NCAA Portal Talk

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
It's easy enough for an Alabama fan to judge success only by championships. The program has been in the playoffs, they also were within a touchdown of winning a BCS championship. His efforts have hardly been fruitless. Having said that, never, anywhere at any point in time can I recall saying that Knight can, or Knight will buy Oregon a championship. Please remind me if I have.

What Knight can do though, is drive up the price on certain things. Really, he's already done that. Another poster alluded to the game rooms and such. Due to Knight's donations Oregon became a leader in facilities and in that sort of over the top accommodations. This drove other schools to spend more in that regard as well. So if you want my take on Knight, which you seem to be concerned with, it's simply that he's one of the people that is capable of driving spending up.

Having said that, in the past I said something along the lines of "Knight could pay each Oregon football player a million dollars if he wanted to" which was just using him as an example. Thing is, reportedly that's already the per recruit cost of A&M's class. I know this board has rules on rumors but I am in this case just using this as an example, we really might already be on that level and there's no telling what comes next:
Texas A&M Boosters Spent Unfathomable Amount Of Money To Land No. 1 Recruiting Class

Even if that particular report isn't accurate, it's consistent with what we're trending towards and various reports that show how far things are going. Anyone can look and see that A&M went out and bought a recruiting class, it's obvious.
But again money doesn’t equal championships, nor does it mean great players are coming.

Also Phil Knight isn’t getting into to the paying players game. If he did then he will being the losing money business as well.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
You can't lump Ogre's team in with Chizik's team. LSU had a ton of talent and they always recruit well. If you don't think Texas and A&M will be highly competitive with the NIL as it currently stands you are wrong. A&M finishing #1 and Texas #5 in recruiting after the year they just had is proof that you can pay players a lot of money just to get them to sign and no telling what they get if they become starters, all-conference, all-american.
Buying teams has historically backfired in all of sports. Very few super teams achieve what they are projected to do. Buying individual players sure. The problem is still getting the right players under the right coaches. I would say teams like LSU and Arkansas are probably the most affected by Texas but as a whole you still have a limited amount of slots to fill and there is no guarantee that anyone that fills those slots are worth a damn

Chizik had a good staff as well. He also had good evaluators.

Reactions: Con

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
You won’t convince him, even with statistics. Knight gave Oregon enough money in one year to fully fund the athletic program for over two years. He’s not worried about taking that money with him.

I would think the Nike BoD would keep him from putting too much into Oregon at the expense of their other national brands.
There is a huge difference between super charging an athletic department through donations to market your product and actually paying players and effectively paying against your business interests Phil isn’t going to allow college football to totally go to a different company because he is loading up on players for Oregon and Stanford. Keeping Alabama happy to wear Nike gear is more important to Phil than making Oregon a super power in college athletics.

Last edited:

AlexanderFan

Hall of Fame
Jul 23, 2004
Birmingham
There is a huge difference between super charging an athletic department through donations to market your product and actually paying players and effectively paying against your business interests Phil isn’t going to allow college football to totally go to a different company because he is loading up on players for Oregon and Stanford. Keeping Alabama happy to wear Nike gear is more important to Phil than making Oregon a super power in college athletics.
I said as much in my post. It’s your denial that Knight is willing to pay the money to make Oregon great ( think Vanderbilt level ineptitude to where they are now) that just baffles me. He will NiL his fair share of players to keep Oregon very relevant.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
I said as much in my post. It’s your denial that Knight is willing to pay the money to make Oregon great ( think Vanderbilt level ineptitude to where they are now) that just baffles me. He will NiL his fair share of players to keep Oregon very relevant.
Okay I’ll wait until you have proof that he is willing to let Under Armor to take over college football because he is directly paying for recruits….

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
It's easy enough for an Alabama fan to judge success only by championships. The program has been in the playoffs, they also were within a touchdown of winning a BCS championship. His efforts have hardly been fruitless. Having said that, never, anywhere at any point in time can I recall saying that Knight can, or Knight will buy Oregon a championship. Please remind me if I have.

What Knight can do though, is drive up the price on certain things. Really, he's already done that. Another poster alluded to the game rooms and such. Due to Knight's donations Oregon became a leader in facilities and in that sort of over the top accommodations. This drove other schools to spend more in that regard as well. So if you want my take on Knight, which you seem to be concerned with, it's simply that he's one of the people that is capable of driving spending up.

