Need some HVAC help - condensate pump

CrimsonProf

Hall of Fame
Dec 30, 2006
Birmingham, Alabama
I've got a condensate pump that's overflowing like crazy - it runs when emptied but it's not pumping anything out. I've cleaned it out but I'm wondering if there's something wrong with the drain tube. The tube runs up from the up about six feet and then across the ceiling of my basement and then outside. I can spot some water at a few spots where the tube lays flat below the ceiling but that water doesn't appear to be moving. There does appear to be a film of some sort in spots within the tube, but I can't see any water being pumped into the tube even at the source along the condensate pump.

Grateful for any help.

hollisx4

1st Team
Aug 29, 2005
Columbiana, AL.
My drain tube will clog up every now and again if I don't pour about a cup of bleach into it every month or so.

You might try that if you have a drain tube clog.

Last edited:

AUDub

Hall of Fame
Dec 4, 2013
Give me ambiguity or give me something else.
My drain tube will clog up every now and again if I don't pour about a cup of bleach into it.

You might try that if you have a drain tube clog.
My thoughts too. Make sure it's not obstructed outside your home. If not, disconnect from the pump and vacuum it out with a shop vac. Either of those don't work, replace your condensate pump. It's an easy job any DIYer can handle.

CrimsonProf

Hall of Fame
Dec 30, 2006
Birmingham, Alabama
Just looked at the check valve and there was an obstruction - removed and reconnected - we'll see what happens.

Now I've got to fix the dehumidifier and the fuel lines on the weedeater.

CrimsonProf

Hall of Fame
Dec 30, 2006
Birmingham, Alabama
Doesn't look like there's been any movement in the last hour. I'll check it tomorrow.

If the problem is the drain tube - what can I do about that? Replace the tube? Will pouring bleach into the pump still help?

Also - thoughts on a dehumidifier that turns on but won't blow?

And how in the world do I get those fuel line tubes into the weedeater?

Tide1986

Suspended
Nov 22, 2008
Birmingham, AL
Doesn't look like there's been any movement in the last hour. I'll check it tomorrow.

If the problem is the drain tube - what can I do about that? Replace the tube? Will pouring bleach into the pump still help?

Use a shop vac to either blow or suck air through the line?

AUDub

Hall of Fame
Dec 4, 2013
Just looked at the check valve and there was an obstruction - removed and reconnected - we'll see what happens.
You can test the pump by simply running it without the check valve in place. If you get a nice high spray, talking multiple feet, you'll know the pump is good. You can replace the check valve. Thing is, I've had two pumps fail before a year after doing so, and I would recommend going ahead and replacing the pump if the valve is bad. Cheap and easy to do. Faster too, as you can get a pump at Home Depot, Lowe's or even Wal-Mart tonight. You will probably have to order the valve and wait for it to be delivered.

As for the line, if you find it's clogged, I'd try sucking it out with the vac before trying anything else. Never seen a drain line go bad beyond an easily cleared clog. If you feel the need to replace it, it's just 3/8 nylon food tubing. Get a 3/8 male-male connector on the cheap, connect the new to the old, electrical tape them together just in case, then go outside and pull the old tubing out and the end of the new tube with it. Clip it, connect it to the pump, tape it back to your AC lines and you're done.

day-day

Hall of Fame
Jan 2, 2005
Bartlett, TN (Memphis area)

I cut the end of the tubes at an angle making them pointed. Forced the lines into the holes on the fuel tank and pushed them down until there was enough of the tube to secure from inside the tank using long needle-nose pliers reaching in through the opening for the fuel cap. I have some pliers used for fishing that are maybe 9 inches long.

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
New Smyrna Beach, Florida
I cut the end of the tubes at an angle making them pointed. Forced the lines into the holes on the fuel tank and pushed them down until there was enough of the tube to secure from inside the tank using long needle-nose pliers reaching in through the opening for the fuel cap. I have some pliers used for fishing that are maybe 9 inches long.

That's VERY good advice. I've also used a small jeweler's type flat-headed screw driver to push a line through the grommet.

What's harder than pushing the lines through the grommet IMHO, is pushing the grommet itself into the fuel tank hole so it seats properly. I use a small dab of Vasoline but it still involves a lot of wrestling around and manipulating to get that sucker seated properly.

========

As for your drain tube.....mine attaches to my air-handler housing with a few PVC pieces - couple elbows and short section of 1/2" pipe. It's not glued...so I detach it and simply blow through it with my mouth and lungs...and usually I can feel some gunk getting blown out the other end. If I do this once a year it seems to be enough. Oddly enough in the 21 years I've owned and lived here...I've never been able to find the discharge end of my tube...lol...

The bleach idea sounds like a good one...I will do that myself, I think.....

day-day

Hall of Fame
Jan 2, 2005
That's VERY good advice. I've also used a small jeweler's type flat-headed screw driver to push a line through the grommet.

What's harder than pushing the lines through the grommet IMHO, is pushing the grommet itself into the fuel tank hole so it seats properly. I use a small dab of Vasoline but it still involves a lot of wrestling around and manipulating to get that sucker seated properly.

========

As for your drain tube.....mine attaches to my air-handler housing with a few PVC pieces - couple elbows and short section of 1/2" pipe. It's not glued...so I detach it and simply blow through it with my mouth and lungs...and usually I can feel some gunk getting blown out the other end. If I do this once a year it seems to be enough. Oddly enough in the 21 years I've owned and lived here...I've never been able to find the discharge end of my tube...lol...

The bleach idea sounds like a good one...I will do that myself, I think.....
Are we still on the subject of home maintenance?:)

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
Back on the subject about trimmer fuel lines.....there's a plethora of videos on You Tube that might be of help.

Here's one for example but there's many more...some better than others....(just like chili).

AUDub

Hall of Fame
Dec 4, 2013
Back on the subject about trimmer fuel lines.....there's a plethora of videos on You Tube that might be of help.

Here's one for example but there's many more...some better than others....(just like chili).

I had that model Echo for years before I finally gave up on keeping it going last year. Could only keep it going with carb cleaning/replacement and Seafoam for so long. Got my money's worth out of it, so no complaints.

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
So you associate chili with gas?
Ha...was wondering if anyone would catch that. I was making an analogy of YT videos and chili. There's no such thing as bad videos or chili......some are just better than others! ;)

Kind of an inside joke I guess....a retired Army Colonel who I used to teach school with used that phrase once (regarding chili) back in the 80's and it stuck with me....

I would think in Florida the puddle from the AC discharge would be obvious. This time of year I get standing water in central Alabama.
Normally you would be right but I think it discharges out past my back patio which is surrounded by grass so not going to "see" a puddle there. Also...we have VERY sandy (and thus well-drained) soil so we don't really get puddles except on hardscaped surfaces.

I had that model Echo for years before I finally gave up on keeping it going last year. Could only keep it going with carb cleaning/replacement and Seafoam for so long. Got my money's worth out of it, so no complaints.
I hear ya. Currently my quiver contains a hand held blower that is approx. 24 years old. Never repaired anything in the engine itself - just fuel stuff. It's a private label Echo...21 cc. I use it every week! I've had plenty of other Echo's that I have replaced through the years though...plenty. Just bought a new stick edger and string trimmer this year in fact. Even though they are fairly straight forward to repair and maintain....you get tired of fussing with them sometimes....

day-day

Hall of Fame
Jan 2, 2005
My AC condensate drains into the house sewer plumbing. It hooks up with the pipe that my clothes washer drains into. When I unclogged the AC drain a while back, there was a giant flush of water that sprayed back a little out of the drain hole behind my washer.

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.