News Article: Nick Saban Changes His View ... College Football Playoff

oskie

All-SEC
Jan 28, 2005
In light of today's CFP expansion discussions, here's an article from ON3.com posted today.

Nick Saban changes his view about the College Football Playoff.

Just had to pull out this little excerpt from the article:

Most importantly, from Nick Saban’s point of view at least, is maintaining parody in the sport.

I know it appears to be just a Freudian slip of the keyboard, but the author uses the same spelling again in the next paragraph, so this guy may actually think this is the correct word.

Funny nevertheless - and now days, might be the more appropriate word than the one he thought he was using :sneaky:

RollTide_HTTR

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2017
I agree with Saban as long as they get rid of conference championship games or make them part of the playoff somehow

Cruloc

Hall of Fame
Sep 1, 2019
12 team playoff......with conference champs getting an auto bid even if they have multiple losses. Lets do it....must see tv watching an unranked conference champ or one ranked low vs a top 5 team. Like a mosquito on the windshield.

oskie

All-SEC
Jan 28, 2005
I suspect Coach Saban is keenly aware of how much weight his opinion carries in the college football universe, so when he gets specific like this, I would wager he's sending a timely message to the folks that will be discussing this today - to let them know how he thinks it ought to be done :)

Coach Saban Quote: said:
“So, if that’s the case, I’m for having a 12-team playoff, as long as we don’t make the players play too many games. So, you’d end up with eight teams, some teams have a bye week and some teams not, so the top four would have a bye week. The rest of the eight teams would play. And you’d end up with eight, then you’d go through and have the playoffs.”

CraigD

All-American
Aug 8, 2006
Columbus, GA
So if it's 12, do the top 4 get a bye for the "first round?" Sounds like an appropriate way to reward a team for a successful season.

teamplayer

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2001
cullman, al, usa
In light of today's CFP expansion discussions, here's an article from ON3.com posted today.

Nick Saban changes his view about the College Football Playoff.

Just had to pull out this little excerpt from the article:

I know it appears to be just a Freudian slip of the keyboard, but the author uses the same spelling again in the next paragraph, so this guy may actually think this is the correct word.

Funny nevertheless - and now days, might be the more appropriate word than the one he thought he was using :sneaky:
Yes, "journalists" these days aren't usually wordsmiths any longer. It's all about shock and getting clicks because they have seen what has happened to the newspaper industry.

Reactions: oskie

teamplayer

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2001
cullman, al, usa
I have mentioned a plan here on Tidefans for about twenty years now, but I only included eight teams. I had the winners of the major conferences and then a few at large bids. I think when I first mentioned it there were six major conferences, but I can't remember for sure. I definitely like conference champions getting in even if that means there will be a few occasions when an 8-4 or 9-3 team sneaks in because they upset the favorite in the championship game. I'm okay with that because they still won a championship on the field against an opponent instead of just being selected, and an undefeated team that loses in a conference championship will still have a chance to get in with an at-large bid. Anyway, I think eight teams with five major conference champs and three at large teams is more than enough, but this is 2022, so I'm sure they will include a guaranteed spot for a group of five team. Honestly, though, it would be nice to get down to four major conferences so they could have eight teams playing for conference championships with those four winners facing each other in the final four of football. Either way, I'm pretty sure that I will watch until they have horrible replay usage, horrible targeting calls, or too many commercials. :D Roll Tide!

Reactions: oskie

oskie

All-SEC
Jan 28, 2005
Coach Saban Quote: said:
“So, if that’s the case, I’m for having a 12-team playoff, as long as we don’t make the players play too many games. So, you’d end up with eight teams, some teams have a bye week and some teams not, so the top four would have a bye week. The rest of the eight teams would play. And you’d end up with eight, then you’d go through and have the playoffs.”
So if it's 12, do the top 4 get a bye for the "first round?" Sounds like an appropriate way to reward a team for a successful season.
... Sounds like that would suit Coach Saban.

Reactions: CraigD

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
I'm not surprised CNS is for it. The more it's expanded the easier it gets for the top teams. They are still going to win it 99% of the time. Plus we get to see more college football!

If it's 12 teams then the top 4 get a week off to rest. Let the middle of the pack battle it out with the lower seeds. We'll swoop in and clean up later!

Reactions: TideEngineer08

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
I'm not surprised CNS is for it. The more it's expanded the easier it gets for the top teams. They are still going to win it 99% of the time. Plus we get to see more college football!

If it's 12 teams then the top 4 get a week off to rest. Let the middle of the pack battle it out with the lower seeds. We'll swoop in and clean up later!
I want to preface this by making it known that a one game playoff, which the BCS was, is the best model and the most fair. The method of coming to those teams could be debated. And often there was a 3rd team with a fair claim. But that being said, go ahead to 12 teams but any further would cross the line of absurd.

The rest of the world wants access (that is outside of the SEC, Big Ten, and Notre Dame). 12 teams will grant it. BUT NO AUTO BIDS. Agreed on top 4 ranked getting byes though I don't necessarily agree they have to be the top 4 conference champs. Top 4 teams, period. Just like we are taking the top 4 teams period right now. So take those 4 and give them a bye. And like you said, let these middling teams fight it out in the first round, and we'll go from there.

I don't think it is necessary to have conference championships be the criteria for ranking. But to guarantee access, go ahead and declare that the Power 5 (soon to be power 4) get included in the tournament for sure. And then guarantee 1 non-power 5 gets in. Again, these do NOT have to be conference champions. And then pick the best at-large teams after that number.

Ultimately, after the break away of the the power 5(4), it could be a 6 team playoff. But we all know that once you expand something like a playoff, you never contract it.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.