NFL HOF nominations include 3 Bama guys (Alexander, Bennett, Samuels)

BamaNation

Publisher and Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Apr 9, 1999
Silicon Slopes
TideFans.com
RB Shaun Alexander: ProBowl 2003-2005, NFL MVP 2005, NFL POY 2005, NFL Leading rusher 2005, NFL single-season record TDs (28) 2005, Super Bowl 2005, 100 career TD's (8th in NFL History)

LB Cornelius Bennett: #2 draft pick, 4 straight Super Bowls (with Bills), ProBowl 4X, All Pro, 206 games played, played in Super Bowl with Falcons, 71.5 sacks, 7 INT,

OT Chris Samuels: #3 draft pick, ProBowl 6X (2001-2008), 10 seasons w/ Redskins, started all 141 games in which he played.

130 modern-era players are on the initial nomination list. List will be narrowed to 25 semi-finalists in November and 15 finalists in February.

Great players, all. I don't know how much of a chance (if any) they have in making the HOF, but would love to see all three be there.

rolltide_21

Hall of Fame
Dec 9, 2007
NW AL
I’d like to see Biscuit get in. He’s deserving. I think Chris Samuels should also be in. But, this year has several first ballot HOFs so I dont see them getting this go around.

DzynKingRTR

TideFans Legend
Dec 17, 2003
Vinings, ga., usa
Out of all the great Bama players, there are only eight in the HOF.

I'm not sure these three will make the cut.
Since it is voted on by journalist and Peyton Manning is eligible this year that is one spot that will be taken up. Who knows how many others will go in. The fact that these 3 are being considered would be that at the very least one voter voted them in for consideration. Stats do not matter. The only thing that matters is whether or not enough voters like them.

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL
That is awesome. I think the most dominant of those three was Samuels and I think he has the best chance. Shaun was a MVP and Biscuit played in 5 Super Bowls so they have a chance but don't know if it will be good enough.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
Biscuit is the most likely out of the 3, but with Peyton Manning and Calvin Johnson having their first crack at the HOF , and then you add Charles Woodson Wes Welker, Heath Miller, and Justin Tuck to that list it’s unlikely any of them.

Reactions: selmaborntidefan

Special K

All-American
Feb 8, 2008
Corn and Big Sam should be in at some point for sure. I love Alexander but he's probably borderline HOF.

DzynKingRTR

TideFans Legend
Dec 17, 2003
Vinings, ga., usa
Biscuit is the most likely out of the 3, but with Peyton Manning and Calvin Johnson having their first crack at the HOF , and then you add Charles Woodson Wes Welker, Heath Miller, and Justin Tuck to that list it’s unlikely any of them.
Probably right. Chad "Ochocinco" Johnson is also eligible.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
Probably right. Chad "Ochocinco" Johnson is also eligible.
Jeff Saturday, Jason Elam, Alstott, and Teddy Bruschi are well past due as well. I think out of our 3 Bennett is the most likely because he has been on the ballot for longer, and could be that guy that they throw a bone to avoid a pick between two equally deserving guys.

DzynKingRTR

TideFans Legend
Dec 17, 2003
Vinings, ga., usa
Jeff Saturday, Jason Elam, Alstott, and Teddy Bruschi are well past due as well. I think out of our 3 Bennett is the most likely because he has been on the ballot for longer, and could be that guy that they throw a bone to avoid a pick between two equally deserving guys.
I saw a thing on NFL network once and they said they have voted guys in because they just got tired of discussing them every year. Hell I thought Bruschi was already in.

davefrat

Hall of Fame
Jun 4, 2002
Hopewell, VA
Love Alexander...always will...but I think he's very borderline for the HOF.

he had a few years of incredible production, but I think his career achievements are too compacted and short to get him into Canton.

hope I'm wrong.

bamagradinATL

All-American
Sep 12, 2006
McKinney, TX
I agree with your assessment of Shaun’s career. I also hope we are both wrong about him getting in. He was a standup guy. I got the opportunity to get to know him while on campus and he was the same no matter who was around.
Love Alexander...always will...but I think he's very borderline for the HOF.

he had a few years of incredible production, but I think his career achievements are too compacted and short to get him into Canton.

hope I'm wrong.
I agree with your assessment of Shaun’s career. I also hope we are both wrong about him getting in. If he had a Super Bowl ring, his chances would be much greater.
He was a standup guy. I got the opportunity to get to know him while on campus and he was the same no matter who was around.

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
Of the three, Bennett probably has the best combination of performance and longevity. But he’s got a problem....pleaded guilty to sexual assault in the late 90s and spent a short time in jail for it.

It would be a tough vote anyway. In today’s environment, I just don’t see anybody sticking their neck out like that.

And yes, I know about other players who did worse and are still in....OJ Simpson and Lawrence Taylor, for example. But two things: first, neither really ran his life off the rails until he was already in. Bennett isn’t in yet. And second, it was a different day and time.

Reactions: crimsonaudio

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.