News Article: NCAA rules committee exploring changes to limit faked injuries in college football

MILEHIGHTIDE

1st Team
Apr 9, 2011
IOW, a "no fault" rule. It would discourage fakes and also protect the players from being pushed back in, in the case of a real injury...
A possible solution and an already approved protocol for player safety, assessment is the concussion protocol currently being implemented in the nfl. Maybe tweak it a little bit. Let us say, for player safety, if a player goes down and play has to be stopped that player has to go through a modified assessment from a licensed md and or including a neurosurgeon neurological wellness assessment if it involves a potential concussion. That should take at least a few plays and if there are numerous objections in regards to the the need for a full assessment, ie non concussive situation, the player simply has cramps, exhaustion or that is the claim, then the player player in question must sit out the rest of that possession at a minimum. RTR

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
Mountainous Northern California
A possible solution and an already approved protocol for player safety, assessment is the concussion protocol currently being implemented in the nfl. Maybe tweak it a little bit. Let us say, for player safety, if a player goes down and play has to be stopped that player has to go through a modified assessment from a licensed md and or including a neurosurgeon neurological wellness assessment if it involves a potential concussion. That should take at least a few plays and if there are numerous objections in regards to the the need for a full assessment, ie non concussive situation, the player simply has cramps, exhaustion or that is the claim, then the player player in question must sit out the rest of that possession at a minimum. RTR
Earle's solution is elegant in its simplicity.

Reactions: RdunawayTX

Moro Creek

All-SEC
Jan 21, 2014
Equine country
A five minute clock time on the sidelines for an injury that stops play would solve this problem. If a player is really hurt, he should stay out for a few minutes anyway.

AlistarWills

All-American
Jul 26, 2006
The old Self family farm is near there - Berlin...
2nd Offense should be a 15 yard penalty, and the player sets out a full game.
A Country Cousin of mine (Holly Pond, before it became prosperous) used to say... 'That'll Break Em From Sucking Eggs'.
Now there are Million Dollar Homes where they used to live.
Ya’ll hitting close to home. My wife is from Holly Pond and has family in Berlin.

Reactions: TIDE-HSV

pop11011

Scout Team
Jul 6, 2007
2nd Offense should be a 15 yard penalty, and the player sets out a full game.
A Country Cousin of mine (Holly Pond, before it became prosperous) used to say... 'That'll Break Em From Sucking Eggs'.
Now there are Million Dollar Homes where they used to live.
Yea but it is still Holly Pond! :)

Reactions: Ole Man Dan

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
A five minute clock time on the sidelines for an injury that stops play would solve this problem. If a player is really hurt, he should stay out for a few minutes anyway.
Again, complicates it as someone will have to monitor the time.

A simple "you're out until the next change of possession" is cut and dried, and while someone will have to watch it, that could virtually anyone.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
I put the blame on Gus. At Auburn, he taught the rest of College Football how to fake injuries. I'm sure it was going on before Auburn, but Gus was so obvious. It's always gripped my gut...
There was that video from behind the EZ. One player turns to the one next to him and makes a gesture with his hand to remind the other, who promptly crumples to the ground... :)

MILEHIGHTIDE

1st Team
Apr 9, 2011
Earle's solution is elegant in its simplicity.
I hear you but in todays game, especially the benefit and advantage of slowing down a fast pace of play up tempo type team, 3 plays may not be enough to discourage this type of issue. They already have to sit out the next play and that has done nothing to curb it. Current depth and a more regular rotation of schemes and multiple players at different positions probably will not be an issue either with just an additional 2 plays, for most top teams.

If player safety is used, or people are worrying about injuries being fabricated, there will probably have to be more than, “hey he is good to go” by a team trainer. The penalty will have to be a true deterrent to be really effective, just not 100% sure what that should be but we may see soon. Then again, like earl’s idea, I prefer keeping most things simplistic which is why I pondered the out until the next possession type solution. Then again as we are well aware of sometimes common sense and logic can go out the window with rules and the ncaa. RTR

Last edited:

DawgAlum2054

1st Team
Dec 20, 2018
If your helmet comes off you have to sit out for a play. It doesn’t distract from the game and it’s relatively simple

if there is an injury in the field there is no review, the player simply has to sit out for X number of plays or the rest of the series. If the player is actually injured that should happen anyway. If they aren’t actually injured then it’s the point of making them sit out.

teamplayer

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2001
cullman, al, usa
Absolutely impossible to enforce, and I promise you if they try you'll hate it more than the players taking a dive.
Agreed! Just imagine how long the instant replay will last as they guess about a player's intent. Hahaha. Replay already sucks the life out of a game to me. I can't imagine those discussions with their "rules experts". Click.

teamplayer

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2001
cullman, al, usa
I don't think that a rule stating that, if you went down and play was stopped as a result, you have to stay out for, say three plays, would cause major disruption...
That's also true. I just thought about the laughable conversations they could have with replay. If I haven't been clear, I want less replay and to get rid of ridiculous targeting. Carry on.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.