ADMIN NOTE: Now a Utahn ... Anyone else in SLC area?

BamaNation

Publisher and Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Apr 9, 1999
Silicon Slopes
TideFans.com
TL;DR
BamaNation now lives in SLC area. Looking to see if any TF members / visitors are in the area?

Well, your humble Benevolent Dictator (me), Mrs. BamaNation, & the BamaNation girls have moved west...

We have begun a new adventure in the greater Salt Lake City area prompted by Mrs. BN's job. We have had prior moves to NYC, London, Cleveland, and ATL over the last 25 years but this was different. This process has been in the works since last summer so the last 12 months have been pretty crazy in trying to figure out what we wanted to do, the logistics of doing it, school visits, house searches, etc., all in the age of COVID restrictions, social distancing requirements, and uncertainty.

We bought a house here in April (made the offer after "touring it" with our agent via a facetime chat), visited schools and looked at areas for housing in November and closed on house here in April (10 day close(!)), and then closed on selling our ATL house last week. Many of you may have had similar 'big changes in your lives but this one was, for us, much harder - and more exciting - because we had never lived west of the Mississippi River and had never contemplated doing so.

This, all the while complicated by COVID 19, crazy housing supply/demand issues (in both ATL & UT), and being 2000 miles away). This is one of the areas that MANY Silicon Valley people are moving out of Cali to come to. It's an area now called Silicon Slopes because of all the high tech firms moving here (or at least relocating staff here) because COL is less than SF and the appeal of being 15 minutes from the slopes & hiking etc. People are buying houses here sight unseen with zero contingencies ... with cash money. Hard to compete with that but somehow we did.

We took a week-long scenic drive to SLC through St. Louis, Hannibal MO, Walnut Grove MN, De Smet SD, Badlands SD, Mt Rushmore & Crazy Horse & Devil's Tower, down through Wyoming and into SLC on Friday. We're now in our house and internet was connected on Monday night so all is well now. :D

We're about 15 miles south of SLC center city and near the base of the Wasatch Mountain range and only about 30 minutes from Park City, and 15 from Alta, & Snowbird for you skiers who do those sorts of things. :)

I expect nothing on the TideFans.com front to change at all so this is only a FYI post and a bit of fishing to see if any other members are in the greater SLC area. Anyone? Anyone?

PS> The pic was taken from my deck last night. I'm continually amazed at the scenery and views in every direction no matter where you are out here.

1623861830945.png

Last edited:

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
New Smyrna Beach, Florida
NICE!!! Congrats on the move out west, Brett! Some beautiful country out that way.

I've visited some of the western states but don't think Utah was one of them.

I'm sure you will hear from some of the Bama Nation folks out there, as they seem to populate the entire planet!

Thanks for all you do for us - (we're not worthy)..... :)

Go Bama

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
16outa17essee
I love the scenery in SLC. It's a great area for outdoor sports. My bicycle is a Fezzari Wasatch made in SLC. The last time my family was out that way we went to Promontory Point and were literally the only people there.

SLC is a long way from anywhere, but any direction you drive out of the city is amazing scenery. And you've got the Jazz.

I would love living there.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
Congrats...enjoy the lower humidity.

Utah is literally one of my favorite states I've ever visited. The whole state should be a state park.

And you are only a day's drive from almost anywhere in the western half of the country.

BamaNation

Staff member
Apr 9, 1999
Silicon Slopes
TideFans.com
Congrats...enjoy the lower humidity.

was 95 here yesterday with <10% humidity.

Not yet used to getting in my car in the morning and not needing a shirt change for the 8 foot walk through the garage! Sat on deck last nigh at 90 degrees and totally enjoyed it and the view. Humidity is demonic IMHO :D

:D

DzynKingRTR

TideFans Legend
Dec 17, 2003
Vinings, ga., usa
was 95 here yesterday with <10% humidity.

Not yet used to getting in my car in the morning and not needing a shirt change for the 8 foot walk through the garage! Sat on deck last night at 90 degrees and totally enjoyed it and the view. Humidity is demonic IMHO :D

:D
Meanwhile, I have been getting air quality alerts all day here in Atlanta.

jabcmb

All-American
Feb 1, 2006
Birmingham, AL
Always loved Utah for skiing in winter and outdoors activities in other seasons. We loved Park City/Deer Valley because if you caught an early enough flight from Birmingham in the morning, you could be skiing that wonderful powder that same afternoon. It’s a big state, and a road trip including Zion, Bryce, and Arches National Parks makes great memories. Good luck as you settle in. Some envy here.

BamaNation

Staff member
Apr 9, 1999
Silicon Slopes
TideFans.com
SLC is amazing - I visit several times every year on business. It is amazing to me that you can be sitting in 100 degree heat and see snow in the Wasatch mountains only a few miles away.
You're right - There is still snow on the peaks above our house even today. It's a discombobulating sight to this native Alabamian!

1623872608810.png

edwd58

All-American
Aug 2, 2006
Years ago work took me to Snowbird in the fall of the year. We visited SLC during some of the free time. Plenty of sites and activities to take in there. The Wasatch Mountains are awesome. On the other hand, the Great Salt Lake was not only disappointing, but just plain nasty.

BamaNation

Staff member
Apr 9, 1999
Silicon Slopes
TideFans.com
Everything in the west looks so BIG compared to the east. I've never not enjoyed a visit out there. Enjoy the new home!
I'll post some pics from the long trip we took later. For those that have never driven across Iowa, South Dakota, Wyoming - you're absolutely correct ... there's a BIG country out there ! :D

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.