Game Thread: Notre Dame vs Ohio State (9/4 ABC)

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
I know it wont happen, but this should take Notre Dame out of playoff talk. A 1 loss team without a conference championship does not deserve a spot
I don't necessarily agree.

They looked good against a team a lot of pundits think will win the national title.

If they were the only team to beat Clemson and also beat USC - it would depend on the other resumes, but those would at least provide a context that would defend their selection.

I'm NOT advocating for it, but I don't think they're out of the hunt yet (necessarily).

===============================

Let me caution everyone about something else: remember last year when Ohio St didn't look all that great against Minnesota (even though they won) and then they choked jobbed it AT HOME against Oregon?

And then up until the Michigan game, they blew every other opponent off the field except for Nebraska because, hey, it's Nebraska and they're tough.

Don't read too much into one game - for anybody.

Windsortide

All-American
Nov 11, 2019
ND played much tougher than I suspected but they have offensive issues going forward. Buckeyes did a good job doing what was needed to pull out the win.

Reactions: B1GTide

Isaiah 63:1

All-American
Dec 8, 2005
Probably at 35k or in an airport somewhere
the 1 loss was from playing IN a conference championship. Notre Dame does not have the opportunity to play in a conference championship
Maybe, but that's not what you originally argued. I suspect the argument you wanted to make was that any one-loss team not playing in a Power 5 conference must be excluded by the CFP committee under the current playoff arrangement. I don't necessarily agree with that position, but one could craft an apologetic for it (riffing off Rece's use of "exegesis" on Gameday yesterday)...

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
There are still "experts" picking notre dame to make the playoffs.
I realize if you lose on the road at #2 to open the year, it should not necessarily knock you out of contention. I just couldn't consider them anymore after knowing their history of the last 3 decades.

Right now, at least having not yet seen LSU or Clemson, it looks like to me it is Alabama and Georgia and then a huge gap to everyone else.

uafan4life

Hall of Fame
Mar 30, 2001
Florence, AL
Ohio State did not struggle to a tough win against a Top-5 team. At least, we can't say that for certain.

Rankings, at this point, are worth less than the toilet paper I flushed down the toilet this morning.

If Notre Dame, Oregon, and Florida all end with no more than eight wins on the season, that takes all the luster off of the actual or moral victories being currently claimed for Ohio State, Georgia, and Utah.

All we can say for sure is that neither Notre Dame, Oregon, Utah, nor Florida are elite teams this season. Anything else is an overreaction...

bamaga

Hall of Fame
Apr 29, 2002
JAWJA
I was listening to a radio app on my phone while at work. I was listening to The Horn in Elgin , Tx when i moved my phone it changed stations to the Fan in Columbus, oh. Ryan Day was talking in a presser, and he basically said the reason for the low scoring game was they knew they needed to learn to win a grind it out game , because they knew they will have to win one down the road. So, i guess losing at halftime was by design. I like Ryan Day, but most of that presser was garbage. I can not believe he said that.

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
I was listening to a radio app on my phone while at work. I was listening to The Horn in Elgin , Tx when i moved my phone it changed stations to the Fan in Columbus, oh. Ryan Day was talking in a presser, and he basically said the reason for the low scoring game was they knew they needed to learn to win a grind it out game , because they knew they will have to win one down the road. So, i guess losing at halftime was by design. I like Ryan Day, but most of that presser was garbage. I can not believe he said that.
Geez. Why not just say it was a tough hard fought season-opening game? No need to try to make yourself look better by claiming it was all by design.

Maybe Notre Dame is really good. Maybe Ohio State's defense is really good for a change. No one knows, and Day could have taken advantage of that.

You play to win the game. Period.

Reactions: bamaga

OSUTideFan

All-American
Dec 17, 2019
Indiana
Geez. Why not just say it was a tough hard fought season-opening game? No need to try to make yourself look better by claiming it was all by design.

Maybe Notre Dame is really good. Maybe Ohio State's defense is really good for a change. No one knows, and Day could have taken advantage of that.

You play to win the game. Period.
Notre Dame is a consistent top ten team, also consistently overrated.

this was a survive and advance kind of game for the bucks.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
Are you saying that he said they intentionally didn't score to make it close?

I get a coach reflecting on a poor effort and saying they could learn a lesson from being in a low scoring game, but I've never heard of a coach saying they intentionally didn't score. Nobody is going to believe that Ryan Day!

