have noticed that I am more critical of the officials in games in which my teams play than other games. That isn't to say that I am okay with horrible mistakes in those games - just that I notice fewer mistakes.
Maybe, but they weren't always reaching for flags or missing too many blatant holding calls. They seemed far more like officials than game deciders.

Reactions: The Ols and B1GTide

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
Apples and oranges.
Taking points off the board by purposely committing a penalty isn't exactly an apples to oranges type deal. If you don't think NFL DBs would purposely commit fouls if it was only a 15 yard flag, then you haven't been watching Bill Belichick and his disciples over the past 2 decades use the rule book to their advantage.

Last edited:
  • Thank You
Reactions: kyallie and B1GTide

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Hack a Shack gives you the opportunity to make your free throws, i.e. points. PI doesn't.
It kinda does. You get a 1st down, 15 yards and another play even if the game ended on the previous play. So you get your shot at points with a PI.

• Thank You
Reactions: The Ols

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
Hack a Shack gives you the opportunity to make your free throws, i.e. points. PI doesn't.
hack a shaq is almost always used on a crappy free throw shooter who is a great guy in the paint. It is basically taking sure points off the board, and making a bad free throw shooter to shoot free throws.

If you made a 15 yard PI in the NFL then just about everyone would be tackling Hill, Thomas, and Hopkins the second they start to get past the defender. More plays equals more chances to make a stop.

kyallie

FB Moderator
Staff member
Jan 17, 2010
Shakopee Minnesota, via Birmingham Alabama
From a piece in SDS
SEC
SDS Mailbag: XFL rules college football should adopt

https://twitter.com/intent/tweet?ur...C+dunk+contest+and+can+Kentucky+win+the+East?

If you haven’t been watching SEC basketball lately, now is the time to tune in. With the season hitting its stretch run, every game is important and full of action.
Take Auburn, for example. Every game the Tigers play is exciting. Their past 3 games (at Arkansas, vs. LSU and vs. Alabama) have all gone to overtime. LSU is also constantly in tight games.
It’s going to be a fun finish between Auburn, LSU and Kentucky for the regular-season title. Then, in Nashville for the SEC Tournament, literally anything could happen. Should be fun!
Anyway, here are your questions for this week’s Mailbag:
@SChinni12:
What 2 things should college football add from the XFL? Also, what 2 ideas are good, but need to be tweaked for the college game?
First and foremost, I absolutely love the transparency when it comes to replay review. We need that in college football as soon as humanly possible.
I also like the idea of only 2 timeouts per half. It keeps the game moving and really forces coaches to use the timeouts smartly. No wasting a timeout with 10 minutes left in the first quarter because you’re about to take a delay of game. I hate that.
As for the ideas that are almost there, but still need to be tweaked, I have a couple of favorites. First, I love that the XFL has 1-, 2- and 3-point conversions. But, I don’t like that you can’t also kick an extra point. If we were bringing it to the college game, I’d love to see options for both.
Like, let’s say you have a great kicker. Give him a normal (17 yards) extra point for 1 point, a 35-yard try for 2 points and a 50-yard kick for 3 points. Then, keep the same rules for players on the field that the XFL has. One point for a 2-yard scrimmage play, 2 points for a 5-yard conversion and 3 points for a 10-yard conversion. Teams like Alabama that can’t seem to find a reliable kicker might go for the offensive play conversion more often.
The other rule I think is almost there, but not quite, is the kickoff rule. I applaud the XFL for trying something different by having players line up much closer to where the kickoff will actually be caught, but I think there has to be a better way still. We’ll see what happens if the XFL returns for a second season.

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.