Having said that, in the past I said something along the lines of "Knight could pay each Oregon football player a million dollars if he wanted to" which was just using him as an example. Thing is, reportedly that's already the per recruit cost of A&M's class. I know this board has rules on rumors but I am in this case just using this as an example, we really might already be on that level and there's no telling what comes next:
Texas A&M Boosters Spent Unfathomable Amount Of Money To Land No. 1 Recruiting Class

Even if that particular report isn't accurate, it's consistent with what we're trending towards and various reports that show how far things are going. Anyone can look and see that A&M went out and bought a recruiting class, it's obvious.
Of course, payments to ADs are no longer deductible, if tied to season tickets. There's a little niche in the tax law which the IRS has not exploited as much as several decades ago. To be deductible, a business expense much be "ordinary and necessary." IOW, a million dollar payment to a kid with no name yet right out of HS is going to strain to be "ordinary and necessary." Of course, the kid has to pay income tax on it, anyway. When it used to be worked hard, it was used against payments designated business expenses which were nothing of the sort - disguised alimony, payments to elderly who could no longer report for work, etc. I can see some of these payments to kids which are really purchase prices to recruit them to a particular school as being vulnerable - when and if the IRS ever has the manpower to pursue it...

JDCrimson

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2006
Texas and Florida also has the advantage of not having a personal income tax. Yall are whistling through the graveyard if dont think certain states will not have an inherent advantage in NIL...

Of course, payments to ADs are no longer deductible. There's a little niche in the tax law which the IRS has not exploited as much as several decades ago. To be deductible, a business expense much be "ordinary and necessary." IOW, a million dollar payment to a kid with no name yet right out of HS is going to strain to be "ordinary and necessary." Of course, the kid has to pay income tax on it, anyway. When it used to be worked hard, it was used against payments designated business expenses which were nothing of the sort - disguised alimony, payments to elderly who could no longer report for work, etc. I can see some of these payments to kids which are really purchase prices to recruit them to a particular school as being vulnerable - when and if the IRS ever has the manpower to pursue it...

Power Eye

All-SEC
Aug 3, 2005
Of course, payments to ADs are no longer deductible. There's a little niche in the tax law which the IRS has not exploited as much as several decades ago. To be deductible, a business expense much be "ordinary and necessary." IOW, a million dollar payment to a kid with no name yet right out of HS is going to strain to be "ordinary and necessary." Of course, the kid has to pay income tax on it, anyway. When it used to be worked hard, it was used against payments designated business expenses which were nothing of the sort - disguised alimony, payments to elderly who could no longer report for work, etc. I can see some of these payments to kids which are really purchase prices to recruit them to a particular school as being vulnerable - when and if the IRS ever has the manpower to pursue it...
Not to turn this thread into a tax discussion, and this is an interesting debate to those in the tax world, but what the IRC, regs and case law have defined as "ordinary and necessary" would probably be surprising to the average person. I think this type of expense would be difficult for the IRS to challenge as anything but a marketing expense, which is 100% deductible.

Reactions: TraskiTideFan

JDCrimson

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2006
Burden is on the taxpayer to prove the endorsement made was reasonable to the value paid. For a lot of these deals the level/frequency of endorsement, if any at all, is not commisserate with the value given to the player. These are sham NIL deals.

The IRS could have a field day auditing these transactions.

Not to turn this thread into a tax discussion, and this is an interesting debate to those in the tax world, but what the IRC, regs and case law have defined as "ordinary and necessary" would probably be surprising to the average person. I think this type of expense would be difficult for the IRS to challenge as anything but a marketing expense, which is 100% deductible.

MILEHIGHTIDE

1st Team
Apr 9, 2011
Everyone please repeat after me, pandora’s box.

Not that getting paid cannot be feasible but there has to be some sort of protocol, rules, and or regulation to some degree. A lot of detailed thought and research. That is if you really are striving for competitiveness and more parity. What about the future? The nil may help some college sports but we are talking potential changes and effects for ncaa football.

