Link: Noah Gurley will spend his Covid year at Bama...

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
It's stunning how quickly Coach Oats has turned all of this around. I sometimes hesitate to compare, because they are different sports with different championship models and what Coach Saban has done with football is really unprecedented. But it truly is a very similar path we are on in basketball. The tournament is what it is as we found out all too painfully this season. But this is shaping up to be a final 4 program next season.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Just remember that Coach Oats will not necessarily start the five best players. He wants to be able to substitute and not lose performance. He will look for combinations and good players coming off the bench to rest the starters.
That is a good point. A couple of times this season, I thought I could detect little expressions of despair on our opponents' faces, when they saw what was coming off the bench and at them. After he sold JQ on being the 6th man, I concluded he could sell ice to Eskimos...

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL
Just remember that Coach Oats will not necessarily start the five best players. He wants to be able to substitute and not lose performance. He will look for combinations and good players coming off the bench to rest the starters.
Good point. I don't know how well it will work but we could have a 11-12 man rotation next year. I know we had a lot of 10 man rotations this year. That will be sending waves of really talented, athletic players at our opponents.

Reactions: CraigD

Marg

1st Team
Mar 24, 2003
Somewhere, AL
Gurley announced he will take advantage of the extra COVID year and come back next season. Really looking forward to seeing him on the court a second season in this system. While he’s struggled at times this year, I think his play inside and out is the main factor in how we can open the floor on the offensive end. When he’s on, he’s our best offensive option inside and can draw the defender out more than the others when he steps out.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
Outstanding news! NG is starting to show a lot of ability.

If he can shoot 40% from 3 (as CNO suggests), he will be a tough matchup cause his post up game is starting to really pop!

Reactions: BamaMike05

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La
I’m glad he will be back from an experience standpoint. But for a 5 year guy, he plays soft. Weak hands. And makes bad passes.

If these rookies coming in have game, he may not play as many minutes

• Thank You
Reactions: seebell

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
I’m glad he will be back from an experience standpoint. But for a 5 year guy, he plays soft. Weak hands. And makes bad passes.

If these rookies coming in have game, he may not play as many minutes
Leadership...may provide leadership...we've missed that this year. But I think he'll be better year 2 in the SEC.

Reactions: dtgreg

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La
But only year two in the Bama program. Combine that with his maturity and it should benefit the team. JMO
I hope you are right. Just not seeing leadership with Noah. Feels more “wishful thinking”.

He’s a G5 player. I find that the Grad transfer experiment hasn’t really worked when we’ve tried it. Same with Bruner.

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL
I hope you are right. Just not seeing leadership with Noah. Feels more “wishful thinking”.

He’s a G5 player. I find that the Grad transfer experiment hasn’t really worked when we’ve tried it. Same with Bruner.
I don't think any of the grad transfers we have brought it in have been designated star players. They have been brought to fill rolls on the team. Noah has been inconsistent but he has been a good contributor most of the time and glad we have him back last year.

bvandegraff

All-American
Mar 13, 2014
Albuquerque, NM
Glad to see Gurley stay another year as his game has really picked up of late - the Southern Conference is not the SEC, so it figures it would take him a while to get used to the tougher competition.

Reactions: day-day

BamaMike05

All-American
Jul 4, 2009
Huntsville, Alabama, United States

I will have to disagree with you on Bruner. There are a few things with him. 1) He injured both knees and tried to play through it 2) We don’t win at UK last year without him 3) He was absolutely a leader last year. He was coaching up his teammates on the sidelines all of the time 4) He was a coach on the court on the defensive end. He was constantly directing traffic and talking on defense.

As far as Gurley, I think he is just now getting accustomed to playing at our pace: Furman played a totally different style. I expect Gurley to have a big year next year. This is just my opinion.

Reactions: BamaMoon

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
Lately NG has been a great post option...something we haven't featured under CNO. I've been impressed with his ability to post, catch and score when given the opportunity.

His weakness has been that he needs to be stronger and more physical going to the rim and in rebounding. That'll likely improve with some strength training during the off-season.

And, if his 3 point shooting improves close to what CNO wants, he'll be a pretty complete player in CNO's system. A big 4 who can play inside and out!

Reactions: BamaMike05

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.