New Rules by the NCAA for the 2019 season

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
Re: New Rules by the NCAA for the 2019 season.

You beat me to it.

The new overtime is a little over reaction for one game.
I don't think it is over reaction for one game.. How long did that game last? Seven OTs...... People have been wanting the OT rules changed for long time. So this is a good rule...

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012

I like all of these other that the OT rule, and it is something that we will almost never see

bama61

1st Team
Aug 24, 2004
North Alabama

You beat me to it.

The new overtime is a little over reaction for one game.
Sounds like a "made for TV" rule so far as I can see. I'd not be surprised if after a year or two the alternating two point conversions was moved up to after the third overtime or possibly even after the second. I'm neither advocating nor condemning this, I just think ESPN wants to fit games into a more narrowly defined window for broadcast scheduling purposes. Just part of the price for that nice paycheck doled out to the conferences every Spring.

Snuffy Smith

All-American
Sep 12, 2012
Huntsville, AL

Will the new targeting rule be called the “Devon White” clause?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tusks_n_raider

Hall of Fame
May 13, 2009
Mobile, AL

I'm a little concerned with the Blind Side Block rule. I guess it depends on how they define 'Forcible Contact'?

I'm all for eliminating those devastating bone crushing blind side blocks that I guess you would categorize as 'unnecessary roughness'... sure....those can go.

But will players not be allowed to make ANY contact? No little 1 or 2 handed shove or anything? Can they 'shield' the player off?

I mean if they can't do anything it's kind of unfair to offenses. These type of blocks usually happen on long running plays or WR's catching a short pass and running..... They can't 'House It' because they are slower skill players and/or defenders have angles so they weave around and usually fellow teammates like another WR or TE helps with blocking to get more yards.

If downfield blockers can't really block unless they are sure the defender can see them then the opposing D's will just bottle those plays up with the sideline as an extra defender.

It's going to hurt slower offensive players for sure. This will probably cause a ridiculous amount of flags per game until they define clearly what if any contact is allowed on these type of plays.

ALA2262

All-American
Aug 4, 2007
Cumming, GA

I'm a little concerned with the Blind Side Block rule. I guess it depends on how they define 'Forcible Contact'?

I'm all for eliminating those devastating bone crushing blind side blocks that I guess you would categorize as 'unnecessary roughness'... sure....those can go.

But will players not be allowed to make ANY contact? No little 1 or 2 handed shove or anything? Can they 'shield' the player off?

I mean if they can't do anything it's kind of unfair to offenses. These type of blocks usually happen on long running plays or WR's catching a short pass and running..... They can't 'House It' because they are slower skill players and/or defenders have angles so they weave around and usually fellow teammates like another WR or TE helps with blocking to get more yards.

If downfield blockers can't really block unless they are sure the defender can see them then the opposing D's will just bottle those plays up with the sideline as an extra defender.

It's going to hurt slower offensive players for sure. This will probably cause a ridiculous amount of flags per game until they define clearly what if any contact is allowed on these type of plays.
Most recent and probable reason for rule change:

LINK

tusks_n_raider

Hall of Fame
May 13, 2009
Mobile, AL

Most recent and probable reason for rule change:

LINK
Yeah I'm fine with getting rid of that type of hit..... like I say above for today's game that is basically unnecessary roughness. It's a player teeing off on a guy that can't see it coming.

My Question is can a player lightly push or shove in these type of instances instead to actually block for a teammate or is ANY purposeful contact a foul??

Will the only contact allowed be 'shielding' with the body and/or just incidental contact?

It depends on how the refs call it.... I'm just afraid they will go overboard and start flagging any kind of blind side contact.

gtgilbert

All-American
Aug 12, 2011

typically forcible contact would not include shielding, using the hands to push, re-direct or screen an opponent.

BamaNation

Publisher and Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Apr 9, 1999
Silicon Slopes
TideFans.com

Pay the refs more?
Maybe... carrot & stick. Bonus for being consistently excellent, fines/suspensions/firings for being less than excellent. Too much on the line for being anything less.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville

Maybe... carrot & stick. Bonus for being consistently excellent, fines/suspensions/firings for being less than excellent. Too much on the line for being anything less.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Somehow these guys continue to get good grades on evaluations, so I'm not sure that would matter.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC

The new O.T. rule is basically like a shootout in hockey. With the current rules, I guess I'm fine with that because if they haven't separated themselves in four quarters and 4 overtimes, then shoot it out!

FWIW, I like the earlier suggestion of just started at the 40. Think that would help the college overtime. It would typically require making at least one first down to get into fg position.

Go Bama

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
16outa17essee

I wish they would change the penalty for targeting. I just cannot stand the penalty carrying over into the next game.

ALA2262

All-American
Aug 4, 2007
Cumming, GA

I wish they would change the penalty for targeting. I just cannot stand the penalty carrying over into the next game.
You might want to rethink that, because you would be allowing a disgruntled player on a team being blown out to intentionally seriously injure an opposing player late in a game. Without any further retribution than being ejected from a game that he doesn't wish to be in anyway. IOW, Alabama players facing that situation in almost every game.

Last edited:

Go Bama

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
16outa17essee

You might want to rethink that, because you would be allowing a disgruntled player on a team being blown out to intentionally seriously injure an opposing player late in a game. Without any further retribution than being ejected from a game that he doesn't wish to be in anyway. IOW, Alabama players facing that situation in almost every game.
Perhaps you are right. Personally, I don’t recall this being a big issue before the targeting rules were instigated. I don’t think the rule is a deterrent to angry athletes anyway.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.