ADMIN NOTE: No more single name titles...

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
New Smyrna Beach, Florida
Well, this is one of the things I learned when I came here back in 2011.

How important thread titles are.

I had never heard of the term "teaser title".

It really does make sense.

Yet...time and time again we see thread titles that really don't represent the intent of the thread as well as they could.

What Earle is saying here is: "You have PLENTY of space to type some words into the title....why not use them to convey what the thread is all about?"

It's not like you have to pay extra for using more words?

One example is the SEC Shorts videos. You know what I use for the thread title? I use what the video used verbatim. I posted one today - go check it out.

In our Gator forum today - we had THREE different threads started with this new SEC Short video. (None by me, BTW). Finally a mod merged them. Not one used what I considered a proper thread title.

There's a time to be clever with words and a time not to. Thread titles, while potentially fun, really need to be representative of the thread content.

TitleWave

All-American
Dec 3, 2012
Well, this is one of the things I learned when I came here back in 2011.

How important thread titles are.

I had never heard of the term "teaser title".

It really does make sense.

Yet...time and time again we see thread titles that really don't represent the intent of the thread as well as they could.

What Earle is saying here is: "You have PLENTY of space to type some words into the title....why not use them to convey what the thread is all about?"

It's not like you have to pay extra for using more words?

One example is the SEC Shorts videos. You know what I use for the thread title? I use what the video used verbatim. I posted one today - go check it out.

In our Gator forum today - we had THREE different threads started with this new SEC Short video. (None by me, BTW). Finally a mod merged them. Not one used what I considered a proper thread title.

There's a time to be clever with words and a time not to. Thread titles, while potentially fun, really need to be representative of the thread content.
Sorry I don’t have the authority to confer a single name title on you, Bazza, but surely a Tidefans majordomo will be along shortly and pronounce you Invigilator! Or maybe (another single name title) InvigilGator…

• Heart
Reactions: Bazza

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
As background, when we were using vBulletin, originally we didn't have the "cursor hover" feature. The only way to tell what a thread was about was to open it. "Teasers" were a major problem then. Dull, boring threads were given suspenseful titles on a regular basis. With "hover," it improved some, but some people manage wording so poorly, even hover doesn't help. Single name thread titles are specifically set out as teasers and not allowed in the site policies, so there's really no excuse for them...

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
New Smyrna Beach, Florida
Hahaha! I'm an English teacher. I love this!
Thank you for the comment and all you do! I'll never forget my High School English teachers. One of them was married to my Biology teacher. Her name was Jan Spurgeon but can't remember his first name Of course they were always referred to as Mr. and Mrs. She was strict but also had a unique sense of humor. We didn't know it back then but looking back they were very smart in so many ways. Just like good parents! (y)

Reactions: Bamaatthebeach

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
I’m trying to figure out why there have been so many so this year. Usually it’s more of titles with teaser phrases and not just single name titles.

Reactions: TIDE-HSV

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.