News Article: Notes and Nuggets from Alabama Second Scrimmage

Nolan

Hall of Fame
Jul 4, 2006
Oahu
I’m not especially impressed by the names running with 1st team OL. Was sure that someone would have beat out Randolph already. Then again, our best five are normally the best workable combination of five. So let’s see what we get.

gtgilbert

All-American
Aug 12, 2011
Not sure what’s going on with Jackson and the slipping though. The same happened in the last game.

The drops will be killer this year, not sure how you get them to focus on the ball into their hands. It will be especially terrible if Young is running for his life and he hits a receiver for a first down and he drops it.

Encouraging news about different pressure packages. I’ve been a critic of our predictable pressures, maybe this will help.

I would be encouraged about the passes to the tight ends, but we started out last year doing the same.

Branch being compared to Eddie is very nice, we’ve needed an instinctual ballhawk back there who can help others and create hesitancy.

This team needs growth, let’s hope it happens.
We've been running this same 1dl 4lb look on and off since 2015 so it's not really new. We ran it first with Evans as the standing rusher, but over the last few years its been run more by ilb types than edge guys with a few exceptions. Love the idea of Dallas being the standing rusher though.

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
We've been running this same 1dl 4lb look on and off since 2015 so it's not really new. We ran it first with Evans as the standing rusher, but over the last few years its been run more by ilb types than edge guys with a few exceptions. Love the idea of Dallas being the standing rusher though.
This is called Rabbit package. We've used them often. Just different personnel.

bamaga

Hall of Fame
Apr 29, 2002
JAWJA
I’m not especially impressed by the names running with 1st team OL. Was sure that someone would have beat out Randolph already. Then again, our best five are normally the best workable combination of five. So let’s see what we get.
The guy is athletic enough to play TE, and Nick said he will give him an opportunity to play the position. no Oline positions will be truly settled in the Spring. It’ll be a starting off point for the fall only. My biggest concern is that under Saban there was always the next great left tackle waiting. Doesn’t seem to be true this year.

gtgilbert

All-American
Aug 12, 2011
This is called Rabbit package. We've used them often. Just different personnel.
We have lots of versions of "Rabbits". The original was 2DLs, 2OLBs and 2ILBS and sometimes a single ILB with 6 DBs. You're right that we've been running that since way back with Upshaw and Anders. Last year it was just about our default alignment since our edge guys were so productive and versatile. the 1-4-6 stuff came about a bit later, but it's still be used quite often since then.

gtgilbert

All-American
Aug 12, 2011
The guy is athletic enough to play TE, and Nick said he will give him an opportunity to play the position. no Oline positions will be truly settled in the Spring. It’ll be a starting off point for the fall only. My biggest concern is that under Saban there was always the next great left tackle waiting. Doesn’t seem to be true this year.
He's played TE, but he's really an extra OL. He's recorded more tackles (1) in his career than catches so he's a blocker. I've got a lot of respect for him for coming back for a 6th year and doing all the right things and working hard to try and earn a spot, but he's not exactly got the measurables of an LT at 6'4" and only 298. I love he's getting a shot, but have to think that either Kight or Latham will take the spot or that we get the Vandy kid. Even George might get another chance (although I think he's either a guard or RT - don't see him as an LT based on last years work) once Emil is healthy and takes over his spot at Guard.

Nolan

Hall of Fame
Jul 4, 2006
Oahu
Your last point is essentially what I’m saying. No knock on Randolph, but he’s a depth guy ideally. Was hoping to see Latham or Brockermeyer seize the T spots.

Reactions: bamaga

gtgilbert

All-American
Aug 12, 2011
Your last point is essentially what I’m saying. No knock on Randolph, but he’s a depth guy ideally. Was hoping to see Latham or Brockermeyer seize the T spots.
The more I think about it, the more I think Steen is coming and the coaches know. that means they're letting Randolph get the LT reps now, holding the spot for Steen through spring, and that let's Latham focus on reps at RT instead of him taking the LT reps now, then swapping sides once Steen arrives. With all the issues we had at last season, moving all the guys around (Owens to OC, then on the bench, George underperforming, but Owens not doing all that great either) and the only looks at the spot KR got were in the second half of New Mexico State, plus his reps as the in-line blocking TE tapered off from the prior year.

bamaga

Hall of Fame
Apr 29, 2002
JAWJA
I was more adding to your post, not being argumentative. Unless KR added serious muscle and gotten a lot better with his footwork , he will not be the left or right tackle. I hope to see Latham or Brockermeyer or someone step up at left tackle.

Reactions: Nolan

TideMan09

Hall of Fame
Jan 17, 2009
Anniston, Alabama
I'm not sure what it's called, but, I bet they have those machines that has two spinning tires & when you place the football between the tires..

It's throws the football as hard as any QB in the NFL or on the college football level..

A bunch of reps off those machines will definitely make the player's concentrate on the football as hard as it throws the football to them..

Improving hand/eye coordination or I would think so anyways..

Reactions: seebell

russtang

All-American
Apr 11, 2007
Central Alabama
www.uniquetitanium.com
I'm not sure what it's called, but, I bet they have those machines that has two spinning tires & when you place the football between the tires..

It's throws the football as hard as any QB in the NFL or on the college football level..

A bunch of reps off those machines will definitely make the player's concentrate on the football as hard as it throws the football to them..

Improving hand/eye coordination or I would think so anyways..
JUGS machine

Reactions: seebell

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.