Game Thread: NFL Divisional Playoffs: All Posts up to Championship Games...

DzynKingRTR

TideFans Legend
Dec 17, 2003
Vinings, ga., usa
I mean the aTm vs LSU game was ridiculous but the game was entertaining. But the Illinois vs PSU was just two teams that just sucked.

I hate ties, and my team tied with the lions this year. But the tie saved me from watching 15 more minutes of bad football to win the best loser. College has invented a style of overtime that will have never ending games vs bad teams and bull crap losses by good teams.
I am a Chiefs fan and if Buffalo had won the toss and scored, I would not have screamed "unfair". I would have just accepted it, but complained that the defense couldn't do their job.

Reactions: B1GTide

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
I am a Chiefs fan and if Buffalo had won the toss and scored, I would not have screamed "unfair". I would have just accepted it, but complained that the defense couldn't do their job.
Sometimes it happens that way. Three of Brady’s Super Bowl runs are directly impacted by winning a coin toss. It happens, but after 60 minutes you would think you could come up with a defensive stop.

Like I said probably the best way is to put the ball on the 50 and give the team 4 plays to score and then let the other team try.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
Went 3-1 this week

General early thoughts on Championship weekend.... Eh its either going to a formality or its going to be chaos. Rams and Chiefs SHOULD play in the Super Bowl, but will they?

AFC: The Bengals are very young, but confident. Thats a very dangerous combination. Mahomes should be skating to a Super Bowl, but Andy Reid maybe the great equalizer in it. He is capable of confusing his play chart with a Waffle House Menu at the drop of a hat in conference championships and Super Bowls. Should be another fire works show...

NFC: Rams are better, but they are only built to beat 1 team... the Bucs. I will probably go back and forth on this one all week because we have two morons as head coaches calling a championship game against each other. But I am leaning with the team on a 6 game streak against the other right now...

Reactions: BamaFlum

TitleWave

All-American
Dec 3, 2012
...Like I said probably the best way is to put the ball on the 50 and give the team 4 plays to score and then let the other team try.
The best way is to have the officiating crew consult the press box, and determine which side of the field AFraud was last spotted on - and automatically "award" that team defeat. Think it didn't work for (against) Green Bay? ... And oh, by the way, remind me again who Saban brought in last year as a preseason motivational speaker to fire up the team on how difficult it is to repeat as national champions?

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
I didn't think of it at the time, but, yeah, the squib kick probably doesn't give KC enough time to get off a FG attempt. That said, I would not have been surprised to see KC win it with some xrazy hail Mary play.
Key thing, though, is the ball not going out of bounds on the kick, too.

And there's a certain variable of "non-control" that can mess up everything.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
Key thing, though, is the ball not going out of bounds on the kick, too.

And there's a certain variable of "non-control" that can mess up everything.
Well there is also more of a chance for something stupid to happen in coverage as well. It probably is the most strategic move but there is a lot of risk when the other team knows they need a 1 play score if they field it. It’s a damn if you do and damn if you don’t kinda thing.

Personally I would have done what McDermott did and force Mahomes to drive the field instead of a circus clown act potentially happening from their special teams.

But like Tampa some idiot has to to know the guys that you just can’t have beat you in the clutch. Both the Bucs and Bills DC should be followed around by a French Horn player for a week tooting each step they make for those epic choke jobs in the clutch.

Last edited:
Reactions: The Ols and B1GTide

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
How about this:

If team A scores a TD, give team B a shot, but if they score as well they have to go for 2. Fair?
Okay, let's say that's the rule.

That means the team that DOES score first will always go for 2 anyway since the second team has to go for it.
They have nothing to do lose. If they miss and hold, they win by six. If the other team scores, the best they can do is tie the game with the two.

And we play on. (Unless the rule is going to be "team that scores first can only kick the point").

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Okay, let's say that's the rule.

That means the team that DOES score first will always go for 2 anyway since the second team has to go for it.
They have nothing to do lose. If they miss and hold, they win by six. If the other team scores, the best they can do is tie the game with the two.

And we play on. (Unless the rule is going to be "team that scores first can only kick the point").
Just make it so both teams are required to go for 2 - no extra point attempts in OT

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
I think that they were betting against the the KC kicker, who had missed an extra point and a FG attempt earlier in the game.
I figure the same thing.

There's a ton of moves we can critique; I honestly don't think "he should have squib kicked it" is one of them. Makes for an interesting discussion - but if you kick deep and win, you're a genius, too.

Reactions: B1GTide

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
I figure the same thing.

There's a ton of moves we can critique; I honestly don't think "he should have squib kicked it" is one of them. Makes for an interesting discussion - but if you kick deep and win, you're a genius, too.
Allowing Kelce a clean vertical route is what ultimately lost them the game. Mahomes was never going to Hill in that situation. It was either Kelce or Hardaman.

RollTide_HTTR

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2017
No easy answer, but what's better?

You give the ball to team A and they score a TD, then team B has to score the TD and the 2pt conversion to win? How is that fair on a coin toss?

The reality is as there's no easy solution, and the CFB solution is currently the most 'fair'. Everyone gets equal opportunity.
Interesting take I saw on Twitter pointed out that college is actually less fair. The advantage the team going 2nd has is greater than the advantage a team getting the ball first in the NFL has. Mostly because they know what the team that went first did already. So for example you know that you can just play for a FG.

Something like 55% of teams that get the ball first in the NFL win apparently. But the team that goes 2nd in OT in college wins a higher percentage than that, I cant remember what the number was.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
Safe to say, the only better game this season I can think of is UA/UWGA 24 -22
Honestly…. Aside from rewatching the drive I really have no desire to rewatch that game ever again.

For CFB I would say Baylor vs Okie St II, Texas vs Oklahoma, Nebraska vs Iowa, Ohio St vs Minnesota, Alabama vs Florida, Ole Miss vs Arkansas, and Purdue vs Tennessee are probably some of the best games of the season.

JayBama_in_PCOLA

All-American
Oct 2, 2020
Andalusia (living in Pace/Pensacola, Fl)
Honestly…. Aside from rewatching the drive I really have no desire to rewatch that game ever again.

For CFB I would say Baylor vs Okie St II, Texas vs Oklahoma, Nebraska vs Iowa, Ohio St vs Minnesota, Alabama vs Florida, Ole Miss vs Arkansas, and Purdue vs Tennessee are probably some of the best games of the season.
I watch it for the faces, and how they change. Even the reason for tears change.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
What's funny is this whole NFL overtime rules discussion is almost exactly the same discussion as "what's the fairest way to determine a college football national champion?"

Reactions: crimsonaudio

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.