News Article: NCAA rules committee exploring changes to limit faked injuries in college football

• Bama Gymnastics @ NCAA Championship Semi-finals (ESPN2 | TONIGHT - 4/18 @ 8pm CT). We will have a game thread going in the Women's Sports board. Come join us!

BamaNation

Publisher and Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Apr 9, 1999
Silicon Slopes
TideFans.com
Impossible to enforce
The way to enforce it is as mentioned by several others...

If you go down and it requires a trainer to come get check on you, you're out for the rest of that series. It would also motivate guys that have cramps and other minor issues to GET OFF THE FIELD. That would put an end to about 97.3% of this nonsense.

IndyBison

1st Team
Dec 22, 2013
My guess is the best and simplest approach will be all defensive injuries where the game is stopped to address it will force the player to miss the rest of the series. This is the simplest and easiest to enforce. And it would apply at any point in the game and any defensive injury. Trying to determine actual injury is probably something they want to avoid. If the conference determines after the game video evidence shows it was obviously a fake then let them take care of it then. But those instances will be rare. They've been talking about it for years but last year was the first year we heard anything serious action.

The other instances where injuries could be faked: the defense decides to sub in hurry up or late in the dead ball period and it's unlikely the extra player will get off the field before the snap; the play clock is about to expire and the offense likely won't be able to get set and snap the ball; the offense has a big play and either no time outs or don't want to burn a time out to think about their play call. These are probably much less likely to fake injuries, but I'm sure it's been done.

Whatever is done will probably apply to all injuries and not require anyone to determine if there was actually an injury.

CrimsonNagus

Hall of Fame
Jun 6, 2007
Montgomery, Alabama, United States
I don't think that a rule stating that, if you went down and play was stopped as a result, you have to stay out for, say three plays, would cause major disruption...
Should this new rule apply to both defense and offense? I'd hate to be the team that has a QB dinged up during a 2 minute drive and now he's out for 3 plays. But I also don't think it would be fair to make this change only for defenses. It would suck to lose a defensive playmaker, who isn't faking, for 3 plays while offensive playmakers only miss 1. It would be just another rule favoring offenses.

Since I like old school defensive battles, while annoying, I don't really have a huge problem with the fake injuries. The game is tilted to far to the offensive side of things as it is, don't need to tilt it even more.

Instead of punishing defenses doing whatever they can to just catch a breath, how about alter the rules to slow down offenses. Actually, it's already in the rules. The officials are not suppose to make any extra effort to speed up the placement of the ball but, they all do it for HUNH offenses. If the officials would just take the same amount of time as they do for other offenses it would slow things down some. I mean, you even have officials running around and stumbling to get in place. An offense should not be aloud to snap the ball before all officials are set but it happens all the time, which is why they miss some things like false starts and lineman not set.

Last edited:

gman4tide

All-SEC
Nov 21, 2005
Flint Creek
I don't get the big deal? Offense or defense...If you're dinged bad enough to have to go "down"...you're not coming back in just a couple plays. So, have them miss the remainder of the series. If you're dinged and need a breather...run your butt off the field. I know i'm old school, but "back in my day :) " you better have a limb hanging or be unconscious if coach was coming out to check on you.

Reactions: The Ols

BigPoppa52

3rd Team
Oct 25, 2020
Simple. Charge the team a timeout every time a player is injured. After the 3 timeouts are used, a 5-yard delay of game penalty every time. Bet it wouldn't take but once applying that to take care of the problem.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
Simple. Charge the team a timeout every time a player is injured. After the 3 timeouts are used, a 5-yard delay of game penalty every time. Bet it wouldn't take but once applying that to take care of the problem.
So now a team is penalized when someone is legitimately hurt?

Not sure you'de love this when Bama loses someone like Metchie or Williams with one TO left and 30 seconds to drive the field for the winning FG.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
I don't get the big deal? Offense or defense...If you're dinged bad enough to have to go "down"...you're not coming back in just a couple plays. So, have them miss the remainder of the series. If you're dinged and need a breather...run your butt off the field. I know i'm old school, but "back in my day :) " you better have a limb hanging or be unconscious if coach was coming out to check on you.
Agree, if a player "goes down" on the field, requiring play to be stopped then the player has to sit out the remainder of that series. That would promote safety and have teams think twice about "faking" an injury to stop play. If a player is able to get off the field on his own, then he can return to play in the same series.

CB4

Hall of Fame
Aug 8, 2011
Birmingham, AL
Agree, if a player "goes down" on the field, requiring play to be stopped then the player has to sit out the remainder of that series. That would promote safety and have teams think twice about "faking" an injury to stop play. If a player is able to get off the field on his own, then he can return to play in the same series.
Players are instructed on defense these days to “stay down” regardless of the seriousness of the injury. More and more we have seen extended “stoppages in play” because someone tweaks a hamstring or catches a cramp or rolls an ankle when years ago these players would have made it over to the sideline
No one suggests a seriously injured player try to drag themselves off the field. However, some of these stoppages where a player lays on the field for 10 minutes, drinking fluids while a trainer rubs out a cramp when the player was able to limp to the sideline is a little ridiculous.
1643752494484.gif

Last edited:

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
3 teams in the SEC do this more than every other team in college football - LSU, aTm and Auburn. You guys get it because you see it every time you play these guys. But it really does not happen much outside of the SEC. Not saying it doesn't happen at all, but not like those cheating teams do it. They don't even pretend.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
3 teams in the SEC do this more than every other team in college football - LSU, aTm and Auburn. You guys get it because you see it every time you play these guys. But it really does not happen much outside of the SEC. Not saying it doesn't happen at all, but not like those cheating teams do it. They don't even pretend.
Ole Miss makes them all look like amateurs.

Not sure Auburn does this anymore now that Gus is gone. Don't watch them enough to notice.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Ole Miss makes them all look like amateurs.

Not sure Auburn does this anymore now that Gus is gone. Don't watch them enough to notice.
I don't think ols miss does any more under Kiffin, but maybe. They did it constantly under Freeze.

I think you are right about Auburn, and aTm didn't do it until Jimbo arrived.

It is clearly directed by the head coaches.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.