NCAA President Mark Emmert is in over his head

Bama323

All-American
Feb 3, 2005
Folks, there is just simply no other explanation. The NCAA has always been horribly managed, but I would say they are at an all-time low right now. Since Emmert stepped in, there have been three major rulings (if you count the UK basketball player), and the NCAA has failed miserably on all three. Not only that, but every time Emmert speaks out to defend the rulings he just ends up looking even more incompetent and hypocritical.

SPORTSbyBROOKS » Dick Vitale Curbstomps NCAA Prez Into Response

Now back to Mark Emmert’s statement about Kanter to Seth Davis this week:

“The vast majority of people in collegiate basketball knew that this was an issue with Enes Kanter. Kentucky knew it. Everybody who talked with him knew it. So I’m amazed that people are shocked by the fact that he is ineligible.”

Who exactly was the President of the University of Washington when the Huskies received their verbal commitment from Kanter? (And subsequently Kanter’s “very disappointing” de-commit?)

Mark Emmert.

TRU

All-SEC
Oct 3, 2000
Tampa, FL
Geez, how is there problem here? I mean, why scrabble and scratch to gain a position of power like the presidency of the NCAA if once there you cannot use that power to maximize your profit and to settle petty personal scores with people who have crossed you in the past?

Black Warrior

Suspended
Mar 30, 2010
Geez, how is there problem here? I mean, why scrabble and scratch to gain a position of power like the presidency of the NCAA if once there you cannot use that power to maximize your profit and to settle petty personal scores with people who have crossed you in the past?
How right you are. Sure makes Emmert look small and petty does it not?

Redwood Forrest

Hall of Fame
Sep 19, 2003
Boaz, AL USA
I have thought about this for a long time. I know someone says Emmert is really a top-notch administrator and all that, but his hands are tied by the blurred rules he inheritied. I just can't buy that. Of course, I do not know the man, so I could be out in left field.

It seems to me, looking in from the outside, that he is indeed in over his head. The thing which bothers me the most is his cavalier attitude in his press releases. It seems he just waves his magic wand and all the complaining about the NCAA being a joke just vanishes. Poof. There, I have spoken. All is well, you complainers.

I do not know what the techinal term for that kind attitude is but he certainly has it in spades.

GreatDanish

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2005
TN
I have thought about this for a long time. I know someone says Emmert is really a top-notch administrator and all that, but his hands are tied by the blurred rules he inheritied. I just can't buy that. Of course, I do not know the man, so I could be out in left field.

It seems to me, looking in from the outside, that he is indeed in over his head. The thing which bothers me the most is his cavalier attitude in his press releases. It seems he just waves his magic wand and all the complaining about the NCAA being a joke just vanishes. Poof. There, I have spoken. All is well, you complainers.

I do not know what the techinal term for that kind attitude is but he certainly has it in spades.
Based on experiences (with people in similar situations, not Emmert himself), my guess is that Emmert is a great organizational mind, is numbers-savvy, is very intelligent, but is an idiot with PR and communication. That is my guess. That does not mean that he isn't conniving and deceitful. Just that I've known executives with that reputation, but their real flaw was that they did not know how to explain things nor make good "PR" moves.

b2v4ua

All-SEC
Dec 12, 2009
Springville,Al
Sounded like to me Emmert has ben doing some fan board , blog cruising as he has quoted the where theres smoke line that has been used in here quite a few times.

GulfCoastTider

Hall of Fame
My sense is that Emmert is like a very smart, very capable, but still very young and inexperienced QB starting his first game against big time competition. He's got the skills and abilities, but he's lost in the speed of the game.

It's moving too fast for him and until (or unless) he catches up with the rest of the action around him, he's gonna get clobbered.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.