Oats calling K out ... apologizes directly to Coach K later

teamplayer

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2001
cullman, al, usa
As a second year coach at Alabama, I doubt that I would have said anything about one of the best coaches in the history of the sport. However, if he felt like it was something that needed to be said, then more power to him, I guess.

I would probably take down your link, though, because it has some salty language in there. The profanity meter is pretty tight around here.

DzynKingRTR

TideFans Legend
Dec 17, 2003
Vinings, ga., usa
Coach K and his team lost by 15 points at home to Illinois. He immediately after the game said they shouldn't be playing. Coach Oats isn't wrong here. He wouldn't be saying this if his team was undefeated. This is the same thing as the asterisk crowd for football. When your team sucks "it doesn't count this year"

Padreruf

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2001
Charleston, South Carolina
Coach K and his team lost by 15 points at home to Illinois. He immediately after the game said they shouldn't be playing. Coach Oats isn't wrong here. He wouldn't be saying this if his team was undefeated. This is the same thing as the asterisk crowd for football. When your team sucks "it doesn't count this year"
He's dead on correct...glad to hear him say it.

bamamc1

Hall of Fame
Oct 24, 2011
Haleyville, AL
He may have to have another back surgery Blue font.

Reactions: Padreruf

Isaiah 63:1

All-American
Dec 8, 2005
Probably at 35k or in an airport somewhere
Unless you know for a fact what someone’s ulterior motive is, it’s usually a good idea not to impute it.

I’d have preferred he bolstered his desire to play the season with talking points like Saban used: we think our kids are safer here; the data from colleges shows that infections are generally not serious (my data are old, but a couple of months ago colleges had reported something like 25000 cases and zero hospitalizations); list the steps we’re taking to keep our kids healthy; etc.

Padreruf

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2001
Unless you know for a fact what someone’s ulterior motive is, it’s usually a good idea not to impute it.

I’d have preferred he bolstered his desire to play the season with talking points like Saban used: we think our kids are safer here; the data from colleges shows that infections are generally not serious (my data are old, but a couple of months ago colleges had reported something like 25000 cases and zero hospitalizations); list the steps we’re taking to keep our kids healthy; etc.
Pretty good advice...but Nate Oates did get Alabama basketball on the front page for the first time in a while.

Leeroy

All-SEC
Dec 27, 2005
Glad Coach O said it, as it needed to be said. Too many using Covid as an excuse, or a prop

BamaNation

Publisher and Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Apr 9, 1999
Silicon Slopes
TideFans.com
Went with my brother (who was a HS hoops coach) to a HS coaching clinic in Vegas years ago and Coach K was one of the sessions demonstrating some things using players from the local college. Every other word out of his mouth was profane. It was literally so bad that a bunch of people - including us - walked out. #notafanofK

• Wow
Reactions: Con and TiderJack

TitleWave

All-American
Dec 3, 2012
But...but...K built a chapel in his Mum’s namesake honor at Duke!

The other K - Kornheiser - went off on a (scripted) rant on PTI against Oats that could be a great recruiting tool for ‘Bama’s (and Buffalo’s) (and Wisc.-Whitewater’s) programs, seeking scorched scoreboard retribution for Oats’ uppityness to the Venerable K -

bvandegraff

All-American
Mar 13, 2014
Albuquerque, NM
If a football coach on Oats level said something like this towards Saban, it wouldn’t be pretty on here.
Gotta admit I cringed a little when he said it for this reason. While I don't disagree with the sentiment or care about members of media getting the vapors over it, maybe wait till Bama's where he wants them to be before lobbing verbal Molotovs....

Padreruf

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2001
Went with my brother (who was a HS hoops coach) to a HS coaching clinic in Vegas years ago and Coach K was one of the sessions demonstrating some things using players from the local college. Every other word out of his mouth was profane. It was literally so bad that a bunch of people - including us - walked out. #notafanofK
A few years ago when we lived by Clemson Coach K went on a tirade for the entire 2nd half...totally vulgar. His AD made him write a letter of apology that was read to the season ticket holders behind the Duke bench. I lost all respect for him...and a lot for Duke. Once in a while...I get it. Every other word...no class.

• Thank You
Reactions: BamaNation

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.