Question: Next D1 Coach To Win His 1st National Championship?

alabama mike1

All-American
Jul 12, 2013
Ohio
I heard a discussion on the radio yesterday about this subject and I'd like to get everyone's opinion. Winning the National Championship is a very difficult task. You have to have a good team, that is obvious, you have to catch a break or two during the season, you have to remain injury free to key players and now I would say you probably need a very good QB instead of the game manager. With that being said, Nick Saban, Dabo Swinney, Mack Brown, Jimbo Fisher, Les Miles and Ed Oregeron have all won the big game. Who in your opinion is the next D1 coach to win his first NC?

jashleyren2

1st Team
Aug 27, 2018
It's Ryan Day. I do worry a teeny amount whether or not his great team this year was built around players that Coach Meyer signed. Can he keep that astronomical level of recruiting at Columbus? I think he can, but something tells me that's very hard to do.

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La
I don't think tOSU would have beaten LSU.....
And since (I believe) that Bama was LSU's equal -- that they wouldn't have beaten Bama in that game either.

Bama had a down year.
tOSU had an up year.....yet Bama was still the better team (again, to me)

So -- I'm not feeling the tOSU love.....just don't see the path to a NC for them......not as long as the SEC and Clemson stay dominant

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
Ryan Day would probably be the best bet. But most likely someone that just has magic strike for one year out of the blue with a favorable schedule. I would say someone like Cryst if he just lands some elite QB out of the blue.

12Namath12

Suspended
Sep 24, 2016
Birmingham
I didn't know much about Ryan Day until I heard him interviewed on an Ohio sports radio station.

I came away impressed at how knowledgeable and poised he was answering the questions.

I think he proved in his first year that he will be a coach that will have much success in the future.

Under his leadership, I think OSU will be a top 5 team year in and year out.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
I don't think tOSU would have beaten LSU.....
And since (I believe) that Bama was LSU's equal -- that they wouldn't have beaten Bama in that game either.

Bama had a down year.
tOSU had an up year.....yet Bama was still the better team (again, to me)

So -- I'm not feeling the tOSU love.....just don't see the path to a NC for them......not as long as the SEC and Clemson stay dominant
In 2019, without Tua, OSU beats Alabama pretty easily. I don't think you realize how good our defense was, and our offense would have scored on almost every possession. With a healthy Tua - Alabama beats everyone.

Next year our defense takes a step backward and we lost Dobbins. Yeah, I have no idea what we will look like.

The Ols

Hall of Fame
Jul 8, 2012
Cumming,Ga.
I think it's as much the school as anything this early in his reign, but I agree with Day @ tOSU.
Side note, he's in the history books as the state of New Hampshire's all time leading passer. (HSFB)

Reactions: B1GTide

12Namath12

Suspended
Sep 24, 2016
Birmingham
In 2019, without Tua, OSU beats Alabama pretty easily. I don't think you realize how good our defense was, and our offense would have scored on almost every possession. With a healthy Tua - Alabama beats everyone.

Next year our defense takes a step backward and we lost Dobbins. Yeah, I have no idea what we will look like.
I agree. Your secondary was the most physical in the country.

As far as next year goes, since I believe you have a young great head coach, the coaching will always enhance the talent.

Reactions: B1GTide

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.