News Article: NCAA rules committee exploring changes to limit faked injuries in college football

BigPoppa52

3rd Team
Oct 25, 2020
So now a team is penalized when someone is legitimately hurt?

Not sure you'de love this when Bama loses someone like Metchie or Williams with one TO left and 30 seconds to drive the field for the winning FG.
So then you are saying that Coach Saban instructs his players to fake injuries just like the other few teams we know that like to play dirty? Do you really believe he would allow his team to be put in the situation you describe? And do you also believe that after 1 or 2 enforcements of such draconian penalties, the instances for which they should be implemented, wouldn't cease? I don't believe that you do.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
3 teams in the SEC do this more than every other team in college football - LSU, aTm and Auburn. You guys get it because you see it every time you play these guys. But it really does not happen much outside of the SEC. Not saying it doesn't happen at all, but not like those cheating teams do it. They don't even pretend.
iirc, the uga dude that blocked our fg attempt went down with an "injury" a couple of plays prior to that as we were going up tempo

Reactions: AlexanderFan

Isaiah 63:1

All-American
Dec 8, 2005
Probably at 35k or in an airport somewhere
So then you are saying that Coach Saban instructs his players to fake injuries just like the other few teams we know that like to play dirty? Do you really believe he would allow his team to be put in the situation you describe? And do you also believe that after 1 or 2 enforcements of such draconian penalties, the instances for which they should be implemented, wouldn't cease? I don't believe that you do.
I'd love to see your old reading comprehension scores...

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
I've never once suggested Saban did this - I'm responding to your post where you said, "Simple. Charge the team a timeout every time a player is injured. After the 3 timeouts are used, a 5-yard delay of game penalty every time."

That blade will cut both ways.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
I've never once suggested Saban did this - I'm responding to your post where you said, "Simple. Charge the team a timeout every time a player is injured. After the 3 timeouts are used, a 5-yard delay of game penalty every time."

That blade will cut both ways.
Indeed it will, with only 3 TOs per half. I like my solution - sit out three plays - far better...

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
3 teams in the SEC do this more than every other team in college football - LSU, aTm and Auburn. You guys get it because you see it every time you play these guys. But it really does not happen much outside of the SEC. Not saying it doesn't happen at all, but not like those cheating teams do it. They don't even pretend.
I'm glad to know this is not just MY perception of things because I'm sure to be dismissed as an Alabama partisan.

Auburn USED to be terrible with it. What they STILL get away with, though, is committing DPI on pretty much every play, taking 2 penalties early, and realizing the refs aren't going to call it after that unless they tackle the guy before the ball gets there. If they have to get flagged for 600 yards and slow the game down, so be it. They shouldn't get rewarded with the ability to commit fouls just because the fans didn't pay to see that.

That said - they're not as bad with Malzahn gone, either, on the fake injuries.

ATM was the absolute worst and most obvious last year.

I watched more football last year than I had in 7 years, and I honestly don't recall seeing it outside the SEC, either. I'm sure it happened, but it wasn't so flagrant.

Reactions: dtgreg

Marg

1st Team
Mar 24, 2003
Somewhere, AL
If a player is injured, they should be turned over to the medical staff. Put in place certain evaluations and an established "observation time" before being allowed back in the game. Nowadays, I think I'd trust the medical staffs more than I used to 20 years ago. The time off field could be a reviewable issue by the conference and schools punished if the player comes back too early. Not only would this stop the fakes, but it would also promote the proper care and attention to actual injuries by not letting a player back into the game too quickly.

Reactions: dtgreg

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
If a player is injured, they should be turned over to the medical staff. Put in place certain evaluations and an established "observation time" before being allowed back in the game. Nowadays, I think I'd trust the medical staffs more than I used to 20 years ago. The time off field could be a reviewable issue by the conference and schools punished if the player comes back too early. Not only would this stop the fakes, but it would also promote the proper care and attention to actual injuries by not letting a player back into the game too quickly.
Then, instead of all that rigamarole, why not my suggestion of three plays out, minimum. That's time enough to examine him and hold him out further, if indicated. It's also long enough to make it bite a possession. About the only weakness I see is that a coach sends out a scrub to get "hurt"...

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
Easiest fix… go with a running clock, have a two minute warning, and it costs you a time out if you do it under two minutes at the end of a half. The NFL doesn’t have near as much flopping or video game scores based on how the clock is utilized.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
You also can't go as fast in the NFL.
But at the same time you have to do something before defense is really irrelevant otherwise faking injuries is going to be a way to stop video game offenses.

Something has to be corrected on the offensive side of the ball rule wise before we really start to continue to penalize the defense. Otherwise people are going to find loopholes to anything you do.

