NCAA Portal Talk

NoNC4Tubs

Hall of Fame
Nov 13, 2010
This is obviously a hot-button topic (NIL) for a majority of the coaches out there.

I have no doubt that if the NZAA doesn't do something about it (which I don't think they can), then politicians are going to get involved...again. :rolleyes:

Reactions: AlexanderFan

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
But politicians do such a great job of making a bad situation worse.
And what about the NCAA? They have a wonderful record of pro-activity and consistent enforcement of well-defined rules.

As much as I hate both options, I think this chaos will be resolved one of two ways:
1. There will be federal legislation, or
2. There will be a CFB players‘ union negotiating all this stuff with owners, aka college presidents.

Personally, I think #2 is more likely, and put the over / under at 2 years.

How do you see it resolved?

• Full Banjeaux!
Reactions: NoNC4Tubs

DzynKingRTR

TideFans Legend
Dec 17, 2003
Vinings, ga., usa
And what about the NCAA? They have a wonderful record of pro-activity and consistent enforcement of well-defined rules.

As much as I hate both options, I think this chaos will be resolved one of two ways:
1. There will be federal legislation, or
2. There will be a CFB players‘ union negotiating all this stuff with owners, aka college presidents.

Personally, I think #2 is more likely, and put the over / under at 2 years.

How do you see it resolved?
I don't see it getting "resolved". I think #2 will be the eventuality and then some will get dissatisfied with that and want more. In the end like many have already said, I will lose interest and just watch the NFL.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
THEY created the situation in the first place... :rolleyes:
Actually, the NCAA caused all of this.

They banned NIL for most of their existence and when challenged, instead of seeing the writing on the wall, were caught with their pants down when the decision was revelaed that they could not limit players' endorsement deals.

Then, instead of doing the hard work of wading through the results of the decision and coming up with a realistic and fair solution, they threw their hands up and walked out of the room.

This entire NIL mess is literally and completely the fault of the NCAA.

NoNC4Tubs

Hall of Fame
Nov 13, 2010
Actually, the NCAA caused all of this.

They banned NIL for most of their existence and when challenged, instead of seeing the writing on the wall, were caught with their pants down when the decision was revelaed that they could not limit players' endorsement deals.

Then, instead of doing the hard work of wading through the results of the decision and coming up with a realistic and fair solution, they threw their hands up and walked out of the room.

This entire NIL mess is literally and completely the fault of the NCAA.
Well, they should share the blame.

It was the politicians that pushed this through in a hurry. IMHO, if it had been implemented a bit more slowly AND the NZAA had stronger leadership it wouldn't have been quite the "Wild West" that we have now. :unsure:

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
Well, they should share the blame.

It was the politicians that pushed this through in a hurry. IMHO, if it had been implemented a bit more slowly AND the NZAA had stronger leadership it wouldn't have been quite the "Wild West" that we have now. :unsure:
Can you explain the part in bold?

It was a court decision, which means it's immediate. Far be it from me to defend politicians, which i generally despise, but outside of CA wanting to make this legal, I don't see how the politicians were involved.

The NCAA made this rule - now rightfully judged as illegal - decades ago and stood by it, punishing both students and schools for years. Then, when challenged, they sat on their collective hands instead of having a plan, even though it became pretty obvious the court was going to rule against them. Then when court ruled as expected, the NCAA threw up their hands and walked away.

How, exactly, is this the fault of politicians?

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
Can you explain the part in bold?

It was a court decision, which means it's immediate. Far be it from me to defend politicians, which i generally despise, but outside of CA wanting to make this legal, I don't see how the politicians were involved.

The NCAA made this rule - now rightfully judged as illegal - decades ago and stood by it, punishing both students and schools for years. Then, when challenged, they sat on their collective hands instead of having a plan, even though it became pretty obvious the court was going to rule against them. Then when court ruled as expected, the NCAA threw up their hands and walked away.

How, exactly, is this the fault of politicians?
The NCAA had years to fix it after Obannan but chose not to. Idk why everyone wants to blame Washington for getting involved when the NCAA knew what was down the line and still wanted to stand defiantly on the tracks. It’s why I wished, and still wish, the SEC would break off from the NCAA.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
The NCAA had years to fix it after Obannan but chose not to. Idk why everyone wants to blame Washington for getting involved when the NCAA knew what was down the line and still wanted to stand defiantly on the tracks. It’s why I wished, and still wish, the SEC would break off from the NCAA.
Point of clarity - when has Washington DC been involved? This was a lawsuit ruling by a federal judge in CA. AFAIK, no one in DC has been involved in this whatsoever.

The NCAA had the chance to handle this and completely dropped the ball - blaming anyone else is ludicrous unless I'm missing something...

Reactions: CrimsonPaul

BamaInMo1

All-American
Oct 27, 2006
Cumming, GA
This will eventually be resolved. Likely in the following ways (imho):
1: We will see the creation of a NFL "minor league" system.
2: 4 of the major conferences will have then had enough of the inept NCAA and break off and do their own thing
3: The NCAA will then implode and the other conferences who didn't break away when the 4 or five big conferences did will be scrambling to start another governing body or bodies.

teamplayer

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2001
cullman, al, usa
I don't see it getting "resolved". I think #2 will be the eventuality and then some will get dissatisfied with that and want more. In the end like many have already said, I will lose interest and just watch the NFL.
I think this will be me except I would put the period after interest and drop the part about watching the nfl.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.