News Article: NCAA to review NIL policies...

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
It will likely take a decade to sort out this mess, so cash in while you can (Jimbo)

Reactions: The Ols

AlexanderFan

Hall of Fame
Jul 23, 2004
Birmingham
Most likely any previous deals would be grandfathered in, so if change does occur expect these deals to be exempt.

I seriously wonder what exactly they think they can change in regards to these deals?

BigPoppa52

3rd Team
Oct 25, 2020
Nothing more than the NCAA trying to insist that they're still relevant and are in control of all thing in college athletics. IMHO, their 15 minutes is long expired much like their utility. The courts will be the ultimate arbitrator, so this is the time for the major conferences to declare their independence from this dinosaur institution and begin to govern themselves.

Reactions: bamamoss2

CB4

Hall of Fame
Aug 8, 2011
Birmingham, AL
Hardly anything. The courts have tied their hands. The attempt is a joke...
Exactly. The NCAA “fiddled while Rome burned” on this. But then again, what’s new about that? It was pretty much as plain as the nose on your face where this was going. They knew there was little to be done to prevent it. But they possibly could have put together a way to monitor it or add consistency across member schools and conferences.

Then you also have the transfer portal open year round without penalty that complicates matters further.

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
Then you also have the transfer portal open year round without penalty that complicates matters further.
The transfer portal is probably one of the few areas where the NCAA actually can do something (until that goes to court, heh). All they can really do though is just limit it to one time use, which would stop some stuff but won't change much.

The current system in place just fits so poorly with NIL that it's hard to even imagine something the NCAA could get away with doing that would really change anything back. This was a mess from the instant California mandated NIL and then the court ruling (which really wasn't as broad as some seem to think) really backed off what would have been any attempts to keep things more orderly.

Honestly, there's no fixing this. It is what it is and we just have to keep watching it play out. Anyone could see this would happen, which makes the NCAA's way too late reaction so absurd.

Part of what was so stupid about how the NCAA acted is they went ahead with NIL when the California law didn't even go into affect until 2023. So they had a couple years to try to put some regulations in place, to negotiate with the California legislator, with schools, conferences etc... instead they just opened Pandora's Box and now they want to figure out how to control what's coming out. Too late.

Countrytider2

1st Team
Oct 25, 2021
It’s crazy to me, how it went from student athletes not even being allowed to have a job….to being able to become a millionaire now. Like was there no middle ground??? 😏

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
It’s crazy to me, how it went from student athletes not even being allowed to have a job….to being able to become a millionaire now. Like was there no middle ground??? 😏
There really couldn't be, because you cannot legally restrict how much a person can earn in America. It was all or nothing in that regard. But there could have been guardrails to ensure that schools had to be completely uninvolved and to ensure that things like scholarships could not be granted by outside institutions in lieu of actual payments.

IMO, for every NIL deal there should be a requirement that the paying entity be able to demonstrate the value to that entity in economic terms for the payment. Not saying that we should limit the payment based on value, but there has to be some value demonstrated or the deal is proven to be pay for play, which is not permitted.

There are ways to manage this, but it would take someone smarter than me to come up with it, and it would take some agreement from the players to accept the limits. The only way forward may involve a players' representative body.

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
IMO, for every NIL deal there should be a requirement that the paying entity be able to demonstrate the value to that entity in economic terms for the payment. Not saying that we should limit the payment based on value, but there has to be some value demonstrated or the deal is proven to be pay for play, which is not permitted.
I'll give my entirely unsolicited take on this.

If they were going to go ahead with NIL, I think the only way they'd ever have any way to regulate or control it at all would be via a clearing house. I don't think that's really feasible now because the current system is already in place. However, if the initial plan was a clearing house run at for instance the conference level these deals could be vetted in such a way to guarantee they are legitimate (I am certain there will be future litigation over some shady NIL deals going on right now) and within what ever parameters that had been set. If that was the only allowed way to have an NIL deal it could have worked, but now that these boosters have direct player access it seems futile to try implement oversight.

To me this is the NCAA right now:
surprise-girl.gif

Now, where you and I differ the most is I think you could have tried to preserve some semblance of the amateur/current system by doing some NIL stuff at the school, conference and even NCAA level without opening Pandora's Box at all. If you have these level NIL deals you could have things we don't even have right now, for instance NCAA sports titles in video games, which would pay out in similar fashion to the lawsuit. These broader deals wouldn't produce insane amounts of money, but they would give athletes enough cash that they'd be be pretty comfortable.

