Nick Saban, Mark Ingram, Chris Samuels named candidates for College Football Hall of Fame’s Class of 2025

BamaNation

Publisher and Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Apr 9, 1999
Silicon Slopes
TideFans.com
My list ... I'm certain there are about 10 other guys who could / should be voted on but this is the list I will go with based on my faulty memory of their college days (in no particular order other than mostly alphabetical with exception of making sure CNS is at the top :D )

1. Nick Saban
  2. Urban Meyer
  3. Aaron Donald
  4. Willie Gault
  5. Garrison Hearst
  6. John Henderson
  7. Mark Ingram
  8. Sebastian Janikowski
  9. Kellen Moore
  10. Ken Norton Jr
  11. Chris Samuels
  12. Takeo Spikes

jthomas666

Hall of Fame
Aug 14, 2002
Birmingham & Warner Robins
Are the specific criteria for coaches like there are for players?

How on earth is either Tubbs or Larry Coker up for this honor?
Combo of age and winning percentage. Tubbs got there by virtue of coaching Auburn during Auburn's worst era. Coker went 35-3 his first three seasons at Miami and more or less coasted from there. He was only a head coach for 11 seasons.

Was Reichard ever a first team all American?
No. He will never be eligible under the current rules.

davefrat

Hall of Fame
Jun 4, 2002
Hopewell, VA
Combo of age and winning percentage. Tubbs got there by virtue of coaching Auburn during Auburn's worst era. Coker went 35-3 his first three seasons at Miami and more or less coasted from there. He was only a head coach for 11 seasons.

No. He will never be eligible under the current rules.
Coker inherited a powerhouse and benefitted greatly from that and slowly road the program down.

I think he was incredibly overrated and not in my mind a HOF coach, but what do I know.

CrimsonTitles

1st Team
Mar 30, 2015
Mark should open the floodgates for more.

Tua
Smitty
Henry
Bryce
Amari
Allen
Minkah
Reichard

Who else?
Aj McCarron. Won back to back championships, and is the all-time leading passer of the GOAT program in college football. He especially belongs when people like Josh Pate are saying it's a travesty that Stetson Bennett isn't eligible. AJ > Stetson

Last edited:

tusks_n_raider

Hall of Fame
May 13, 2009
Mobile, AL
He unfortunately imo just doesn’t have the stats in CFB to be a HOF candidate.

He only had 15 TD’s for his Career and avg less than 1,000 yards per season.

He was 1st team SEC once and a 2nd team All-American.

We love Julio and know the impact he made from a recruiting standpoint but Nationally and objectively he just doesn’t have the CFB stats.

NFL HOF - Yes

CFB HOF - Nope

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La
He unfortunately imo just doesn’t have the stats in CFB to be a HOF candidate.

He only had 15 TD’s for his Career and avg less than 1,000 yards per season.

He was 1st team SEC once and a 2nd team All-American.

We love Julio and know the impact he made from a recruiting standpoint but Nationally and objectively he just doesn’t have the CFB stats.

NFL HOF - Yes

CFB HOF - Nope
Why I didn’t list him. He just didn’t have the stats.

davefrat

Hall of Fame
Jun 4, 2002
Hopewell, VA
Barrett Jones... He was an All American at 3 positions. Outland Trophy, Remington Trophy and more. He should b a unanimous selection.
I'm not suggesting that he's anywhere in the conversation of greatest college OL of all time, but it's not really possible to have had a more decorated college career.

I mean, I guess he could have won the Heisman too, not like that's ever going to happen for a lineman.

tusks_n_raider

Hall of Fame
May 13, 2009
Mobile, AL
Why I didn’t list him. He just didn’t have the stats.
Something else I didn't realize until today is that the #1 Criteria for being a Candidate is being a 1st-Team All-American from a Major Source used to compile Consensus All-Americans.

So just by that it's not going to happen for Julio, Namath, Stabler, Dwight Stephenson, or Will Reichard.

Other Notable SEC players excluded from consideration:

Nick Chubb - #2 All-Time Leading Rusher in the SEC

Eli Manning, Matthew Stafford, and Heath Shuler were all #1 Overall Draft picks and Shuler was Heisman Runner-Up and SEC POTY

I sort of get why it's a part of their Criteria but I also think it's INSANE that it will keep the #1 All-Time CFB Points Leader (Reichard) out of the HOF.

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La
Something else I didn't realize until today is that the #1 Criteria for being a Candidate is being a 1st-Team All-American from a Major Source used to compile Consensus All-Americans.

So just by that it's not going to happen for Julio, Namath, Stabler, Dwight Stephenson, or Will Reichard.

Other Notable SEC players excluded from consideration:

Nick Chubb - #2 All-Time Leading Rusher in the SEC

Eli Manning, Matthew Stafford, and Heath Shuler were all #1 Overall Draft picks and Shuler was Heisman Runner-Up and SEC POTY

I sort of get why it's a part of their Criteria but I also think it's INSANE that it will keep the #1 All-Time CFB Points Leader (Reichard) out of the HOF.
But Leigh Tiffin and Phillip Doyle are eligible. :)

tusks_n_raider

Hall of Fame
May 13, 2009
Mobile, AL
But Leigh Tiffin and Phillip Doyle are eligible. :)
Lol you're right.

It's still sort of mind boggling that Doyle is a Unanimous 1st Team All-American and that Reichard only made 2nd Team All-American X2

Doyle's best season he scored 100 points

Will scored 120+ Points 4 Straight seasons.

I know it's different era's with higher scoring offenses but still.

Will should be eligible at some point.

They've got to re-evaluate their criteria for selections.

Oh and I don't mean to bash Doyle or anything because he was Really Good/Great in 89-90 and Tiffin also had a Very Good Career and a Great year in '09.

tusks_n_raider

Hall of Fame
May 13, 2009
Mobile, AL
The fact Derrick Thomas took so long to be enshrined is the greatest travesty of the College HOF, IMO.

I have not taken it too seriously over the years because of that.
Yeah I think they have a 10 year rule or something from the end of a players playing career so he should have been eligible around '98 but didn't go in until 2014.

It's beyond ridiculous that it took so long though.

I'm pretty sure he at one time was the NCAA All-Time leader for Sacks in a Season and Career but Unofficially because they didn't recognize the stat while he played.

I'm not sure if anyone has broke either record since.

But DT was a TERROR on the field and was massively disruptive to opposing Offenses to say the least.

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
Yeah I think they have a 10 year rule or something from the end of a players playing career so he should have been eligible around '98 but didn't go in until 2014.

I'm pretty sure he at one time was the NCAA All-Time leader for Sacks in a Season and Career but Unofficially because they didn't recognize the stat while he played.

But DT was a TERROR on the field and was massively disruptive to opposing Offenses to say the least.
No one has gotten close to his records. 27 in a season and 55 for a career. Astounding numbers.

But you are right, those weren't official stats back then so he doesn't get the recognition. Kind of like LeeRoy Jordan's 31 tackles in one game vs. Oklahoma. I think it was an Orange Bowl.

CullmanTide

Hall of Fame
Jan 7, 2008
Cullman, Al

He was the most dominating defensive player I've ever seen.

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
Thomas died due to a car accident caused by him driving like an idiot. He was going 70 mph on snowy and icy roads. Another passenger was killed as well. It also came to light after his death he had about seven baby mamas.

I think that might have played a role in not getting in.

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.