BamaNation

Publisher and Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Apr 9, 1999
Silicon Slopes
TideFans.com

• clock won't stop after 1st downs except in last 2 minutes of each half
  • teams can't call consecutive timeouts
  • penalties at end of 1Q & 3Q carry over to first play of the following quarter. No untimed downs.
Will be voted on by NCAA Playing Rules Oversight Panel on 4/20 but passage is considered a formality

STONECOLDSABAN

All-American
Sep 21, 2007
Mobile, AL

• penalties at end of 1Q & 3Q carry over to first play of the following quarter. No untimed downs.
Will be voted on by NCAA Playing Rules Oversight Panel on 4/20 but passage is considered a formality
It really could drastically affect the game. (Maybe in a good way). Possessions and ball control become really important if first downs don't stop the clock. Trying to go up tempo all the time becomes INCREDABILY risky.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
I like it.

Can we get a rule that TV timeouts can't be longer than 2 minutes?
Thought the same...

I personally don't want to shorten the game, just the amount of commericals/reviews.

I think they should have a clock for reviews (like the new pitcher clock in baseball) and if it's not obvious enough after 1 minute of review let the play stand and get on with it!

tusks_n_raider

Hall of Fame
May 13, 2009
Mobile, AL
Man I don’t like that 1st down rule.

Games will go by too fast and it will really shorten the amount of plays that get run.

Also teams that are based around running the ball can purposely shorten the game against better opponents.

Offensive records are going to be safe for a while if that passes.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC

Games will go by too fast and it will really shorten the amount of plays that get run.

Also teams that are based around running the ball can purposely shorten the game against better opponents.

I agree (don't like shortening games this way) and what we know is going to happen is they'll add a few more commercials!

STONECOLDSABAN

All-American
Sep 21, 2007
Mobile, AL

Oh no i might miss out on the next 61-58 TCU vs Baylor classic. 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

The Ols

Hall of Fame
Jul 8, 2012
Cumming,Ga.
No untimed downs? So on a Hail Mary bring someone and just freaking hammer the QB, right?
Pull the receiver down?
Game over?

RammerJammer14

Hall of Fame
Aug 18, 2007
UA
Thought the same...

I personally don't want to shorten the game, just the amount of commericals/reviews.

I think they should have a clock for reviews (like the new pitcher clock in baseball) and if it's not obvious enough after 1 minute of review let the play stand and get on with it!
This isn’t going to shorten the game. It will just add more time for commercials.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
No untimed downs? So on a Hail Mary bring someone and just freaking hammer the QB, right?
Pull the receiver down?
Game over?
At the end of the half there would be no untimed downs. Penalty would carry over to first play of second half.

At the end of the game there would be an untimed down if a penalty occurred.

• Thank You
Reactions: The Ols

PA Tide Fan

All-American
Dec 11, 2014
Lancaster, PA
I think they should have retained the rule to allow consecutive timeouts. Banning it takes some strategy out of the game such as allowing a team to call a second timeout after seeing the alignment of the opponents players or trying to "ice" the opponents kicker.

The Ols

Hall of Fame
Jul 8, 2012
Cumming,Ga.
At the end of the half there would be no untimed downs. Penalty would carry over to first play of second half.

At the end of the game there would be an untimed down if a penalty occurred.
...penalties at end of 1Q & 3Q carry over to first play of the following quarter. No untimed downs.

This threw me I guess...I didn't read the article. Lazy...

NoNC4Tubs

Hall of Fame
Nov 13, 2010

Huh?

Didn't read the article, but based on the summary by BN above: If you call a timeout, you can't call another one until the opponent has called one? :unsure:

AlexanderFan

Hall of Fame
Jul 23, 2004
Birmingham

Kind of a co-winky-dink that Alabama is moving back towards a power running game?

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.