NCAA sets timetable for dramatic overhaul of how it governs collegiate athletics

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
I want a governing body that does not make its focus creating parity through the creation of rules which are really only meant to penalize established programs for the advantages that they have built over a century of hard work.
This - along with the maddeningly inconsistent punitive approach to 'violations' - is why I want the NCAA to burn to the ground.

Bama_N_Va

1st Team
Aug 16, 2017
If "as we know it" refers to the way the NCAA has played with the rules over the last 40 years, I'm likely okay with that.
It will be semi-pro or something else in 20 years. Doubt amateur status survives. I could see a highly touted 'freshman' that could 'start' at QB, RB, or WR for example, having $$$Ms banked in NIL even before setting one foot on campus. How are coaches going to approach team building when it could very well become 'Whats going to help me get to $10M or $15M in NILs"? This could be the next round of opt-outs for a lot of stuff.

Guess we well have to wait and see.

Reactions: Crimson1967

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
My hope (and belief) is that once the rounds of expansion occur and the trivial teams are ejected from the 'Premier-FBS' the leaders of those programs will form their own governance (just as they did with the NCAA), one whose focus is entirely on the welfare and health of the real football (athletic) programs.
The NCAA dug their own grave with really stupid rulings like these:
When Kentucky won a national championship in basketball under Tubby, someone snapped a photo of three senior players hugging at center court and made T-shirts with the photo for sale in UK's bookstore to celebrate the national championship. In the background of the photo, the back of the head of a Wildcat freshman player appeared. He was not the subject of the photo. It was the back of his head. The NCAA declared that if UK sold one of those t-shirts, that player would lose his eligibility. That's "taking care of student athletes."
Next, Alabama got in trouble in 1986 for the team attending the funeral of teammate Willie Ryles. That was a "competitive advantage," apparently. Competitive advantage with whom? The dead? It is a team, for Pete's sake, and going to a teammate's funeral is simply the decent thing to do. Screw the NCAA. They have no soul.
I hope to dance on the metaphorical grave of that organization. They richly deserve any horrible thing that happens to them.

Last edited:
Sep 30, 2002
Knoxville, TN USA
Reactions: BamaInBham

Redwood Forrest

Hall of Fame
Sep 19, 2003
Boaz, AL USA
When Kentucky won a national championship in basketball under Tubby, someone snapped a photo of three senior players hugging at center court and made T-shirts with the photo for sale in UK's bookstore to celebrate the national championship. In the background of the photo, the back of the head of a Wildcat freshman player appeared. He was not the subject of the photo. It was the back of his head. The NCAA declared that if UK sold one of those t-shirts, that player would lose his eligibility. That's "taking care of student athletes."
Next, Alabama got in trouble in 1986 for the team attending the funeral of teammate Willie Ryles. That was a "competitive advantage," apparently. Competitive advantage with whom? The dead? It is a team, for Pete's sake, and going to a teammate's funeral is simply the decent thing to do. Screw the NCAA. They have no soul.
I hope to dance on the metaphorical grave of that organization. They richly deserve any horrible thing that happens to them.
I have always thought, simple minded as it is, that when the infraction committee meets it should be team John Doe has been accused of doing this and this. Does it have merit or is it inconsequential? Just hearing the name of the Team can influence the panel.

LeBron47

1st Team
Aug 30, 2007
We had College football before the obtrusive, arbitrary, and “Cam didn’t know” NCAA came on board and we will have it after. If they had been forced to make consistent rulings and abide by their own they could have been a good thing, however like most … power corrupts and absolute power …

Reactions: TideEngineer08

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
We had College football before the obtrusive, arbitrary, and “Cam didn’t know” NCAA came on board and we will have it after. If they had been forced to make consistent rulings and abide by their own they could have been a good thing, however like most … power corrupts and absolute power …
My biggest complaint, aside from the arbitrary and capricious defining and enforcing of the rules, is the NCAA's push to 'spread the wealth', which is the main reason why the FBS has had ~130 teams for many years now. Maybe (MAYBE) half of those need to be on the same footing as the real football schools, but the NCAA continued to make rules that allowed South Popcorn State and North Cupcake Community College able to have a chance to grab some of the TV cash that exists because of the Alabamas, Ohio States, LSUs, etc of this world.

JDCrimson

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2006
They literally could make a better organization by going back reviewing their enforcement actions and punish over the last 40 years and ask them did we really need to action on this...

The NCAA will survive but only for the small schools going forward.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
Fair point on the NCAA's lack of governance. If pressed, I'd say it started with the Cam Newton and UNC-CH abdications.

I agree that something will eventually replace the NCAA, and that it won't include the small schools. Or at least, it won't include them as equal partners with influence over policies and procedures equal to the schools with bigger athletic programs.

But now that the NCAA has thrown up it hands and abandoned all pretense of governance, there's nobody even trying to do that job, not even a paper tiger.

Maybe Sankey is working behind the scenes to set up that replacement. Right now, he's the only conference commissioner who could. Pac-12 has a rookie with a marketing background. Phillips of the ACC hasn't been on the job for a year yet. Bowlsby in the Big-12 is clearly emasculated, and Warren of the BIG is equally clearly out of his depth, having badly botched the response to COVID.

What I'm concerned about is the interim. Right now, we don't have any governance. 81usa92 would say that we haven't really had any for 10 years, and it's hard to argue against his point.

And no, I don't think the college presidents think anarchy is the best way to move forward. But I do think they could very well inadvertently allow it to blossom by dithering around a woke solution to the problem -- witness the BIG's COVID fiasco.
Well when the FBI has to get involved to give you the power to enforce sanctions then you really don’t have any power.

Just take the Ole Miss case. We have a few on here that think that is a sign of life of the NCAA and that they brought justice to Ole Miss. Well when you consider that it took a recruit that ended up at Mississippi St, a butt dial, and a bunch of questionable allegations that led to OLE MISS self imposing their own penalties then you start to wonder if anything would’ve ever happened to Ole Miss had they not uncovered Hugh’s phone records. People think that Ole Miss was a Treadwell, Tunsil, and Nkemdiche case…. No it was a Leo Lewis case.

• Thank You
Reactions: TideEngineer08

DzynKingRTR

TideFans Legend
Dec 17, 2003
Vinings, ga., usa
Well when the FBI has to get involved to give you the power to enforce sanctions then you really don’t have any power.

Just take the Ole Miss case. We have a few on here that think that is a sign of life of the NCAA and that they brought justice to Ole Miss. Well when you consider that it took a recruit that ended up at Mississippi St, a butt dial, and a bunch of questionable allegations that led to OLE MISS self imposing their own penalties then you start to wonder if anything would’ve ever happened to Ole Miss had they not uncovered Hugh’s phone records. People think that Ole Miss was a Treadwell, Tunsil, and Nkemdiche case…. No it was a Leo Lewis case.
How has State managed come away unscathed twice? They were in on the $Cam sweepstakes and this Ole Miss case, but nothing happened to them. Not even an investigation of any kind.

• Thank You
Reactions: 81usaf92

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.