JessN

Administrator & Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
NMSU wrapup: Bama at its best when offense is wide open
by Jess Nicholas
TideFans Editor-In-Chief
September 7th, 2019 07:31 PM

When you read the headline from this article, it makes it seem like Alabama’s offense has all the gears synchronized and everything is clicking along, but that would be deceiving. In a year in which Nick Saban brought back Steve Sarkisian to run the offense, brought in Kyle Flood to bring some nastiness back […]

Read More Here

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Until Alabama can run the ball when the other team is looking for the run, the passing game has to stay wide open. I am still confident that you will get that fixed, but not as confident as I once was.

78Alum

All-American
Aug 1, 2007
Alabaster, AL
Thanks, Jess. Spot on as usual. I am definitely concerned about the OL as we move into SEC games and I haven't been impressed with the RB's. As you rightly said, they continue to miss holes when they are there.

Ole Man Dan

Hall of Fame
Apr 21, 2008
Gadsden, Al.
If I had a complaint it would be we need a little longer punts.
I saw NMS making 64 and 65 yard punts, and us with 39 to low 40s.
I always love the punts that pin em deep.

deliveryman35

Hall of Fame
Jul 26, 2003
Gadsden, AL
A 5 star left tackle/versatile O-lineman needs to be a priority this recruiting season. We don’t appear to be imposing our will at the LOS against two inferior, sub-SEC D-lines. Frankly, for whatever reason we actually look very weak there. Could it be coaching?

Last edited:

Krymsonman

Hall of Fame
Sep 1, 2009
River Ridge, LA
Thank Jess, perfect insight as usual. We do need to fix the blocking, but our backs seem to take a little time hitting the line. They seem to be back there looking for a hole instead on getting going. Every run doesn't need to be a home run.

JessN

Administrator & Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
A 5 star left tackle/versatile O-lineman needs to be a priority this recruiting season. We don’t appear to be imposing our will at the LOS against two inferior, sub-SEC D-lines. Frankly, for whatever reason we actually look very weak there. Could it be coaching?
Hard for me to believe right now that two straight OL coaches have been unable to motivate talented linemen to block aggressively.

I think it's more an identity problem. When your identity is a pass-first offense it's not easy to get in the mindset that you're going to line up and run over people. On top of that, the TE group is not helping at all. We've got guys missing assignments left and right from that group, in addition to running backs not going where they're supposed to. The tight end thing scares me. In the preseason, I mentioned a couple of times that TE scared me as much or more than ILB. Right now our ILB are playing lights-out all things considered. Our TEs, while good receivers, have not. The loss of Kedrick James in the preseason was just huge.

I thought we got better blocking when Amos was in the game at TE but it's hard to tell because by that time, NMSU was ready to go home. Again, hard for me to believe the problem is lack of aggressiveness or talent on the OL. We don't have a single red-chip guy up there. They're all blue chips and we have 15 of them. It's something else.

bamacon

Hall of Fame
Apr 11, 2008
College Football's Mecca, Tuscaloosa
It’s almost like the RBs got conditioned to seeing a defensive player in the backfield upon getting the ball. Whenever the blocks are sound they’re surprised and hesitate. I think consistency should help the OL and RBs the most. It is very true that Championships are won on the LINES and this year will be no different.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Saban4Ever

All-American
Sep 27, 2016
Cobb County GA
Thanks, Jess.

Is it the O Line coaching (again) or our players , or the combination that makes our O line look average?

Is it the O Line, or the running back talent/vision/technique, etc that makes it seem our running backs are average?

I don't know enough about x's and o's but I think if it is not fixed by Texas AM, Bama will have trouble winning a few games.

I wish our OLines and running backs would perform like the Bama teams years ago, and like Georgia and Oklahoma seem to be doing regularly with theirs.

I miss Josh Jacobs and wish Trey Sanders was not injured!

I love our new kicker!

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
Outstanding synopsis, Jess thanks as usual. Not sure how Dickerson has graded out in his first two games, but he appears to be pretty nasty up front. Hopefully he can stabilize the center position. If the OL and RBs don't get on the same page and pretty quickly, then we are on shaky ground for making the playoff.

CoolBreeze

Hall of Fame
Sep 18, 2002
Hoover
Nicely done as always Jess!

Hard for me to believe right now that two straight OL coaches have been unable to motivate talented linemen to block aggressively.

I think it's more an identity problem. When your identity is a pass-first offense it's not easy to get in the mindset that you're going to line up and run over people. On top of that, the TE group is not helping at all. We've got guys missing assignments left and right from that group, in addition to running backs not going where they're supposed to. The tight end thing scares me. In the preseason, I mentioned a couple of times that TE scared me as much or more than ILB. Right now our ILB are playing lights-out all things considered. Our TEs, while good receivers, have not. The loss of Kedrick James in the preseason was just huge.

I thought we got better blocking when Amos was in the game at TE but it's hard to tell because by that time, NMSU was ready to go home. Again, hard for me to believe the problem is lack of aggressiveness or talent on the OL. We don't have a single red-chip guy up there. They're all blue chips and we have 15 of them. It's something else.
I think this nails it. Because of our elite passing game I think that identity will be passing to set up the run. We will have limited success on traditional running downs so the playcalling is going to be a point of emphasis to get lanes for these backs IMHO.

Tucker13

Feb 13, 2017
Jess thanks again for your review and follow up post game. Both are the best anywhere on the internet.

Re watched game focusing on OL. Evan Neal missed so many blocks lost count. He might be better suited as a tackle not a guard. Dickerson is not the answer at center. Dalcourt has played the best at the position. Womack is getting downfield blocks but no one else to be found. Until the OL learns how to run block as a group afraid the RB's will struggle no matter who is back there.

Is it just me or does Tua not seem to be missing more passes. Wonder if he has concerns he might get re-injured.

Defense is surprising. Shane Lee has been stellar as has Harris. Cannot afford to lose either. Hopefully Edgiobe (spelling?) returns to bolster the depth. Glad to see more players getting the chance to play. Hard to beat experience.

A bit concerned with South Carolina and our OL this weekend but can only hope Saban and the coaches find the answer and quick.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.