Then I think you could expand the existing fund you and I have discussed which is severely limited which does things like pay for additional insurance for players. If you broadened the scope of the fund and opened it up to funds from for instance merchandising deals involving players (so you could get an authentic Bryce Young jersey for example) and that could open up more things to the popular players as well, guaranteeing their needs are fully met.

While I am not sure they could force people to go through a clearing house, I would argue at this point the NIL at the NCAA/conference/school level probably needs to happen. It's dumb that we can have players getting paid 6, even 7 figures to go to a school but we can't even have a NCAA football game because it requires paying players. Furthermore, there's been a long existing gray market that deal in things like player jerseys and that money doesn't go to the players or the university meanwhile fans get bootleg gear to wear.

87BamaFan

BamaNation Citizen
Oct 30, 2008
From my point of view, the NIL is bad for college football. The one thing that I enjoyed most about watching is that the players were playing for the passion of the game. The players that wanted to play in the NFL would go to the school that they thought would best prepare them for the NFL. With the NIL, it seems that many of these athletes will go to the school where the boosters will offer them the biggest gifts. I'm not sure how it will effect the play of the game, but on the surface, it looks like it will do more harm than good. Again, this is just my opinion.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
I'll give my entirely unsolicited take on this.

If they were going to go ahead with NIL, I think the only way they'd ever have any way to regulate or control it at all would be via a clearing house. I don't think that's really feasible now because the current system is already in place. However, if the initial plan was a clearing house run at for instance the conference level these deals could be vetted in such a way to guarantee they are legitimate (I am certain there will be future litigation over some shady NIL deals going on right now) and within what ever parameters that had been set. If that was the only allowed way to have an NIL deal it could have worked, but now that these boosters have direct player access it seems futile to try implement oversight.

To me this is the NCAA right now:
View attachment 23007

Now, where you and I differ the most is I think you could have tried to preserve some semblance of the amateur/current system by doing some NIL stuff at the school, conference and even NCAA level without opening Pandora's Box at all. If you have these level NIL deals you could have things we don't even have right now, for instance NCAA sports titles in video games, which would pay out in similar fashion to the lawsuit. These broader deals wouldn't produce insane amounts of money, but they would give athletes enough cash that they'd be be pretty comfortable.

Then I think you could expand the existing fund you and I have discussed which is severely limited which does things like pay for additional insurance for players. If you broadened the scope of the fund and opened it up to funds from for instance merchandising deals involving players (so you could get an authentic Bryce Young jersey for example) and that could open up more things to the popular players as well, guaranteeing their needs are fully met.

While I am not sure they could force people to go through a clearing house, I would argue at this point the NIL at the NCAA/conference/school level probably needs to happen. It's dumb that we can have players getting paid 6, even 7 figures to go to a school but we can't even have a NCAA football game because it requires paying players. Furthermore, there's been a long existing gray market that deal in things like player jerseys and that money doesn't go to the players or the university meanwhile fans get bootleg gear to wear.
I like the clearinghouse idea, and it could still work if the players got behind it. And we wouldn't have to change anything else - just have every deal vetted before it goes into effect.

Reactions: NoNC4Tubs

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL
Most likely any previous deals would be grandfathered in, so if change does occur expect these deals to be exempt.

I seriously wonder what exactly they think they can change in regards to these deals?
The main change if it can be done is the $ to sign part of it which we all know A&M and Texas did to the extreme.

Reactions: AlexanderFan

Joefus

1st Team
Jan 3, 2021
I don’t really see what they can do. Any kind of capping will end in a lawsuit and when it comes to nil how could you possibly determine if it’s legitimate when the very idea isnt policeable. You can load up on one class but the idea you could buy a number 1 class every year isn’t reality. These kids want to play and no matter how much you pay there’s still only 11 spots each way. Even if you did you’d lose a third of that class the next spring anyway. Personally I hope these kids bleed em dry.

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La
What about a moonlighting clause ?

I know that many companies have this. If you are an employee you are not allowed to work in a similar field at the same time without permission.

Reactions: NoNC4Tubs

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
I'm afraid any framework that is suggested to be put in place to bring some form of order to the clownshow will only result in lawsuits. I think the genie is officially out of the bottle and no one knows what to do with it because it has and will bring so many things into play that wasn't carefully thought out before popping the top.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.