Game Thread: NLDS: Atlanta Braves @ St Louis Cardinals Game 4 (Best of 5: ATL leads 2-1)

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
Saw on another site: Freeman/Donaldson/Markakis are 7/48 .146, 1 HR, 3 RBIs, 22 men LOB. Almost hard to believe. It's a miracle it 2-2, it's thanks to Acuna/Albies/Foltynewicz/Soroka/Duvall/Swanson/Fried/Melancon. You just never know in a short series. Some will say the poor performers choked. Maybe but players have bad 4 game stretches often throughout a season. You just don't want to have one at this time. They have another chance.
I think we may need to put Dansby higher in the lineup and start Duvall from the start. I think Joyce is basically a wasted out.

CrimsonNagus

Hall of Fame
Jun 6, 2007
Montgomery, Alabama, United States
Yep, I’ve seen this movie before, for 18 years. I’m seriously not sure I can watch Wednesday. I just can’t stand to watch another Braves team get booted from the postseason.

Newcomb got pulled because his spot in the lineup came up, that move didn’t bother me. I felt sick after Snit pulled Tomlin, just a stupid move IMO. It wasn’t the sole reason we lost because our lineup sucks right now, except for Acuña, Albies, Swanson and Duvall. Tomlin was cruz’n, the Cards weren’t doing anything. One pitch, one out in the 8th, and he gets yanked! It just felt like he was about to set them down in order again.

I’m old school, I get so tired of hearing about analytics, metrics, exit velocity and matchups. I think it cause managers to out think themselves. Sometimes you just need to go with the flow and feel of the game. Tomlin was one of those times. If he finishes the 8th, we are up by 1 going to the 9th. Then bring in Greene and your not asking him to go 2 innings. The end of this game was mismanaged.

Also, Teheran showed us why he wasn’t originally on the postseason lineup. Just not a fan of his. Why Snit thought he would be good out of the bullpen when he struggles in the 1st inning of every start?

I don’t even know what to say about the bats. It’s a Braves tradition for the offense to go in to a deep slump for the postseason. I swear, I think this team, like last year, spent all its energy on winning the division, only to take the final week off and never wake up.

I have no hope for game 5, it’s not the way Atlanta sports goes. Today was the chance, not game 5 against the NL’s best starter who we got lucky against in game 2. Doubt that happens again, no matter how good Folty pitches.

Last edited:

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama

I have no hope for game 5, it’s not the way Atlanta sports goes. Today was the chance, not game 5 against the NL’s best starter who we got lucky against in game 2. Doubt that happens again, no matter how good Folty pitches.
Im not worried about knocking Flaherty out of the ball game because I think we will, Im more worried if Folty gets knocked around. My honest opinion is that the Braves will find a way, but its going to be tough for obvious reasons. But I really think Snit must make adjustments to the lineup, and stop being so arrogant to throw to ozuma.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
I was worried when we left the bases loaded 2 innings in a row with only a one run lead. Then we brought in Jackson and I really knew we were in trouble. When we brought in Teheran, we had conceded defeat and moved on to game 5. No excuse for either of those guys seeing the field unless the Braves were trailing by 5+ runs and they were just eating innings.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
I was worried when we left the bases loaded 2 innings in a row with only a one run lead. Then we brought in Jackson and I really knew we were in trouble. When we brought in Teheran, we had conceded defeat and moved on to game 5. No excuse for either of those guys seeing the field unless the Braves were trailing by 5+ runs and they were just eating innings.
Honestly at that point, I wouldve considered Soroka on no days rest to pitch an inning. I think the moment we yanked Tomlin was when we lost the pitching advantage. I think Greene pitch really well, but I wouldve tried to save him for the 9th if Tomlin was able to get two more outs.

CrimsonNagus

Hall of Fame
Jun 6, 2007
Montgomery, Alabama, United States
Although he said after the game that he has zero issues with his elbow, he’s just not hitting. I want to believe him but all his little half swings make it look like something more is wrong than just not hitting.

I see folks on reddit saying you don’t make lineup changes now, you go with what got you here. Well, this ineffective lineup is why we are in a game 5 so, why do we think it will suddenly be effective on Wednesday.

This would be my lineup if it was up to me:

1 - Acuña RF
2 - Albies 2B
3 - Swanson SS
4 - Donaldson 3B
5 - Freeman 1B
6 - Duvall LF
7 - Flowers C
8 - Hamilton CF
9 - Folty P

I think you need to go with who has the hot bats and put them near the top, it can’t get any worse. I think the we would gain defensive experience with Hamilton and Duvall in the OF and their bats are not any more of a liability then Markakis and Joyce right now.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Just read that Molina did the throat slash. He was the player who made the last our when Acuna did it. Wish he would have publicly called out Acuna as the immature child that he is rather than responding in kind.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
With your vast memory it must hurt to remember that we lost a national championship shot because of La Tech in such detail.
Especially when that very nearly was my first-ever trip to BDS.

My ex and I took my son to his first MLB game the night before. Braves-Mets at the Ted. My son got selected "Jr Brave of the Game" and they put us up on the JumboTron.

He got a Mike Remlinger autographed baseball - and Remlinger wound up getting the win after Rocker blew the save and then Chipper won it with a walk off (that was his MVP year).

So the next day we come back through Opelika and go to the outlet mall and just take our time. Tickets back then were cheap to BDS for games like La Tech.

We chose not to go.........I was about a mile from my house when they hit the fourth down TD, and I began pounding the steering wheel like a deranged madman.

Only other time I've ever done that was when I heard on the radio we'd hired Rich Rod - but at least that time I was sitting in the parking lot.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
Especially when that very nearly was my first-ever trip to BDS.

My ex and I took my son to his first MLB game the night before. Braves-Mets at the Ted. My son got selected "Jr Brave of the Game" and they put us up on the JumboTron.

He got a Mike Remlinger autographed baseball - and Remlinger wound up getting the win after Rocker blew the save and then Chipper won it with a walk off (that was his MVP year).

So the next day we come back through Opelika and go to the outlet mall and just take our time. Tickets back then were cheap to BDS for games like La Tech.

We chose not to go.........I was about a mile from my house when they hit the fourth down TD, and I began pounding the steering wheel like a deranged madman.

Only other time I've ever done that was when I heard on the radio we'd hired Rich Rod - but at least that time I was sitting in the parking lot.
Well Ive lucked out of having to see several losses in person. The 1997 La Tech, 2007 ULM, 2014 Ole Miss, and the 2016 Clemson games I either had or was about to buy tickets for, but ended up staying home. The only losses Ive seen in person are 2015 Ole Miss and 2014 Ohio St.

I think Suntrust is actually better than the Ted, but Im still trying to get use to it because I had some really good memories. I always loved watching Roy Halladay pitch, and was happy I made the decision to go see him pitch before he retired when it was on short notice. I saw some really great Maddux and Glavine games in the 90's. I just think it takes a little getting use to since ive only been to Suntrust 3 times and been to the Ted multiple. One thing that I loved about the Ted over Suntrust was it was easy to park and get out without really hitting a whole lot of traffic (Though parking is like parking at Legion Field in which you better pay the people that park you).

DzynKingRTR

TideFans Legend
Dec 17, 2003
Vinings, ga., usa
If we win tonight, I plan on going to at least one NLCS game.

Probably should go ahead and start the new thread. I will let the original thread starter start that one too.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.