Need Some Laptop Advice

CrimsonProf

Hall of Fame
Dec 30, 2006
Birmingham, Alabama
So my wife's real estate career is starting to take off, and she needs a new laptop.

Most all of her work is done online - though she uses a fair amount of pdf format reports.

Can we use a Chromebook in the short term until we can afford a better laptop?

And for this sort of work, will we be better off with a Windows laptop or a Mac book when we're ready to pull the trigger for real in a few months?

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
Mountainous Northern California
So my wife's real estate career is starting to take off, and she needs a new laptop.

Most all of her work is done online - though she uses a fair amount of pdf format reports.

Can we use a Chromebook in the short term until we can afford a better laptop?

And for this sort of work, will we be better off with a Windows laptop or a Mac book when we're ready to pull the trigger for real in a few months?
Depends. What short and long term budgets are we working with here?

P.S. Also helps to know what program she will run or if it is completely web/cloud based.

CrimsonProf

Hall of Fame
Dec 30, 2006
Birmingham, Alabama
Depends. What short and long term budgets are we working with here?

P.S. Also helps to know what program she will run or if it is completely web/cloud based.
Short term budget is roughly $250.

Long term is closer to $1000.

As far as programming - just web-based productivity and real estate stuff. Could use a Chrome pdf extension.

centerstar

2nd Team
Nov 4, 2011
My wife's a realtor. My advice: don't get it unless to have some other way to print. She'll need to print sometimes and it's complicated on the Chrome book.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Jon

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2002
Atlanta 'Burbs
My wife's a realtor. My advice: don't get it unless to have some other way to print. She'll need to print sometimes and it's complicated on the Chrome book.

this is a great call. Printing on a Chromebook is a hassle

rolltide_21

Hall of Fame
Dec 9, 2007
NW AL
this is a great call. Printing on a Chromebook is a hassle
Depends on the printer. I use HP printers which has a chrome extension. Installed it and it works no problem connected and wirelessly. I know many don't like HP printers but I don't mind them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
Zero experience with a Chromebook so keep that in mind, but...

File handling is generally pretty important in a small business - I can't imagine telling a client to jump through hoops to deliver a particular file type simply because that's what I chose to be able to access...

Just thinking aloud - I know most tablets I've looked at had every limited local file options - that's a deal killer for most businesses. Very few small businesses can afford the luxury of turning customers away over something as silly as file types.

centerstar

2nd Team
Nov 4, 2011
My wife has a chrome book, we have am HP printer with extensions, and two other computers in the house. I reiterate my previous advice.

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
Food for thought: http://www.bestbuy.com/site/lenovo-...00gb-hard-drive-black/5091163.p?skuId=5091163

I figured you have done your homework, so didn't hit on compatibility issues, but that is an important factor. A laptop similar to this may be a better choice than a Chromebook, depending on use case.

Another option is to just split the difference and hit a price close to $600 to get something very adequate in the beginning without going overboard. http://www.bestbuy.com/site/dell-in...ard-drive-jingle-gold/5296508.p?skuId=5296508

CA is right: getting it right from the get go is important so as not to lose business over silly technical issues. I'll admit to having little patience for such things. I imagine others feel the same. Your wife also does not want to give off the air of not being professionally capable even though she is. Choosing inadequate hardware gives that impression, like it or not.

gtowntide

All-American
Mar 1, 2011
Memphis,TN.
If you go the laptop route get a Mac. I've got the MacBook Air. You'll pay more on the front end, but for me well worth it! Good Luck!

tidefanbeezer

All-American
Sep 25, 2006
Atlanta, GA
Short-term: Chromebook is the way to go.

Long-term: Consider something like this. It's a tablet for when she's out and about and needs something easy to carry and can be turned into a laptop when she's back at the office and can use a docking station or fold out key board.

* Full disclosure, I don't have a Surface Pro, but have been doing lots of research, as I am getting ready to buy a new laptop. It seems like a great choice to get the best of both worlds (laptop & tablet).

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
I would suggest getting one that has a detachable keyboard so that it can be used as a laptop or tablet. Imo that would be a big plus for her.
There are also some 2-n-1 devices with permanent keyboard that offer the same capability. My problem with detachables not named Surface Pro is that they are notorious for poor performance, overheating, and generally being unreliable - which is why MS felt the need to jump in with a superior product at a superior price.

Bama Reb

Suspended
Nov 2, 2005
On the lake and in the woods, AL
There are also some 2-n-1 devices with permanent keyboard that offer the same capability. My problem with detachables not named Surface Pro is that they are notorious for poor performance, overheating, and generally being unreliable - which is why MS felt the need to jump in with a superior product at a superior price.
I agree that you get what you pay for. I don't have to have the latest and greatest. Instead I try to get what I need and still stay within a reasonable price range. For my needs, the Dragon Touch i10x does fine.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.