selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
If the NCAA is so concerned about player safety and length of game I'd sure like to know why they made rule changes over the years to encourage so much passing. This has resulted in a lot of injuries to QB's and WR's after taking a lot of nasty hits, along with ridiculous scores with both teams in the 40's or 50's. If they made a couple of rule changes to make passing less attractive they'd have less injuries, a shorter game and football scores more in line with historical norms.
I agree with your logic.

But you’re assuming the coaches and presidents (who set the rules) are also logical and want the best for the game.

Here’s the deal: If you’re not one of the Top 5-7 teams, you’re scratching and clawing for a chance at the playoff and its associated money. You don’t have the talent to do that, toe to toe, over the course of a season.

So you have to impose rules that favor your overmatched offense to score 6+/- touchdowns a game, and hope your overmatched defense can hold the bad guys to at least one field goal (as opposed to all TDs) before time runs out.

This is about what it always is…money. With a corollary of giving under-talented teams a chance at a big payoff.

Last edited:

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
If the NCAA is so concerned about player safety and length of game I'd sure like to know why they made rule changes over the years to encourage so much passing. This has resulted in a lot of injuries to QB's and WR's after taking a lot of nasty hits, along with ridiculous scores with both teams in the 40's or 50's. If they made a couple of rule changes to make passing less attractive they'd have less injuries, a shorter game and football scores more in line with historical norms.
The NCAA is concerned about player safety as long as it still lines up with "more" revenue. If player safety and money conflict, they're going with money. (y)

HighlandOak

1st Team
Mar 8, 2023
I don't like the new rule re: timeouts. Those 3 timeouts are for use at the coach's discretion at any point during the game. I don't like a rule dictating that a coach can't call a timeout, if he so chooses.

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
It stops them from calling consecutive timeouts that just drag out the game. A good rule.

mdb-tpet

All-SEC
Sep 2, 2004

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
I always thought the biggest trick on icing a kicker is to not ice him because he thinks you probably will. :unsure:
Colorado secured a tie with Nebraska in their 1991 game that started in the dark with a -8 wind chill and got colder by calling all three timeouts after they lined up and then blocking the field goal from a VERY cold kicker.

The - literally - "iced" the kicker.

But I'm sorry, this whole, "Okay, let them line up and then call it just before the snap" is nonsense - THAT needs to be abolished plain and simple. I have less of a problem with someone calling all three than with someone doing it a nanosecond before the snap, the kicker makes it - and then it doesn't count because "timeout."

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
Colorado secured a tie with Nebraska in their 1991 game that started in the dark with a -8 wind chill and got colder by calling all three timeouts after they lined up and then blocking the field goal from a VERY cold kicker.

But I'm sorry, this whole, "Okay, let them line up and then call it just before the snap" is nonsense - THAT needs to be abolished plain and simple. I have less of a problem with someone calling all three than with someone doing it a nanosecond before the snap, the kicker makes it - and then it doesn't count because "timeout."
yeah, but this new rule would allow that ONE time. Just not the second time.

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.

If I was Planetary Commander, I would decree a five second rule for timeouts. If the FG defense team calls time out less that five seconds before the snap, and the ball gets snapped and the kick is good, the kicking team gets to decide whether to accept the play or agree to the timeout. (Like a neutral zone infraction on a "normal" offensive play). Miss the kick, agree to the timeout. Make the kick, keep the play.
That would stop the "ice the kicker at the last nanosecond" thing.
I know it is impractical, but it would please me, and, as Planetary Commander, that is what is most important.

Last edited:

STONECOLDSABAN

All-American
Sep 21, 2007
Mobile, AL
Meh, still no rule to shorten commercial breaks or the frequency of them. I can see wanting to get down to the same number of plays typical NFL games have....but whatever, I hate shortening or taking away from what I love watching.
yeah, i am more interested in how its going to affect the actual game itself and strategy. as far as taken away from the game I am not really that interested in a 6-hour Gary Danielson special. Less is more in my opinion.

I really think this is going to benefit Alabama in the long run especially because it seems like Saban is going back to our smashmouth routes.

Last edited:

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.