Game Thread: NFL Divisional Playoffs: All Posts up to Championship Games...

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
I hate the NFL OT rules. Last night, the two offenses were unstoppable by the end of the game. You had to know that as soon KC won the coin toss that they were going to win. Buffalo never had a chance as soon as OT began. KC essentially won because they won a coin toss. That's just lame.
Remember a few years ago when the SAINTS won the toss and the RAMS went to the Super Bowl after perhaps the worst call in NFL history?

We can start with the NCAA OT rules and make changes and wind up with something much better than the NFL OT. Perhaps take away field goals and extra points, maybe even push the starting point back from the 25 yard line. But definitely make sure that both teams get a shot at the ball in OT. Watching the Bills lose that game in OT without their offense ever touching the field was a terrible way to end that game.
One thing I'd like to change is this: why MUST we start over with a coin toss in overtime? We ASSUME that but why?

Why not simply play the overtime as sudden death?

Granted, it wouldn't have made a difference last night but think about it. Buffalo might have incentive to stop the clock with, say, six seconds left and force KC to first try the FG and then kick off prior to the clock running out. Buffalo then gets the ball and we play on.

This would also add some strategy in the waning minutes of a game regarding timeouts and would force the Chiefs (last night, other teams at other times) to decide whether they were going for the TD or the FG tie and kick the ball back to Buffalo.

The college football overtime is a monumental disaster at every level. It has ONE good aspect to it - it's better than a tie.

Reactions: AlexanderFan

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
Defense is still a part of the game, and Buffalo's defense had their chance to help their team win and failed in OT. We can talk about Josh Allen and the Buffalo offense, but they only make up half the team. Third if we count special teams, but I'm like the Green Bay Packers and I don't do that.

Anyway, if I were to change the rules at all it would be for the playoffs only. Play a full ten minute period. If it is still tied at that point, then advance to a sudden death OT. First score of any kind wins.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
Remember a few years ago when the SAINTS won the toss and the RAMS went to the Super Bowl after perhaps the worst call in NFL history?

One thing I'd like to change is this: why MUST we start over with a coin toss in overtime? We ASSUME that but why?

Why not simply play the overtime as sudden death?

Granted, it wouldn't have made a difference last night but think about it. Buffalo might have incentive to stop the clock with, say, six seconds left and force KC to first try the FG and then kick off prior to the clock running out. Buffalo then gets the ball and we play on.

This would also add some strategy in the waning minutes of a game regarding timeouts and would force the Chiefs (last night, other teams at other times) to decide whether they were going for the TD or the FG tie and kick the ball back to Buffalo.

The college football overtime is a monumental disaster at every level. It has ONE good aspect to it - it's better than a tie.
i mean hell I guess the only fair way is to bring back the XFL scramble to decide who gets the football.

• Love
Reactions: selmaborntidefan

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
Funny that the first time they did it, one of the players was injured. Shocker, I know.
Sometimes when something sounds cool in your head it’s really not cool in actual practice. Vince was notorious for big and grand ideas, and that one ranked up with the 8 man Hell in the Cell match in that it sounded cool but turned out to be one of the dumbest things to actually see.

CrimsonNagus

Hall of Fame
Jun 6, 2007
Montgomery, Alabama, United States
If the team with the ball scores a touchdown on the opening possession, the other team gets the ball at their own 30 and continues play until scoring a touchdown, or the defense makes a stop.

This would keep a team from losing without having a chance to respond, while also making that team earn the touchdown. Then the first team has to gamble going for two or taking the extra point try.
Why start at the 30? Do what we do after every TD, kick-off. Why do people want to remove portions of the game for overtime? Just change the rule so that both teams get at least one possession no matter what, then it becomes sudden death. Perfect.

Baseball and basketball have the perfect OT (well, baseball had until the stupid Mickey Mouse rule) because you just keep playing the same game. Football folks seem obsessed with not wanting to play the same game in OT.

I think the college OT rules cheapen the entire game. Both teams play their hearts out and now we change to clown rules and eliminate 75% of the field. Now it gets even worse after the second OT, they eliminate 97% of the field. Maybe one day baseball will switch to HR derby for extra innings and basketball will just do dunking contests for OT. That’ll be fun!

Reactions: TideEngineer08

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
I mean, both teams know the rules going in, so...
Aside from which we'd be hearing a pile of nonsense about their "faith and determination" and "us against the world" crap if they'd picked off Mahomes for a Pick Six and won the game.

Gee, folks are upset that Matt Hasselbeck said his team "wanted the ball and we're gonna score" before he threw the pick six against the Pack-uhs - but that it literally what all the complainers are saying RIGHT NOW about that game Sunday.

Reactions: UAH

RollTide_HTTR

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2017
Interesting update on some of the stats for who wins OT games.

If you look at all NFL OT games it since the rule change the team that wins the coin toss only wins around 52% of the time. BUT if you look at the playoffs alone the winner of the coin toss is 10-1.

CrimsonNagus

Hall of Fame
Jun 6, 2007
Montgomery, Alabama, United States
So the real problem is the coin always picking the better team in the playoffs.

Instead of a coin toss at the start of OT, I think the team that received the kick at the start of the game should get it first in OT. Would make the decision to the receive or defer a little tougher, especially if the teams are considered pretty evenly matched.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
Defense is still a part of the game, and Buffalo's defense had their chance to help their team win and failed in OT. We can talk about Josh Allen and the Buffalo offense, but they only make up half the team. Third if we count special teams, but I'm like the Green Bay Packers and I don't do that.

Anyway, if I were to change the rules at all it would be for the playoffs only. Play a full ten minute period. If it is still tied at that point, then advance to a sudden death OT. First score of any kind wins.
In all honesty, I wouldn't mind going back to having ties in the regular season. Teams would have to seriously contemplate, "We might miss the playoffs" all year long. Then for OT only in the playoffs you can have sudden death BUT you don't stop it for a coin toss, you simply continue the game.

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
In all honesty, I wouldn't mind going back to having ties in the regular season. Teams would have to seriously contemplate, "We might miss the playoffs" all year long. Then for OT only in the playoffs you can have sudden death BUT you don't stop it for a coin toss, you simply continue the game.
Yes I agree. Just keep playing as if it were a true 5th "quarter."

Reactions: crimsonaudio

RollTide_HTTR

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2017
Letting the game continue sounds interesting. It could seriously impact end of game strategy.

I think it would at least make it feel more fair

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
If you look at all NFL OT games it since the rule change the team that wins the coin toss only wins around 52% of the time. BUT if you look at the playoffs alone the winner of the coin toss is 10-1.
That's partly because teams in the playoffs are generally going to be among the best teams in the league.

Reactions: RollTide_HTTR

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.