Simply look at baseball and the nfl. Baseball is the only major professional sport without a salary cap and they even ended up having to add a luxury tax to better facilitate the self policing of payrolls. This in fact, is the primary reason that the nfl says and serves as the main motivating factor for implementing the salary cap, to avoid the haves and have nots and to encourage and foster an environment of competitiveness. Me personally, I feel that they feared more out of control and excessive payrolls and less profit for the owners, etc.

There are already speculative articles sweeping the internet in regards to the monetary nil price paid by tam for what is currently considered, depending on source, this year’s #1 or #2 recruiting class. Someone’s boosters will spend the money to try to buy a championship no doubt, so others naturally will follow. Trust me, while pay for play or the nil appears to be here to stay, regulation and or changes in some form are coming. RTR

Reactions: seebell

Power Eye

All-SEC
Aug 3, 2005
Burden is on the taxpayer to prove the endorsement made was reasonable to the value paid. For a lot of these deals the level/frequency of endorsement, if any at all, is not commisserate with the value given to the player. These are sham NIL deals.

The IRS could have a field day auditing these transactions.
They might have a field day auditing them, but I don’t think they’d win in tax court. Some of the decisions coming out of the 11th circuit recently have been surprising to say the least.

Evil Crimson Dragon

Hall of Fame
Feb 4, 2018
Marietta, GA
Everyone please repeat after me, pandora’s box.

Not that getting paid cannot be feasible but there has to be some sort of protocol, rules, and or regulation to some degree. A lot of detailed thought and research. That is if you really are striving for competitiveness and more parity. What about the future? The nil may help some college sports but we are talking potential changes and effects for ncaa football.

Simply look at baseball and the nfl. Baseball is the only major professional sport without a salary cap and they even ended up having to add a luxury tax to better facilitate the self policing of payrolls. This in fact, is the primary reason that the nfl says and serves as the main motivating factor for implementing the salary cap, to avoid the haves and have nots and to encourage and foster an environment of competitiveness. Me personally, I feel that they feared more out of control and excessive payrolls and less profit for the owners, etc.

There are already speculative articles sweeping the internet in regards to the monetary nil price paid by tam for what is currently considered, depending on source, this year’s #1 or #2 recruiting class. Someone’s boosters will spend the money to try to buy a championship no doubt, so others naturally will follow. Trust me, while pay for play or the nil appears to be here to stay, regulation and or changes in some form are coming. RTR
I could almost see legislation being passed to cap NIL to a degree

Bama9001

1st Team
Sep 26, 2017
About half the can't-miss players coming out of high school end up being average, or worse. That wasted money will become an issue 3-4 years down the road.

Will the money that's paid to recruits impact the ability for these boosters to buy out coach contracts later on? We'll probably be reading some riches to rags stories about some of the boosters in a couple years.

I wish Logan Young and Tenn Stud had lived to see this day.

Reactions: Con

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La
About half the can't-miss players coming out of high school end up being average, or worse. That wasted money will become an issue 3-4 years down the road.

Will the money that's paid to recruits impact the ability for these boosters to buy out coach contracts later on? We'll probably be reading some riches to rags stories about some of the boosters in a couple years.

I wish Logan Young and Tenn Stud had lived to see this day.
What’s going to be interesting is when these five-star millionaire freshman come in, and they just aren’t ready physically or emotionally to start. And you’ve burned bridges with your current starters, because they aren’t getting the same funds as the phenoms. This is a dollar store chemistry set just waiting for oxygen in College Station. Especially with Jimbo Crablegs running the show.

BamaFlum

Hall of Fame
Dec 11, 2002
S.A., TX, USA
What will be interesting is how coaches and staffs manage these teams of players. They will have groups with little “contracts” and some kids that are making thousands and millions. Keeping a group like that focused and like minded will be a difficult task. Based on personalities and the past, Saban should be fine but someone like Jumbo I’m not so sure.

Reactions: The Ols and Con

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La
What will be interesting is how coaches and staffs manage these teams of players. They will have groups with little “contracts” and some kids that are making thousands and millions. Keeping a group like that focused and like minded will be a difficult task. Based on personalities and the past, Saban should be fine but someone like Jumbo I’m not so sure.
Or how long before one buys their own private dressing room. Or they start buying numbers from each other.

this does have popcorn potential.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.