BamaNation

Publisher and Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Apr 9, 1999
Silicon Slopes
TideFans.com
ok I decided to keep going

Notre Dame vs top 10 teams

2022 loss to ohio state
2021: loss to number 9 oklahoma state and number 7 cinci
2020: beat number 1 clemson without trevor lawrence, lost to number 3 clemson, lost to number 1 alabama
2019: lost to number 3 Georgia
2018: beat number 7 stanford, lost to number 2 clemson
2017: lost to number 7 Miami
2016: no top 10 games
2015: lost to number 7 ohio state
2014: lost to number 4 FSU
2013: lost to number 8 Stanford
2012: vacated
2011: lost to number 4 stanford
2010: no top 10 games
2009: lost to number 6 USC and number 8 pitt
2008: lost to number 5 USC
2007: lost to number 4 boston college
2006: lost to number 3 USC and number 4 LSU
2005: lost to number 1 USC and number 4 Ohio State
2004: lost to number 1 USC
2003: lost to number 5 michigan and number 5 USC
2002 beat number 7 michigan, lost to number 6 USC
2001: lost to number 4 nebraska and number 7 TN
2000: lost to number 1 nebraska and number 5 Oregon State

Notre Dame vs top 10 teams since 2000 is 3-28
I revise my previous comment to “so you’re saying they are REALLY overrated?”

if they are going to insist on remaining an independent CFP needs to do some kind of quality control stress test on them.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
Notre Dame is a consistent top ten team, also consistently overrated.

this was a survive and advance kind of game for the bucks.
This is reasonable and also proof why we don't need an expanded playoff to determine the national champion. The gap between the top three teams and the fourth team is larger than the gap between team four and team ten. Every. Damn. Year.

THREE CONTENDERS AND A PRETENDER

Contenders - Alabama, Ohio St, Oregon
Pretender - FSU

Contenders - Alabama, Oklahoma, Clemson
Pretender - Michigan St

Contenders - Alabama, Clemson, Ohio St
Pretender - Washington

Contenders - Alabama, Georgia
Pretenders - Clemson, Oklahoma

Contenders - Alabama, Clemson
Pretenders - Oklahoma, Notre Dame

Contenders - LSU, Ohio St, Clemson
Pretender - Oklahoma

Contenders - Alabama, Ohio St, Clemson
Pretender - Notre Dame

Contenders - Alabama, Georgia, Michigan (barely)
Pretenders - Cincinnati

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
ok I decided to keep going

Notre Dame vs top 10 teams

2022 loss to ohio state
2021: loss to number 9 oklahoma state and number 7 cinci
2020: beat number 1 clemson without trevor lawrence, lost to number 3 clemson, lost to number 1 alabama
2019: lost to number 3 Georgia
2018: beat number 7 stanford, lost to number 2 clemson
2017: lost to number 7 Miami
2016: no top 10 games
2015: lost to number 7 ohio state
2014: lost to number 4 FSU
2013: lost to number 8 Stanford
2012: vacated
2011: lost to number 4 stanford
2010: no top 10 games
2009: lost to number 6 USC and number 8 pitt
2008: lost to number 5 USC
2007: lost to number 4 boston college
2006: lost to number 3 USC and number 4 LSU
2005: lost to number 1 USC and number 4 Ohio State
2004: lost to number 1 USC
2003: lost to number 5 michigan and number 5 USC
2002 beat number 7 michigan, lost to number 6 USC
2001: lost to number 4 nebraska and number 7 TN
2000: lost to number 1 nebraska and number 5 Oregon State

Notre Dame vs top 10 teams since 2000 is 3-28
Notre Dame beat two top ten teams in 2012.

No amount of "but it was later vacated" changes the fact they won the games.

And "they beat them without Trevor Lawrence" is an excuse right up there with "if Colt hadn't gotten hurt."

I mean, are you gonna put "Georgia beat Alabama without their two best receivers but actually lost when those two guys played"?

No, and you shouldn't.

Vacated wins is a "punishment" that needs to be vacated unless one can prove intent. Louisiana Tech still recalls getting skull dragged 56-3 by us and no amount of "but that was vacated" makes that feel any better.

And btw - since it's legal to pay players anyway now, the record books need to be revised. (Always amuses me OU got their wins back but Alabama doesn't, but I digress).

Last edited:
Reactions: FaninLA and dtgreg

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.