Reactions: crimsonaudio

dtgreg

All-American
Jul 24, 2000
Tuscaloosa
www.electricmonkeywrench.com
I'm glad to know this is not just MY perception of things because I'm sure to be dismissed as an Alabama partisan.

Auburn USED to be terrible with it. What they STILL get away with, though, is committing DPI on pretty much every play, taking 2 penalties early, and realizing the refs aren't going to call it after that unless they tackle the guy before the ball gets there. If they have to get flagged for 600 yards and slow the game down, so be it. They shouldn't get rewarded with the ability to commit fouls just because the fans didn't pay to see that.

That said - they're not as bad with Malzahn gone, either, on the fake injuries.

ATM was the absolute worst and most obvious last year.

I watched more football last year than I had in 7 years, and I honestly don't recall seeing it outside the SEC, either. I'm sure it happened, but it wasn't so flagrant.
It's a shame that you have to be old as me to know how to Ref the option, apparently.

CrimsonNagus

Hall of Fame
Jun 6, 2007
Montgomery, Alabama, United States
You also can't go as fast in the NFL.
Ding, ding, ding. #1 problem right here. Everyone is blaming the defense but, the problems are all on the offensive side of the ball. Force them to slow down and this problem disappears.

But no, they will create some rule requiring defensive players to miss more plays. A teams playmaker will get dinged and now miss more time tipping the scale even more to the offense. At some point the NCAA is just going to make fielding a defense against the rules.

BamaFlum

Hall of Fame
Dec 11, 2002
S.A., TX, USA
Ding, ding, ding. #1 problem right here. Everyone is blaming the defense but, the problems are all on the offensive side of the ball. Force them to slow down and this problem disappears.

But no, they will create some rule requiring defensive players to miss more plays. A teams playmaker will get dinged and now miss more time tipping the scale even more to the offense. At some point the NCAA is just going to make fielding a defense against the rules.
Well, if it’s a real injury, the player would most likely be sitting out longer anyway. I like the sitting out longer to be evaluated. Maybe three snaps minimum or until the change of possession.

CrimsonNagus

Hall of Fame
Jun 6, 2007
Montgomery, Alabama, United States
Well, if it’s a real injury, the player would most likely be sitting out longer anyway. I like the sitting out longer to be evaluated. Maybe three snaps minimum or until the change of possession.
I disagree with this and I don't see anyone complaining about a star QB going out for 1 play and returning. Sometimes a hit can sting and feel worse then it is but, medical staff quickly determines there is no real concern and the player goes back in. Just because a player re-enters the game doesn't mean the pain is gone.

Again, reel in the mickey mouse offenses and this all goes away.

The only way I would be okay with a rule requiring a player to miss more plays is if it is applied to both the defense and offense equally. If it is a defense only rule then it is just another tip of the scale to the offense.

Marg

1st Team
Mar 24, 2003
Somewhere, AL
Then, instead of all that rigamarole, why not my suggestion of three plays out, minimum. That's time enough to examine him and hold him out further, if indicated. It's also long enough to make it bite a possession. About the only weakness I see is that a coach sends out a scrub to get "hurt"...
Perception. Considering the lawsuits that are coming out over different topics, this approach could protect the sport on injury claims. Both keep the player out for a predetermined amount of time when injured on the field. This approach makes it about the player's safety and well-being instead of solely how the game itself is impacted. They accomplish the same goal, but this would afford a layer of protection in the event someone files regarding lack of regard for player health.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Perception. Considering the lawsuits that are coming out over different topics, this approach could protect the sport on injury claims. Both keep the player out for a predetermined amount of time when injured on the field. This approach makes it about the player's safety and well-being instead of solely how the game itself is impacted. They accomplish the same goal, but this would afford a layer of protection in the event someone files regarding lack of regard for player health.
The sports injury lawsuits have been tried before and they went nowhere. That's the reason the staff won't make a judgment. They defer to the medical staff on the sideline. Lawsuits are a non-issue...

Marg

1st Team
Mar 24, 2003
Somewhere, AL
The sports injury lawsuits have been tried before and they went nowhere. That's the reason the staff won't make a judgment. They defer to the medical staff on the sideline. Lawsuits are a non-issue...
You're right. However, there are now fewer kids joining Pee Wee and other clubs than in the past and a lot of that is due to injury concerns. Considering both solutions try to achieve the same result of reducing the number of fictional injuries impacting game play, there's no harm in putting a positive spin on it. There may not be direct liability for injuries, but basing decisions framed within the parameters of player safety as opposed to just the outcome of the game would put the schools, conferences, etc in a positive light.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.